Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Fork DD Donkey in December

Posted By: BigHead248

Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/07/17 10:19 PM

Man this last trip to Fork was one I'll never forget. It wasn't a day for numbers, but I caught a new PR bass which happened to also be my first DD bass. I can't say thanks enough to Donald Harper for the map work he did. You'll see in the video it paid off.

Take a look and thanks for watching.

Posted By: thefuzz

Re: Lake Fork Donkey in December - 12/07/17 10:25 PM

Nice catch and Donald does good map work!
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Lake Fork Donkey in December - 12/08/17 12:08 AM

Enjoyed the video. Good job!!
Posted By: coachfish

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 12:23 AM

Great video. Looking forward to getting Mr. Harper’s services as a Christmas present this year.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 12:36 AM

Congrats on a new PB! flag

Good job Donald Harper! thumb
Posted By: skins84

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 12:50 AM

Congrats on the awesome fish. I do know I wouldn't put a slot fish in my live well and for sure wouldn't have videoed and posted it.

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: skins84
Congrats on the awesome fish. I do know I wouldn't put a slot fish in my live well and for sure wouldn't have videoed and posted it.

Thanks for the advice. It was in the live well no longer than 30 seconds while I got the ruler and scale out. I don’t mind putting that on camera. To ensure it survived and wasnt exposed too long out of water, I felt it was absolutely necessary to immediately place the fish in the livewell while I got the tools out to determine whether or not it was an over. The fish was immediately released after weighing and measuring.

If I need to get a ticket because I ensured a trophy bass would live to be caught another day then so be it.

Tight lines.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 02:21 AM

Very nice job BigHead248. I am very impressed with your knowledge of working the mapping system to the fullest potential. The amount of time you spend on each spot determines what you will eventually come away with. I watched your other videos of you taking each spot and making sure all the irregular features on that contour was entered into your depth finder. The contours I gave you are the best there is on the lake. The study time you put forth payed off on your first trip. It just doesn't get any better than that. Congratulations on your big fish and there will be many more to come.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: BigHead248
Originally Posted By: skins84

Thanks for the advice. It was in the live well no longer than 30 seconds while I got the ruler and scale out. I don’t mind putting that on camera. To ensure it survived and wasnt exposed too long out of water, I felt it was absolutely necessary to immediately place the fish in the livewell while I got the tools out to determine whether or not it was an over. The fish was immediately released after weighing and measuring.

If I need to get a ticket because I ensured a trophy bass would live to be caught another day then so be it.

Tight lines.

Amen to that

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 04:00 PM

After the comment about the slot fish in the live well and the other post that was generated shortly after mine asking about putting slot fish in a live well, I couldn’t help but think I really need to clear this up. The only purpose for the post and video was to share an experience and also to explain a little bit of what I did from an educational perspective.

I whole heartedly felt and still feel placing the fish in the live well so it was not left out of water while the ruler and scale was dug out was the best thing for the fishes health. Everything I did was conservation minded.

However, what bothered me the most was the possibility I promoted something that was incorrect and may get someone in trouble. As said before I know I did the best thing for the fish, but this being an educational post and video l wanted to ensure the “right thing to do” was not speculated amongst us and we all knew the exact truth on what one should do in this situation.

So, this morning I called the game warden and explained the video, the fish that was caught, and why it was placed in the live well. The game warden was very professional and informative and explained how he understood why I did what I did, but also explained how a fish is considered in the anglers possession once placed in the live well. His advice was NOT to place the fish in the live well and to keep the measuring board out and readily available to avoid the need for that.

Although this was supposed to be something educational about map work and also to share a video of an awesome experience, I think this was an unexpected lesson that is beneficial to many of us.
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 04:14 PM

Good job on calling the GW and clearing it up here on the TFF.
Congrats on the DD and your new PB!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 04:18 PM

Great fish, and no worries, the letter of the law says "immediate release" of non keeper fish. So there are those that could get upset even with a photo of a non keeper.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 04:34 PM

they should amend the language in the rule/law whatever it is?
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 04:43 PM

Great catch!! any DD makes for an AMAZING DAY!!! banana

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems
Good job on calling the GW and clearing it up here on the TFF.
Congrats on the DD and your new PB!

+10 thumb

I would have probably done the same thing. Gladly pay the $100 fine any day I catch a DD!!
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 05:01 PM

Excellent fish! Excellent post! Good on you to follow up with clarity. Go get another!
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 05:18 PM

Nice football!
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 05:46 PM

Congrats on the fish, and the lesson from the warden. You can go back and re-edit the video to have a little fun with it. Put disclaimers on the livewell and photo scenes... "This never happens". I am glad you shared the warden's interpretation, because there has been rampant speculation over the years on the definition of "possess"!
Posted By: 94sktr

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 05:53 PM

Donald does good mapping for sure.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 05:57 PM

Great fish and congrats on your PB
Posted By: Big 10 Inch

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 06:45 PM

Well everyone will know where and how you caught the fish in No Name Creek now.
Posted By: Dabaker421

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 06:53 PM

I applaud your integrity, but I would've done the same thing. Congrats on that catchin a TOAD!

Awesome work Donald Harper, your mapping is clearly a must have.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 08:59 PM

Good job to call the warden and get his answer. Also good to explain.

Having said that, If I catch a double digit and don't have all my stuff ready to take pictures, measure, and weigh, I'm putting it in the livewell. I'm doing exactly what you did to protect the fish and make sure it lives a long happy life. Saving a fish of that calibur is important for the fishery and some lucky angler could catch it when it reaches 13+.

So, I understand the law and I understand I would be breaking that law. But, I would feel OK if I had to pay the piper knowing I kept the fish alive and unharmed.
Posted By: milkfisher

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 10:42 PM

10.97lb slot fish! I know it happens....but Dang.

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: milkfisher

Yeah... that’s what we said hmmm
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/08/17 11:44 PM

That's a GIANT slot. Fortunately, they're not yet a rarity on Lake Fork.
Posted By: skins84

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 12:22 AM

Fouzman is right, its not uncommon at Fork to catch 9-10lb slot fish. I've had an 11.21 & 11.50 slot, the 11.21 was 2.25 inches short.
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 03:43 AM

It's always great when a plan pays off. Great fish. Congratulations!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 05:32 AM

Nest video and a super fish! Congratulations on your DD! cheers
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 07:45 AM

Great fish. My only question, why do u refer to it as a PR. PB I get. PR I'm lost
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 09:26 AM

Nice Fish
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
Great fish. My only question, why do u refer to it as a PR. PB I get. PR I'm lost

Maybe he has a track and field background. Track and field athletes often refer to their PB as their personal record or (PR)
Posted By: hairball

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 11:28 AM

Congratulations. Those are few and far between.

I did exactly what you did when I caught a 9+ slot on Fork.

It was more important to get water over the fish's gills than it was to ridiculously try and follow the letter of the law.
Posted By: Vetbassman

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 12:27 PM

Thanks for the video. Congrats and thanks you Mr. Harper.

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Thats just habit from my athletic days. PR is Personal Record.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 04:15 PM

Great fish!
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 05:08 PM

Beautiful fish. Great way to catch her! Homework definitely pays off. From what I hear Donald sure can help shorten that learning curve. Congrats.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/09/17 10:24 PM

Great fish and thanks for the follow-up from the GW, I would assumed live well for a couple minutes would be OK too but can also see how possession is determined.
DD !!
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/22/17 12:19 AM

congrats on a great Fish and new PB!
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/22/17 01:14 AM

Congrats! cheers
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/22/17 01:22 AM

I would happily pay $100 fine for a DD.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/22/17 04:16 AM

Awesomeness. Thanks for the video.
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/22/17 04:51 AM

Super catch!

The Guru aka Don Harper knows his stuff, especially about mapping.

Question for the OP........

Did you follow your pattern of casting spots ???
And how were your results at your other way points ???

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/22/17 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing
Super catch!

The Guru aka Don Harper knows his stuff, especially about mapping.

Question for the OP........

Did you follow your pattern of casting spots ???
And how were your results at your other way points ???

Yes I followed the patterns, however I still maintained as much of "my style of fishing" as I could. When I got his map work I wanted to use it as a supplement to what I was already doing and not in a way that re-structured how I fished. Instead of looking at it in the context of "I have to cast at each spot and use each lure he said to use" I try and figure out what his strategy is for each spot and then fish the strategy in a way that works for me.

As far as my results at other way points ya'll saw every fish we landed that day on the video and if I remember right there were 2 or 3 early in the morning that got off. That being said, there was a LOT of GREAT water he mapped for me that I intentionally didn't fish. The reason being I've already fished those spots and the goal was to fish new water. It was definitely tough not going to those spots just to catch a few numbers for the camera.

Also, I believe there was a post about us catching the DD in no name creek and that assumption was probably come to because I used no name creek for the map demo early in the video. I understand the frustration and I'm definitely not trying to mess up anyone's spots. That fish was NOT caught in or anywhere close to no name. I used no name for the map demo because that's a community hole and out of respect for Mr. Harper did not want to release any spots he provided that are less known about. Everyone knows that spot in no name so that's why it was used.

Last thing, if you decide to get his map work remember this. If you're fishing a point he mapped out for you and in the explanation of that spot he talks about that spot being good because it has A, B, and C, remember that while you're on the lake. I say that because you'll be out there fishing the point with A, B, and C, and while doing so look over and see another point next to you that he didn't mark but it also has A, B, and C. Don't be scared to go graph and fish that spot. He can only give you so many spots on a lake, but if you use the spots he gives you to understand his strategy, you'll start finding great spots left and right.

Thanks for all the great responses and I'm hoping to have another video up after the holidays.

Merry Christmas!
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/22/17 12:52 PM

I don't see a donkey hmmm

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/22/17 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: BigHead248
Originally Posted By: milkfisher

Yeah... that’s what we said hmmm

They are more & more rare but I personally witnessed a 13.22 that was 23 inches long at Fork in March 1999.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Lake Fork DD Donkey in December - 12/22/17 05:10 PM

Ive had a bunch of 9's and a 10 that were under 24". Happens a lot. And normally in tournaments! lol.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum