Texas Fishing Forum

Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard

Posted By: Bryan O'

Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/18/17 03:03 PM

It's been posted here before, but with the high water levels over the past couple of years it's not been a problem. Well, it's back! There is a BIG stump just off of the Castle Boykins ramp (the new one by the pavilion), and as of Saturday, it's just under water level. It pops it's head out with wave action, but it's real hard to see. I dropped a pin on it and it's at N31.12.799 W094.21.136 I think it is actually a floater standing up in that area, but rest assured, it'd ruin your day if you hit it running. I lined it up to be ~ 100 yards straight off the west end of the fishing dock, and ~ 150 yards diagonal off the ramp towards the deer stand area. It's in about 26' of water.

Hope this helps and saves a prop, lower unit or hull.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/18/17 03:19 PM

It's been there forever. Someone should mark it again with a jug
Posted By: Walls

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/18/17 04:32 PM

I was out there yesterday and could have marked it if I had known beforehand. It was flat calm and about 20-30 yards visibility for most of the day yesterday (fog). Damndest thing I've seen weather wise. It still wasn't burnt off when I left at 3. I basically idled from Cassels area to Harvey and marked two other big widow-makers that were way too close to the tracks I've been running. One is between Cassels and the bridge, The other is a monster about halfway back in Harvey. Both are level with the water now. I will get the waypoints off of my graph tomorrow and post em up.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/18/17 09:54 PM

At this level actually quite a few north of the 147 and towards canyons. It's not as wide open as it looks
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/18/17 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: 5X3Phoenix
The other is a monster about halfway back in Harvey. Both are level with the water now. I will get the waypoints off of my graph tomorrow and post em up.

I think the one in Harvey is in Ken Smith's video. I added it to my unit.
Posted By: Bryan O'

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/18/17 11:23 PM

Ken has a video about the same one there at the Castle Boykins ramp. I don't know of any video he's done of the one in Harvey. There are also 3 I have marked that are between the point there going by the old CB ramp, and the bridge. Probably closer to the bridge than the point. I dropped pins on them in the past. I actually saw them this last weekend. When you see one like that, turn around (if you have time) and drop a pin on it, then put either the warning sign/icon on it, or the scull and cross bones icon. Reminds me to steer clear.
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/18/17 11:31 PM

I have the 4 rail road ties that were the bridge over the creek in the back of Harvey on my mapping video, those should still be 2-3 feet under the water. Bryan I am not sure if the one I have on the "Rayburn Trouble" video is the same one you have marked....like you said those are floaters but they are hung generally in the same area. That whole area and the area out in front of the old CB ramp around the river scares the crud out of me because of all those massive, bad end up, floaters. I also think somebody mentioned the other day there is a nasty floater in the long cut right now as well, kind of right middle of the boat lane running up river.
Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/19/17 02:25 AM

Let the water go down about another 3-4’ and see what y’all have been running all over between Cassels Boykin and the bridge. There are 12-15 huge stumps out there.

Hopefully this low lake level is reminding people about the Ember Forest again, too. I’ve seen waayyyy too many people running it the past year or so.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/19/17 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors
Let the water go down about another 3-4’ and see what y’all have been running all over between Cassels Boykin and the bridge. There are 12-15 huge stumps out there.

Hopefully this low lake level is reminding people about the Ember Forest again, too. I’ve seen waayyyy too many people running it the past year or so.

Same way in buck bay. People don't know what's in there and there's only one small lane that goes so far back. Outside that lane it's just like toledo.
Posted By: RO519

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/19/17 04:44 PM

Crazy what a few years of high water will do to people. They think they can run all over the lake...

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/19/17 11:52 PM

Big one between Cassel and bridge going south
N 31 13.296 W 094 20.374 in 28 fow

Big one towards back of Harvey before tree line
N 31 14.875 W 094 15.994 in 13 fow

It was a flat calm day and both were at water level.
Posted By: C130

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/20/17 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: 5X3Phoenix
Big one between Cassel and bridge going south
N 31 13.296 W 094 20.374 in 28 fow

Big one towards back of Harvey before tree line
N 31 14.875 W 094 15.994 in 13 fow

It was a flat calm day and both were at water level.

Thanks for posting.

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/20/17 03:49 AM

Youre welcome. Both of those are going to ruin someone’s day, guaranteed. I hope not, but they’re both right where I have run in the past and I only followed others in the beginning. But I know Jaret is right and there are a dozen others lurking.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/20/17 12:40 PM

Most of the ones mentioned are floaters. They've been around for many a year. The one infront of cb is a floater I think...... I do not remember it when the lake was 10' low many years ago. At that time CB was the only ramp to use up here
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Rayburn - Castle Boykins Hazard - 12/20/17 12:52 PM

There are little patches up and down the whole lake. Once you get to five fingers there's a few patches right by the river channel with a few singles on the flats in front of Coleman and Norris. There's one big one as you come around the point headed in to norris. Pretty sire somebody smoked that one one day while we were fishing. He had to hit something but they kept going so we never got to check on them. There's some singles out in front of caney also. There's a big single out in front of San Augustine ramp also, it's out right now but I've ran over it a few times when the lake was up. I have it marked now but don't have the coords on it to post. People that haven't ever seen that lake 5 or 6ft low or really when it was real low have no idea what they are really running over. You can hit one out in the middle of nowhere like the one out in front of needmore.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum