Texas Fishing Forum

Which is a better Boat / Motor combo?

Posted By: Tidwell77

Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 03:44 PM

Im needing info on which is a better boat and motor these days.
Which model:
1. Phoenix 920XP or 921XP with a Mercury PROXS 250
or
2. Skeeter FX21 with a Yamaha SHO 250

I think they both run the same as in top speed but i could be wrong. I'm also curious how they fish with 2 people (like does the Phoenix rock side to side) and which one rides better in rough water. I know skeeter used to get spider cracks in the gel coat but don't know if this has been resolved.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 03:47 PM

Bet this was one is pretty much even.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 04:02 PM

Both are great products. This would be preference related. Four stroke vs two stroke, weight difference between hulls, layouts, etc.
Posted By: squib

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 04:54 PM

Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 04:59 PM

Yeah this will be good. popcorn

I will tell you this. Those two boats rigged identically at Fun N Sun, the Phoenix is $2K more expensive.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 05:02 PM

I'm in my 3rd Phoenix (all 920s) and I'll still take them over a Skeeter. I've been in both, a LOT.

With the trolling motor down, they both fish great, just depends on what storage layout you prefer.

As far as performance goes, a Skeeter with a 250 SHO will jump out of the hole on me, but the Phoenix (set up RIGHT) will pull out and walk away on the big end. I feel like the Phoenix has a little more water spray when running an angle in rough water than the Skeeter for whatever it's worth.

Change the oil or add it yourself, that's pretty much what it comes down to. Both hulls are great, and the Skeeter takes much less driver input than the Phoenix...but that just comes with the territory when running a fast hull like the Phoenix has. Just my personal opinion.

If I were boat shopping, my top 3 choices would be:

Phoenix 920 Pro XP
Triton 20 TrX
Skeeter FX 20

Pro XS or Yamaha SHO, both are great and I'd run either one in a heartbeat.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 05:03 PM

You should go ride in both on a rough day. Should be pretty easy to do in your area. They're both great fishing platforms and wayyyyyyy overpriced new- but to each their own. Personally I'd be looking for a SHO on the Phoenix as well, but I am extremely biased on that one.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 06:01 PM

Both of those Phoenix boats are much faster than an FX 21. The FX 21 is not built for speed, it's like a Cadillac. I love my FX 21 and probably won't own another brand. The fit and finish is top of the line and the attention to detail will suit anyone. Go take a ride in both and decide for yourself. There aren't many brands out there that are as popular as those 2 currently, Phoenix especially. I've fiddled around in a Phoenix 921 Pro XP before and wasn't totally impressed with the attention to detail. They seem too simple for me. I like gadgets and things; Phoenix didn't have that in my opinion. Side by side, the Skeeter looks bigger and better. Everyone knows, when the trolling motor is down it's hard to beat a Skeeter or Ranger. The FX 21 has a super stable platform and the storage is ample underneath. I believe the FX 21 has the better ride too. But like I said earlier, Phoenix boats are incredibly popular right now and I can see why. They're just not for me though.

I kinda look at it this way: If you want a luxurious boat, go with the Skeeter. If you want a sports car for a boat, go with the Phoenix.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 06:08 PM

Saw 7 boats in parking lot recently, 2 were Phoenix. Found that interesting. It is definitely gaining in polararity. Especially with Fun-N-Sun taking them on

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 06:13 PM

They're quite expensive i agree so thats why i ask cause i want to make sure that my money is spent wisely. lol
I have owned several ZX250 and a ZX225 but not a Phoenix. I dont see very many used Phoenix boats for sale compared to skeeter but that could be because the market is flooded with skeeters vs Phoenix idk. So any input is very much appreciated. My biggest concern is the rocking back n forth like champions did when the guy in the back moved from one side to another.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 06:23 PM

Are you looking for top end speed, fishing ability, rough water ability?
Fishing platform - skeeter
Driving (speed & rough water) - Basscat

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Tidwell77
They're quite expensive i agree so thats why i ask cause i want to make sure that my money is spent wisely. lol
I have owned several ZX250 and a ZX225 but not a Phoenix. I dont see very many used Phoenix boats for sale compared to skeeter but that could be because the market is flooded with skeeters vs Phoenix idk. So any input is very much appreciated. My biggest concern is the rocking back n forth like champions did when the guy in the back moved from one side to another.

In my opinion, a 921 is absolutely as stable of a fishing platform as any other 21'+ boat out there with the TM down. My tx partner and I fished out of one for two years and loved everything about it. I'm in a 920 now and captain a healthy HS team that is all over the deck all day and I don't notice anything. Like said earlier, Fun N Sun carries both and is up there in your area- give em a call to set up a demo.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 06:45 PM

When running into/against a crosswind, you'll get beat to hell in a Skeeter. I guess it's their flat sides, but I do not care for the way any Skeeters handle. They are "easy" to drive but under several circumstances they will beat you up!
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
When running into/against a crosswind, you'll get beat to hell in a Skeeter. I guess it's their flat sides, but I do not care for the way any Skeeters handle. They are "easy" to drive but under several circumstances they will beat you up!

I'll put my 10year old Skeeter up against any other 20ft boat on the market for rough water, crosswind, or whatever you got.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 08:33 PM

Great another pissing match...Here we go

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
Great another pissing match...Here we go

Go get your popcorn

I'm ready to run title-for-title!

Or bet Steez $500, whichever comes first...
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 08:49 PM

I personally don't think it matters one bit which new 70K bass boat you purchase. You're going to absolutely love it. If speed is your primary factor get the fast boat.

People will argue minor details on here all day long. Whatever boat they are driving will be the best. grin

Just go and demo the Skeeter and Phoenix at Fun N Sun and get the one you like best.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 08:55 PM

May want to:

Im needing info on which is a better boat and motor these days.
Which model:
1. Phoenix 920XP or 921XP with a Mercury PROXS 250
or
2. Skeeter FX21 with a Yamaha SHO 250

3. Hold off and see what the Vexus looks like.

If they do what Phoenix did, they will come out with a top quality product and be $10K less than the other premium boats until they build a prostaff. Then they will go up to the same price or above the rest.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 08:56 PM

I just want to know if you dump both of them at the ramp unattended............do their rubrails match up?

To the OP, with the number of guys that jumped from Skeeter to Phoenix this year, I'm sure you could find someone to go on a demo ride with if you ask around.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 08:57 PM

Neither the Phoenix, nor the Skeeter will rock back and forth like a Champion. Not even close.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

I'll put my 10year old Skeeter up against any other 20ft boat on the market for rough water, crosswind, or whatever you got.

I agree. Tritons are terrible. Very poor.
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 09:31 PM

I own a pretty fancy paddle boat, even has a bimini top! I have a skeeter emblem on one side and a phoenix on the other. To this day, no one has been able to out peddle me on the skeeter side. Hope this level of detail helps.
Posted By: dlwfish

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 09:39 PM

Last year I was on the fence... FX21 or 921

The FX21 fit my wants and needs better so that’s what I went with...

I’ve been pretty pleased but I’m sure the 921 would have been a good rig too.

Layout, ride & SHO sealed the deal.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
I just want to know if you dump both of them at the ramp unattended............do their rubrails match up?.

Bravo to you sir!! You win this thread. flehan

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 10:51 PM

Some good comments and even some funny, i like it.
Now what is it that you specifically like about the one you have or wish yours had that the other doesn't. I know we all have bought a boat before and then later wished it had this or it did that. Thats what i wanna know cause i know the hulls have changed since my last 08 ZX250 and the layout of the skeeters has changed a bit. Keep'em coming cause im relying on yall for details and i will get a demo in them both as well.
Posted By: lucky55

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/08/17 11:15 PM

[quote=Txduckhunter]I just want to know if you dump both of them at the ramp unattended............do their rubrails match up?

roflmao
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/09/17 12:24 AM

When I win the lottery, I’m getting a 921 with etec G2..
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/09/17 06:59 PM

Bassmaster magazine had the Phoenix 721 Pro XP for $56,995.00 and the FX 21 for $68,995.00. Both are too rich for my blood.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/09/17 09:51 PM

I think the 921 Pro XP is right there with the FX21, maybe even a little higher. Doubt you could go wrong with either but based on current experience I will only own a SHO. Quietest, most efficient and dependable outboard I have ever owned.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/09/17 11:39 PM

I will put my Ranger 521 up against.....oh y'all weren't talking to me were you? :-)
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/09/17 11:42 PM

BassCat with either motor.
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 12:47 AM

I have no dog in the hunt. I don't own either brand, but I've fished out of both. Of the two, I'd choose Phoenix without hesitation. Even with the fugly wings.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 01:35 AM

The absolute best thing you can do is go for a ride in both. Then you decide . I've been in both and based on experience I own a phoenix. I did go with a 721. The 920 just wasn't worth the extra coin to me and I preferred the length to the width. Extremely happy with my decision. Get the SHO or the verado. No more 2 strokes for me. All those boats you mentioned are extremely nice and capable boats. The phoenix will be faster with the 920, it will ride better, and it will fish great. The skeeter will fish great and ride pretty good but I think phoenix will be better
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 01:42 AM

Had both and now in a Cat but of those 2 I would go Phoenix for overall better rough water better layout faster and better customer service. But go with a Yamaha on it.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 01:56 AM

You need to go ride in them. They are both good boats. The Phoenix will out ride the Skeeter and will be faster. The lay out is your preference. The ride on a rough day will go to the 921 without a doubt. The Phoenix lands real soft to keep from jarring your back. You won't go wrong with either.

best of luck and congrats on which ever boat you get.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
I think the 921 Pro XP is right there with the FX21, maybe even a little higher. Doubt you could go wrong with either but based on current experience I will only own a SHO. Quietest, most efficient and dependable outboard I have ever owned.
agree. You're not gonna find a better motor than and Yamaha 4-stroke. You almost forget it's running, until you stomp the hotfoot. Lowend punch is incredible.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
agree. You're not gonna find a better motor than and Yamaha 4-stroke. You almost forget it's running, until you stomp the hotfoot. Lowend punch is incredible.

Not to bash the 2 strokes, I've owned every brand made, but there's no comparison to a SHO. Know nothing about the Mercury 4 strokes because I've never seen one on a glass bass boat. I have the 150 SHO on a Skeeter ZX190 and have O complaints. Performs to the max during all seasons and I can do ALL the maintenance myself. thumb
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: TX Strampion
I have no dog in the hunt. I don't own either brand, but I've fished out of both. Of the two, I'd choose Phoenix without hesitation. Even with the fugly wings.

no doubt !
it looks like whoever tapes the graphics went to lunch and came back drunk -- to finish the job

beautiful boat other than the "wings"
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 03:45 AM

I've owned both, and my next boat will be another 921. Skeeter makes a great boat, as most manufacturers do, but the ride of the Phoenix is unreal. If you've never ridden in one, do it and you'll see what I mean. The boat is very soft in rough water, doesn't slap like a Skeeter. With the trolling motor down, the edge goes to the Phoenix. For the simple fact that Skeeters sit nose up and high in the water, and if you fish offshore, the nose gets blown around in wind. They both are very stable, and the SHO is a great motor. It's roughly 1800-2k more than the ProXs, so keep in mind that's about 5-6 years of purchasing oil at Fun-n-Sun's bulk price to make up the difference. Not too bad if you think of it that way.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
Originally Posted By: TX Strampion

no doubt !
it looks like whoever tapes the graphics went to lunch and came back drunk -- to finish the job

beautiful boat other than the "wings"

FYI, you can order the wings the same gel as the hull and hardly see em, if at all. I don’t pay attention to them. People usually only see em on the trailer or when being passed- and thats a quick look.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 07:12 AM

Originally Posted By: DEFMP
I've owned both, and my next boat will be another 921. Skeeter makes a great boat, as most manufacturers do, but the ride of the Phoenix is unreal. If you've never ridden in one, do it and you'll see what I mean. The boat is very soft in rough water, doesn't slap like a Skeeter. With the trolling motor down, the edge goes to the Phoenix. For the simple fact that Skeeters sit nose up and high in the water, and if you fish offshore, the nose gets blown around in wind. They both are very stable, and the SHO is a great motor. It's roughly 1800-2k more than the ProXs, so keep in mind that's about 5-6 years of purchasing oil at Fun-n-Sun's bulk price to make up the difference. Not too bad if you think of it that way.

One must consider the cost of 4 cycle oil/filters during the same period when making a 2 cycle/4 cycle economic comparison. I understand that is not cheap for some, but have no clue about SHO.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Originally Posted By: DEFMP

One must consider the cost of 4 cycle oil/filters during the same period when making a 2 cycle/4 cycle economic comparison. I understand that is not cheap for some, but have no clue about SHO.

I buy the complete oil change kit ( 5 qts. oil, filter, O rings and drain tube ) on ebay for $79.00 and do the change myself. Takes about 15 minutes. Yamaha recommends changing oil once a year but I imagine guides would change more often. Four strokes burn less gas also. Love my SHO.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 01:41 PM

I've rode in Gleason's Phoenix at Toledo Bend, and rode in a Triton at OH Ivie. I never rode in a Skeeter before buying one. But I bought a ZX250 2 years ago with the 250 Yamaha SHO, 2 power poles, 3 graphs, and more extra stuff, and the price was less than an FX but not by much.
I'm not an expert on boat specs by any means but once on the water, I will say that with two "hefty" fishermen doing their thing, my ZX doesn't rock at all. It's a stable platform and rides very well. With just me in the boat, it will do 70 if I goose it, but after seeing how fast it will go just one time, I don't think I've had it over 5,000 RPM more than once. To me, speed is over rated.
I tend to launch close to where I fish, and don't run the lake very much.
One thing true about all bass boats- once you get the boat full with 2 guys and all of their [censored], no boat is big enough. The last time I caught what looked like "an over" at Fork, I tripped over stuff twice while getting to the net.
All of the boats you mentioned are good boats, just rig them right.
Good luck
Posted By: buch1565

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/10/17 03:36 PM

You might also consider the the quality of trailer to help you decide. For those of you who know (not me), which company makes the best trailer package? Do they come with a coating to protect against rust?
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/11/17 02:40 PM

Out of pure curiosity. Why isn't Triton ever mentioned in topics like these? What is wrong with them that make them not apart of conversations like these. Do they ride terrible in rough water. The layout on the 20TrX and 21TrX look awesome. Honest opinions from people too...don't just say they suck haha.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/11/17 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: buch1565
You might also consider the the quality of trailer to help you decide. For those of you who know (not me), which company makes the best trailer package? Do they come with a coating to protect against rust?

Thats a good question.
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/11/17 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: bassfshin24
Out of pure curiosity. Why isn't Triton ever mentioned in topics like these? What is wrong with them that make them not apart of conversations like these. Do they ride terrible in rough water. The layout on the 20TrX and 21TrX look awesome. Honest opinions from people too...don't just say they suck haha.

Now this has been 10 years ago, but I had a 2001 TR-21. It was a good boat overall, but fit and finish when compared to my Ranger and my current Bass Cat that is 3 years older is very drastic. I hated that cheap plastic fake wood insert. The molding they used around the console was cheap as well and the glue was coming apart. Rod lockers were cheap plastic boxes and the hinges were always off square.

So to me it was the fit and finish just not being as good as the other two. Heck Ranger even installs a tube from the driver to the front deck in a 2002 so I could run wires. The rod lockers and storage is fiberglass just like the Bass Cat.

I didn't dislike my Triton it ran like a scalded dog and handled rough water pretty well. But I have avoided them since then because I don't like dealing with all the little nick nacks that had to be re-glued or changed out to after market parts.

Just an honest answer, not trying to bash.

Oh and since I answered a semi-hijack from the original thread. My reply to the initial queston - neither, buy a BassCat wink J/k I have little experience with Skeeter and Phoenix.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/13/17 01:12 AM

tritons are just fine
i had one and it was fast --but its a handful to drive fast - they will make you a better boat driver ! theyre kinda like flying an airplane it you have ever had that expierience .
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/13/17 01:18 AM

Bass Cat by a long shot makes the best trailer IMHO anyway.
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/13/17 02:09 AM

Brother that is the truth! mine has puckered me a few times they are so light gets scary after 65!
tritons are just fine
i had one and it was fast --but its a handful to drive fast - they will make you a better boat driver ! theyre kinda like flying an airplane it you have ever had that expierience .
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/13/17 02:25 AM

I've got a champion 221 with 250proxs that I'll put up against any Skeeter out there. It can't get too rough...

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/13/17 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Ruffneck2000
Brother that is the truth! mine has puckered me a few times they are so light gets scary after 65!
tritons are just fine

back in the day a good friend of mine had a skeeter wrangler with a 200 merc (with a 150 rating ) --we broke around a point on lake livingston in a strong wind (needless to say there wasnt but about a 2 ft cicrcle in contact with the water) --the wind got under that thing and it stood straight up in the air --i was looking up at blue sky -- he slammed the throttle closed and when it came down it dunked the back six foot of the boat ---needless to say when it all came to rest there was shin deep water in the floorboard and i had a vinyl colonoscopy --- that was my pucker factor of a lifetime !
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/13/17 09:10 PM

Both are good boats. Owned both last year and am in a Phoenix 21 PHX now. Skeeter is tad bit smoother, but the Phoenix handles and drives way better. Boat layouts....Phoenix all day long. Motors....both have their pros and cons. ProXS is a lot faster though.

As far as cross waves mentioned above.....that's 80% driving 20% boat.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/14/17 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey
Both are good boats. Owned both last year and am in a Phoenix 21 PHX now. Skeeter is tad bit smoother, but the Phoenix handles and drives way better. Boat layouts....Phoenix all day long. Motors....both have their pros and cons. ProXS is a lot faster though.

I wouldn't say a lot. They are within 1-2mph
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/14/17 04:56 AM

Y'all correct me if I'm wrong..

But one of the salesmen at Kirks Marine off of 45 told me that a Phoenix is basically a Stratos mixed with a Champion. Like the 2 companies got together and decided to make Phoenix boats..?
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/14/17 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: lamoon78
Had both and now in a Cat but of those 2 I would go Phoenix for overall better rough water better layout faster and better customer service. But go with a Yamaha on it.
had,a,skeeter and it was a great boat but trailers are junk; least back then. I have a basscat puma that I got mainly cause they make their own trailers and love the company. No better customer service out there. Saying that I have a Phoenix 920 on order with darn near every option. I simply like the layout of a 920 better and my buddy has a 721 so I am familiar with the company. The thing that concerns me is leaving the basscat family and hopefully my 920 is as quality of a boat as my puma
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/14/17 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Puma Jim
Originally Posted By: lamoon78
had,a,skeeter and it was a great boat but trailers are junk; least back then. I have a basscat puma that I got mainly cause they make their own trailers and love the company. No better customer service out there. Saying that I have a Phoenix 920 on order with darn near every option. I simply like the layout of a 920 better and my buddy has a 721 so I am familiar with the company. The thing that concerns me is leaving the basscat family and hopefully my 920 is as quality of a boat as my puma

No Caracal or Lynx?

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/14/17 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: dk2429
Y'all correct me if I'm wrong..

But one of the salesmen at Kirks Marine off of 45 told me that a Phoenix is basically a Stratos mixed with a Champion. Like the 2 companies got together and decided to make Phoenix boats..?

I don't think so. The top three guys at Phoenix were the top 3 guys at Stratos. I don't see any Champion influence in the Phoenix boats.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/14/17 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

I think he means the Phoenix/Merc is quite a bit faster than than the Skeeter/Yam rig. I have no dog in this fight but I have owned 20+ Mercs and now 7 Yams. Like them both a lot. Both have their strong points.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/14/17 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

No. They actually are not. The Phoenix/Merc is easily 4-5 mph faster than the FX21/SHO.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/14/17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

I've got a champion 221 with 250proxs that I'll put up against any Skeeter out there. It can't get too rough...

Those are amazing boats Jaret, been in some rough stuff in one a time or two. Never worried once, heII'ava boat.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/14/17 04:02 PM

Unicorn boat!

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/18/17 07:37 PM

I do enjoy going fast im not gonna lie but i also like to have a boat that wont get blown away if im offshore fishing in the wind. Plus im not going to be able to justify buying it brand new cause lets be honest, 70k is a lot of money (well for me it is anyways). Im sure Yamaha and Mercury have their share of blown powerheads but it seem that i see more from Yamaha here the past few years. Honestly as soon as my RV sells i will be willing to spend around 55k or less for a 21' boat. I know that Phoenix doesnt have very many used ones for sell either. So i guess i will entertain a test drive as soon as im able to purchase.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/18/17 08:35 PM

Thats a good question.

I believe Skeeter is building their own trailers now. I’m not sure if they’re under the 2018s, but it’s coming.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/18/17 08:43 PM

Really? You would do this? Want to go against my Champion 210 Elite? LOL
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/18/17 09:39 PM

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/18/17 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Really? You would do this? Want to go against my Champion 210 Elite? LOL

Yes, title for title. Meet at the boat ramp in the moanin'.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/18/17 10:53 PM

Most all boats can run rough water but the question is how many repairs are you going to have to make when you get back to the ramp. I've seen lots of stuff break on boats from trying to make weigh in on Rayburn. Usually electronics and trolling motors.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/18/17 11:42 PM

"It can't get to rough"? Bwahahahaha!! It can always get too rough, and sometimes does, for everything! While I would also "put a Champion against any bass boat for rough water ride" I would never say it couldn't get too rough! You just have obviously not seen "IT".

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/19/17 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V

"It can't get to rough"? Bwahahahaha!! It can always get too rough, and sometimes does, for everything! While I would also "put a Champion against any bass boat for rough water ride" I would never say it couldn't get too rough! You just have obviously not seen "IT".

Same here, shoulda been with me on Rayburn when we had 25 gusting to 40 out of the south. Fortunately I had launched in Caney instead of Twin Dykes like I normally do. I was in a P11 and it does pretty well but 3-4 footers was too much.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/19/17 10:49 PM

Just when i thought Skeeter and Phoenix was expensive new, Ranger had to out do them with their boat at Cabelas that was $105,000.00
Who in their mind would spend 105k for a bass boat? I guess i have been away for too long cause these prices are almost wanting me to go fish on the playstation!

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/20/17 12:27 AM

Just when i thought Skeeter and Phoenix was expensive new, Ranger had to out do them with their boat at Cabelas that was $105,000.00
Who in their mind would spend 105k for a bass boat? I guess i have been away for too long cause these prices are almost wanting me to go fish on the playstation!

You can get it financed for 20 years at $500 per month and be the hottie at all the boat ramps. flehan
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/20/17 12:30 AM

Best combo is mine. Been paided off for a long time , had it's fair share of rough water , ugly and beat up ,won enough tournaments out of it , still spending money on it , and it's a 202 Skeeter 200 Yammie.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/20/17 12:48 AM

No payments on mine either HJ and I agree it's my best combo, ZX190 with a 150 SHO. I won't be the hottie at the boat ramp but nobody follows me around either.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/20/17 01:35 PM

No payments on mine either HJ and I agree it's my best combo, ZX190 with a 150 SHO. I won't be the hottie at the boat ramp but nobody follows me around either.

I'm right there with ya... paid for, and setup perfectly for me. cheers

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/20/17 02:39 PM

TWO WORDS that determine which is the best boat/motor combo......"PAID FOR"
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/20/17 03:00 PM

you took the words right outta my mouth,.. shocked

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/20/17 03:12 PM

Gotta agree with that one. "Paid for" is what makes me not hate mine when it's sitting in the garage when I'm stuck working! laugh

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/20/17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V

Gotta agree with that one. "Paid for" is what makes me not hate mine when it's sitting in the garage when I'm stuck working! laugh

When it gets to about twenty years old, those words started to mean less and less to me. "Nobody is getting out of here alive, and you can't take it with you" started making more sense. banana
Posted By: SkeeterEater

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/20/17 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Both of those Phoenix boats are much faster than an FX 21. The FX 21 is not built for speed, it's like a Cadillac. I love my FX 21 and probably won't own another brand. The fit and finish is top of the line and the attention to detail will suit anyone. Go take a ride in both and decide for yourself. There aren't many brands out there that are as popular as those 2 currently, Phoenix especially. I've fiddled around in a Phoenix 921 Pro XP before and wasn't totally impressed with the attention to detail. They seem too simple for me. I like gadgets and things; Phoenix didn't have that in my opinion. Side by side, the Skeeter looks bigger and better. Everyone knows, when the trolling motor is down it's hard to beat a Skeeter or Ranger. The FX 21 has a super stable platform and the storage is ample underneath. I believe the FX 21 has the better ride too. But like I said earlier, Phoenix boats are incredibly popular right now and I can see why. They're just not for me though.

I kinda look at it this way: If you want a luxurious boat, go with the Skeeter. If you want a sports car for a boat, go with the Phoenix.

A Cadilac....??? Do Cadilacs not have suspension in rough water either?

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 12/20/17 11:07 PM

You can get it financed for 20 years at $500 per month and be the hottie at all the boat ramps. flehan

HAHAHAHA that's what i need to be is the fat ugly hottie at the boat ramps! I think surgery is cheaper if i wanted to be a hottie LOL

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 01/06/18 01:51 AM

105 k ? thats just sick
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 01/06/18 03:21 AM

Well, my latest Big boat is" a ZX250 with the 250 Yamaha SHO. I really like my boat. The only time I've taken the RPM all the way up was when I caught a FX250 with a late model 250 SHO gunning it up past the 155 bridge. I thought I'd " race" him for a while and see what happens. Well, the guy knew we were racing, and I did overtake him and pass him. But I was by myself, and he had a passenger so I guess it wasn't a fair race.
There are two boats that I would own next. One is the 2018 Champion 210 and the other would be a
Ranger 520. The Champion is fast, the Ranger, not so much, but the engine would be the same, a Yamaha 250 SHO.
It is amazing how fast the SHO has gained market share, but there are lots of good reasons it is staying up there in sales.
I have thought about putting one on the 520, but these new Ranger prices are just crazy.
Cabelas in Fort Worth had a 519 Ranger with a 200HP on it for a much better price. Since I fish by myself most of the time, that seems to be a better option.
good luck to all

Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Which is a better Boat / Motor combo? - 01/09/18 09:53 PM

Just my 2 cents... I fish from a 2007 Ranger Z20 and a 2006 Skeeter 20'(not sure what it's called) a lot. Ranger out performs it in every way. I will never own a skeeter.. I have had a Basscat. Bought and sold it for the same money ! It was very good. Also a Triton and the chine walk at high speed made my butt pucker a few times. Never again. No Phoenix experience. They look nice. Choose the dealer you like best and go for it. Owning a great bass boat it like a great wife. Priceless.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum