Texas Fishing Forum

boat ramp loading etiquette

Posted By: beartrap

boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 02:34 AM

at last count we have 10 pages,140 replies and 5345 views on correct way to launch your boat when others are waiting to launch....time to have a discussion on loading your boat....
many experienced tournament fishermen shove nose of their boat up against winch stop and hold it there with engine trimmed up and running in gear then signal their partner to slowly pull out and shut the engine off as boat settles on trailer and prop comes out of the water....
this probably saves couple minutes per boat by eliminating that having to run to front of boat and hook up winch then run back and shut engine off..multiply two minutes by 100 boats and the time to load all the boats is substantially reduced.....
I know somebody is gonna say they saw a boat fall off a trailer on the ramp and I'm sure it has happened but I've been fishing tournys since early 70's and never seen it happen plus I've loaded my boat hundreds of times with no problems...
word of caution....don't do this if temps are below freezing(your bunks may have ice of them) or if you have put plastic glide slicks on your trailer or sprayed the bunks with some sort of lubricant...
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 02:40 AM

Now you just hold on a dam minute, we ain't through launching yet so get back on the launching thread until we get this thing ironed out. We've almost got a fist fight over there and I'm going back. See ya there.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Now you just hold on a dam minute, we ain't through launching yet so get back on the launching thread until we get this thing ironed out. We've almost got a fist fight over there and I'm going back. See ya there.

roflmao
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 03:46 AM

frkazoid
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 03:53 AM

My boat.....my money.....it will be winched every time until you decide to take over payments. You can wait the extra 2 mins.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 03:56 AM

It takes no more than 30 seconds to walk up to the front deck and winch it tight.

Unless you have a hard time getting around.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 04:00 AM

Stop the madness.
Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris Coufal
My boat.....my money.....it will be winched every time until you decide to take over payments. You can wait the extra 2 mins.

Why do you feel the need to winch your boat before pulling up the ramp?
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 04:13 AM

I usually hook my winch up. Safe than sorry. I'm also 20 years old and move really fast. Probably takes me 8 seconds if that. I run the boat onto trailer, the second it hits the stop I cut the motor, run up front deck, lay over the nose and hook strap, and out my truck rolls.

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 04:13 AM

I’m sure the guy right above is gonna give me a smartass reply like his first comment was on this post so I’ll pose this situation to y’all.

If you think your boat will slide backwards because it’s lighter, steeper ramp, lower humidity, dropping barometric pressure or whatever, do this. Next time you load, Hook your strap and leave about 3-4” of slack in the strap and then pull up the ramp. If the strap is tight when you get to the top, then obviously the boat slid on the trailer. If it’s still loose, then there’s no need hooking it before pulling up in the future.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 04:34 AM

I have seen one fall off on the ramp. Mind you, it wasn't a bass boat, but a 30 foot Cruiser, and he was launching, and the winch strap snapped...

Oh, and I was waiting for him to return my jumper cables because his battery wasn't charged...

It was a bad day for the guy. We did get the trailer under it enough to float it out, but it scrapped the heck out of his Out Drive!
Posted By: rj74955

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 04:35 AM

3 times I've seen a boat on the concrete. All 3 the culprit was ice on the bunks on very steep ramps. It's bad, $9000 damage on a good friends boat on Grand and that was 15 years ago. We were the only 2 boats at the ramp and it took a little over an hour to get it winched back on the trailer. The jerk bait bite was on, he made it to the water on the next try and caught enough that day that he said it was worth it lol. Good insurance = good times.
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 04:39 AM

I’ve seen it happen twice. Both due to a steep ramp, truck pulling out starts to spin tires and moves backwards because of it. Drive then hits the brakes and boat falls off. The problem with the original post is that not all ramps are the same.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 04:47 AM

If you’re concerned about someone wasting your 30 seconds then you can stop fishing 5 minutes sooner and get the ramp 5 minutes earlier. Not sure what makes you more important then anyone else. Maybe you should find a different “hobby” if it’s such a burden. I’ll go ahead and recommend you not try golf either.
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 06:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Im RICK JAMES
If you’re concerned about someone wasting your 30 seconds then you can stop fishing 5 minutes sooner and get the ramp 5 minutes earlier. Not sure what makes you more important then anyone else. Maybe you should find a different “hobby” if it’s such a burden. I’ll go ahead and recommend you not try golf either.
popcorn2
Posted By: DevinJoe

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: jcwebb70
popcorn2

+1 get over yourself. If I want to protect my 8000 dollar boat or my 80000 dollar boat I will.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 07:52 AM

Just because something might work most of the time does not make it the correct way to do it. How much time is saved if 100 boats are in line and someone screws up and drops the boat on the ramp? The Coast Guard even states the PROPER way is to leave it strapped while backing into the water and pulling it out. Maybe people should just get there earlier if they don't want to wait a few extra minutes. I've never been to a lake that had 100 boats in line to launch at one ramp.
Posted By: 361V

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 12:10 PM

Valium!
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 12:23 PM

I don’t think it takes my partner more than 15 seconds to slap the strap on and get back in the truck, when he’s already waiting by the winch when I pull the boat on the trailer.
Posted By: buda13

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 12:35 PM

I only hook the bow strap if I'm solo, because I'm right there by it as I climb out of the boat and into the truck, otherwise I load exactly as the OP stated. IMO the key is having your trailer at the proper depth, if you have to give her some throttle to power up that last couple of feet the boat isn't going anywhere... i load this way at Westbay Marina on Eagle Mountain, Uncle Gus at Whitney, and Squaw with no issues and those are some of the steepest ramps I've used. Loaded this way with every boat I ever owned, from a 15' Javelin, ZX185, Zx225, and ZX250. Not dogging anyone that loads different, to each their own, i personally do everything I can to get on and off the ramp and out of the way as quickly as possible.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 12:42 PM

Winner ^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 01:00 PM

not a real issue, if you are not ready to unload before you back in and do all your prep while on the ramp then that is one of the real problems, if you sit on the ramp and finish all your loading preps then that is the issue if someone takes the time to strap their boat that is not a real issue, even in a bass champs tourney with 300 plus boats. Mistakes happen at the ramp that is unavoidable just enjoy your time on the water life is too short.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225
not a real issue, if you are not ready to unload before you back in and do all your prep while on the ramp then that is one of the real problems, if you sit on the ramp and finish all your loading preps then that is the issue if someone takes the time to strap their boat that is not a real issue, even in a bass champs tourney with 300 plus boats. Mistakes happen at the ramp that is unavoidable just enjoy your time on the water life is too short.

I agree here, the more comparable complaint to the other thread would be someone pulling their boat out and stopping on the ramp to organize their rods back in the locker. The winch strap doesnt take seconds to hook unless you use a walker to get around.

I think these threads are going to the point where we have to get the truck up to 100 mph headed toward the ramp then cut hard and sling shot the boat into the water, and you better have unhooked the winch strap before you left the house so you dont block the entrance to the highway leading to the ramp park.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 01:23 PM

These launching and loading threads have been a real hoot. I don't care how you launch or load your boat you are NOT going to change how everyone else does it. People do it how they want to, not how you want them to. It's their boat, their time and their day to go fishing. Those people who are pi$$ing you off by waiting until the boat is on the ramp to load their coolers, rods/reels and tackle are not on TFF. Neither are the ones who wipe their boats down while still on the ramp. Neither are the ones who jack knife their boat/trailer on the ramp or take up two spaces. I've never once went to the lake looking for something to gripe about and if the guy in front or back of me needs a hand loading or launching his boat I'm there. I'm not going to start or end my day of fishing by getting pi$$ed at someone for the way they launch or load their boat. I'm going to wait until some dude cuts me off on Hwy. 276 coming home from Fork to get mad.
Posted By: Rob W.

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters

I think these threads are going to the point where we have to get the truck up to 100 mph headed toward the ramp then cut hard and sling shot the boat into the water, and you better have unhooked the winch strap before you left the house so you dont block the entrance to the highway leading to the ramp park.
roflmao

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Rob W.
Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters

roflmao

Now you done it, if that's the case, then the chevy guys won't be able to do it. bolt
Posted By: WAWI

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 01:45 PM

I have seen issues with this process too. The op is correct in his procedure. Some of you who do it wrong either loading or unloading need to work on your coachability and take notes. From the people who have a clue not the clowns. It will help everyone out.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 01:58 PM

Most all the people that I have seen that have trouble launching and loading comes from not sinking their trailer deep enough launching and then have it too deep loading.

Other than not being prepared to do either, this is the biggest problem.

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I've never been to a lake that had 100 boats in line to launch at one ramp.

You’ve obviously never fished Champs, TTT or Big Bass Splash on Rayburn.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI
I have seen issues with this process too. The op is correct in his procedure. Some of you who do it wrong either loading or unloading need to work on your coachability and take notes. From the people who have a clue not the clowns. It will help everyone out.

Problem is they think they already know it all.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

Mine got dropped on a ramp with me in it when my buddy drove the truck.

That's why I feel the need. I'll attached the strap every time.

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 02:40 PM

A Gambler will sure come off the bunks if you're not careful. There's just not that much boat on the bunks.

Many years ago, on my first trip to Rayburn in that Gambler, I was launching at Caney, very slight slope to the ramp. I got out and and undid the tie downs, left about 3' of strap loose and started to back in. There was a guy coming out in a Ranger in the next lane. As I was backing in next to him, I could see him and his boat in my side view mirror. I looked at him and his eyes were as big as saucers, I stopped, looking in my rearview and all I saw was black hull. I nearly went into shock, jumped out and the boat was teetering on the back of the bunks, nose up at a steep angle, and the transom was about 2" from the concrete, strap held tight. I winched the nose of the boat back down, unloaded the boat, then had to check my shorts.

It was raining the whole trip there, so I'm guessing just that amount of moisture on the bunks was enough to let it slide.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 03:44 PM

Probably should have used the word "tip" instead of "etiquette" in your post title.

Etiquette infers the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.

Your use of the word etiquette therefore infers that those who choose to hook up their winch strap are not following a recognized protocol and that's B.S.!
Posted By: beartrap

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bird
Probably should have used the word "tip" instead of "etiquette" in your post title.

Etiquette infers the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.

Your use of the word etiquette therefore infers that those who choose to hook up their winch strap are not following a recognized protocol and that's B.S.!

actually I got a better title and wording that I'm saving til these two threads run their course...stay tuned...
Posted By: Ynot

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 04:09 PM

Wise Ancient Saying... "Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism but with humility consider others superior to you. Look out not only for your own interests but also for the interests of others."
Posted By: 04champ

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 05:22 PM

I had a guy almost dump my boat on the ramp once.

Instead of getting up and attaching the strap, I just don't fish with idiots anymore
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/07/17 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
I only hook the bow strap if I'm solo, because I'm right there by it as I climb out of the boat and into the truck, otherwise I load exactly as the OP stated. IMO the key is having your trailer at the proper depth, if you have to give her some throttle to power up that last couple of feet the boat isn't going anywhere... i load this way at Westbay Marina on Eagle Mountain, Uncle Gus at Whitney, and Squaw with no issues and those are some of the steepest ramps I've used. Loaded this way with every boat I ever owned, from a 15' Javelin, ZX185, Zx225, and ZX250. Not dogging anyone that loads different, to each their own, i personally do everything I can to get on and off the ramp and out of the way as quickly as possible.
thumb
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/10/17 06:01 AM

Originally Posted By: PowPowOl'Son

A) I fish solo 99% of the time and do not have someone to stay on the gas as I start to pull it out. Additionally I jump right past the winch as I jump out,
B) I've seen boats slide off the trailer at the ramp....even during a tournament
c) It ain't hurting you to wait a few extra seconds to ensure the safety of my rig and to prevent catastrophe by dropping a boat on the ramp and shutting it down for a few hours.

Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/10/17 06:49 AM

Originally Posted By: jcwebb70
popcorn2

clap thumb

P. S.: When I lived in South Florida I saw several bass boats go off the trailer, and it wasn't due to ice. A boat not FIRMLY against the front roller can rock or bounce over rough road, beating up the bow eye, cracking fiberglass. I've seen that happen also.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/10/17 12:47 PM

Instructional tutorial on "loading and unloading at boat ramps"

www.redrangergoatservices.com

Keeping the rubber on the ramp one boat at a time.....
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/10/17 01:37 PM

Fishing is starting to get pretty snow flakey... I suggest everyone hook your boat up before pulling it out of the water instead of possibly dropping your boat or having it float off because your truck moving backwards when you put it in gear. Or dont , youll be swimming in a lake in the middle of winter because your boat floated off and got stuck on a sandbar. Trust me ive been there. Had to swim out 50-75 yards in 40 degree temps dead of the winter , middle of the day when no one was at the lake during a weekday.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/10/17 07:17 PM

There isn't a boat on the water worth stripping down and going swimming in 40 degree water. You are literally gambling with your life. Call someone, drive or walk until you see a boat parked at someone's house and knock on their door. Do whatever it takes but never swim for your boat regardless of the water temps. Call the same number to retrieve your boat that you would report a drowning to, they would much rather come out and get your boat than drag for a body.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/10/17 07:27 PM

I am thankful I don't fish north Texas lakes. Some of you guys need to get a life and learn to ENJOY the outdoors.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: boat ramp loading etiquette - 12/11/17 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
I am thankful I don't fish north Texas lakes. Some of you guys need to get a life and learn to ENJOY the outdoors.

I totally agree! Some of these threads get so ridiculous with the complaints and the whining.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum