Texas Fishing Forum

Hunting Big Fish

Posted By: Brent S

Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 04:29 AM

What lures, depths, cover, structure, do you like to use and target to catch fish in the 5 pound and up category?
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 05:54 AM

Best thing for this time of year is a jig with a craw trailer, black and blue or green pumpkin color. Also you need to focus on areas that these larger female bass like to hang out. Creek channel bends 10-20ft, drains and ditches leading into spawning areas are good starting places. Look for the sweet spots around these depth changes like brush, timber, rocks or grass. One reason the jig is such a good big fish Bait is because you need to fish it slow on the bottom and can be fished through a variety of cover.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 07:26 AM

Lures: completely agree with the above, a jig will catch big fish. Other lures that I use to target big fish are big cranks (like 8xd and 10xd), big swimbaits, a spook, and a buzzbait.
Depths: Right now, I'm finding big fish in 22ft up to 1ft, so they're all over. Generally I'm looking at mid to shallow in the spring and deeper water the rest of year.
Cover: Lilly pads, grass, docks, and rocks will hold big fish, but a ridge or hump in deeper water will be where they spend more of their time.
Structure: Main lake points and humps are the obvious places but I've also caught nice fish on roadbeds and old pond dams.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Best thing for this time of year is a jig with a craw trailer, black and blue or green pumpkin color. Also you need to focus on areas that these larger female bass like to hang out. Creek channel bends 10-20ft, drains and ditches leading into spawning areas are good starting places. Look for the sweet spots around these depth changes like brush, timber, rocks or grass. One reason the jig is such a good big fish Bait is because you need to fish it slow on the bottom and can be fished through a variety of cover.

Everything he said, only thing I would ad would be a swim bait early.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 01:33 PM

First you have to be on a lake with a known population of bigger fish. You can target them all day but if the lake doesn't have a decent number of big ones it greatly reduces your odds if catching one. Some lakes like fork bigger fish will group up moreso than a lake like Rayburn. Regardless both lakes fish similar for big ones depending on time if year. Imo it's more about location and presentation than the actual lure. Once you figure out the sweet spot or cast, the bait is sometimes secondary. Except for spring and fall typically big ones are deeper. As stated above, creek swings on points, ridges, deep brush piles are all good spots.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 02:28 PM

I don't believe it has to do with the lure, depth, or cover as has so much to do with being in the right location. I have caught a lot of big fish on about any technique available from shacky head to 10XDs.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 02:40 PM

Time on the water and having an understanding of big fish migration from season to season.. which I have neither.. haha
Posted By: daddystog

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 03:04 PM

I agree with all the above, only thing that wasn't mentioned was mind set, most everyone that starts trying to target larger fish will get discouraged because of the number of bites , you have to set your mind to fishing for 1 or 2 bites a day
If you can do that and have confidence in the spots your fishing and the baits your using that 1 bite can be worth a full day of fishing and then once in a blue moon you can have those days where your thumbs are RAW from lipping big bass
Pick a couple of Big Fish baits that you have confidence in, study your area lakes and fish the sweet spots mentioned above slow and methodically picking every little pick of cover apart, use good Equipment and fishing line don't go out and buy a $ 100 swimbait and throw it on cheap line , check your line every cast for any nicks or abrasion retie frequently ( nothing will break your heart like fishing so hard for that big fish and then lose it because you got lazy and didn't retie ) stay focused, TREAT EVERY CAST LIKE THIS IS THE ONE I'LL CATCH THAT 14LBER
Good Luck and Tight lines
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 03:22 PM

Funnel points and transition areas to and from "spawning areas" where big fsh live most of their lives (aka shallow water with immediate access to deeper water). Creek channels, "ditches and drains". IMO, true big fish do not migrate far once they reach a bigger size, they are much like larger people or animals, they really cannot move as freely as their smaller counterparts. I think they will live in area with everything they need very close by (spawning areas, deeper water for security and areas to feed).

Every fish I have caught over 10 pounds (11 fish) have been caught between November and mid March in these types areas, except for a 10.5, that was caught in late May - early June, at Fork in about 18 feet of water.

I think here in Texas, it's much more about location than technique to target truly big fish. That being said Fall (post turnover) to pre-spawn, I like to throw a little bigger baits (jigs, swim baits, bigger bulky Texas rigs, and such). The two type of baits I believe will consistently produce bigger fish in Texas are a crawfish imitation type bait and a gizzard shad imitation type bait. The "one big meal" type baits.

Posted By: CCTX

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Funnel points and transition areas to and from "spawning areas" where big fsh live most of their lives (aka shallow water with immediate access to deeper water). Creek channels, "ditches and drains". IMO, true big fish do not migrate far once they reach a bigger size, they are much like larger people or animals, they really cannot move as freely as their smaller counterparts. I think they will live in area with everything they need very close by (spawning areas, deeper water for security and areas to feed).

+1

I'll add that I've noticed territorial behavior from bigger bass--Once they have found their buffet location, they want it for themselves ("baby bass" colored swimbaits) Of course, these big/wise bass like to hold the bait in their mouths first to feel it instead of lashing out or immediately crushing down. (You can feel a heavy mushiness instead of a line tick or pulling) They can hold the bait in their mouths while swimming a little bit deeper before they commit. They also have very bony mouths, particularly the roof of the mouth (make sure those hooks are sharp, line is intact, knots tied well) Strong hook set.

Getting them to the top of the water column quickly is key or they will bull rush toward you and deeper with a strong surge swimming under your boat. With these obese bass, they can head shake at the surface, but are usually too fat to jump.

Agree with above; November to March. The cooler water gives you some advantages landing the big bass; they are more lethargic at these temperatures.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 05:15 PM

All the advice above is solid. 80% of DD fish are caught in Texas between Feb-April. As other have said step one is to pick a lake that has a sizable population of big fish. From there focus on funnels in the 8-12 foot range. Throw plastics. Work them SLOW. Find a mentor for the lake if you can. It'll drastically shorten your learning curve.

The other strategy is to cover vast amounts of water during the spawn on a relatively clear lake and don't stop until you find a big fish.

On a side note. Fish 7lbs and below all behave in a pretty similar fashion. Fish 7lbs and above are totally different. You can catch a lot of 5lbers fishing shallow. You'll catch very few DD's that way on most lakes in Texas.

Lastly, probably the single best thing you can do to up your numbers of 5-7lb fish is to simply fish at night once the water temps get above 65 degrees.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 06:55 PM

Fish depths that other anglers don't have the confidence to fish, usually areas like that are way-less pressured. Other than that, I think its a timing type of thing up shallow.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 07:32 PM

Collin county is dead on with regards to the big fish bite and how it feels. I honestly believe that less experienced anglers often lose big big fish before they ever knew that they had one on the line.

Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Collin county is dead on with regards to the big fish bite and how it feels. I honestly believe that less experienced anglers often lose big big fish before they ever knew that had one in the line.

Just the thought makes me queasy. barf
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 08:24 PM

As stated above, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION is the key to finding bigger fish. Not only the body of water, but also the structure/cover w/in the lake. Isolated is normally best and normally only 1 or 2 fish hang out on it. If you find a school of 5 lbers, put your topwater or rat-l-trap style bait on and have at them. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 08:41 PM

Great thread though! Excellent info. I’m taking notes.
Posted By: Darryl

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 09:18 PM

So all the info I have read says you need to fish slow.

Is it better to

(A) anchor and thoroughly fish an area?

(B) use a trolling motor with a spot lock?

(C) drift and use a trolling motor to periodically correct position?

I have a different question... if one does sit on one of these spots with any of the methods above... how long would it take to become part of the environment?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 10:51 PM

I’d have more confidence anchoring and turning off all electronics once you’ve marked the spot

If you have been tracking the bass and know the lake well, you might not ever have to turn them on

It’s fun to use electronics and impractical not to utilize awesome technology like spot lock; but if you are getting close to a known big bass buffet location; I’d minimize using any of it and be as quiet in the boat as possible

If recollection serves, Bill Murphy said it takes 30min to an hour to become part of the environment

Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Darryl
So all the info I have read says you need to fish slow.

Is it better to

(A) anchor and thoroughly fish an area?

(B) use a trolling motor with a spot lock?

(C) drift and use a trolling motor to periodically correct position?

I have a different question... if one does sit on one of these spots with any of the methods above... how long would it take to become part of the environment?

There are lots of documented examples of trolling motors and electronics spooking big fish. John Hope's telemetry studies showed you could drift up to them without spooking them or you could anchor and wait. If you anchoring it's best to use the two anchor method one of the front one off the back to hold the boat as still as possible. Of course you have to know their are big fish in the spot or it's going to be a very slow and mostly unproductive way to fish.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/28/17 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
I don't believe it has to do with the lure, depth, or cover as has so much to do with being in the right location. I have caught a lot of big fish on about any technique available from shacky head to 10XDs.

I concur. I've yet to catch to catch a DD in almost 40 yrs of fishing frown , but you asked about 5lb and up...I've caught a fair share of 6-9lbers...on shaky heads, buzzbaits, jigs, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, C Rigs, T-Rig worms, etc...in depths of 8" to 20'...in pads, grass, rock, creek channels, points, etc...

I won't argue that there aren't things one can do to move the odds slightly in your favor for bigger fish, such as putting in time on a specific body of water to learn where bigger ones live, but short of that I think there's a lot of luck involved.

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/29/17 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Brent S
What lures, depths, cover, structure, do you like to use and target to catch fish in the 5 pound and up category?

5 pound and up category?

If you're really, really lucky and know how to cast you have a pretty good chance to catch a 5 pounder. The higher the weight, the harder they are to catch. Takes more skill, more knowledge, more time and lots more luck. When I caught my DD I had been catching a lot of 5-8 pounders in that area and had been fishing that area for a couple of years. One day I was really, really lucky and made the right cast with the right lure at the right time and BINGO, caught a 14.19. So I would say that was and is the right combination. Luck, lure, location and time. Oh and presentation. I was pitching a jig and craw worm at a specific spot in 18 FOW. Of the 5 though I'll take luck.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/29/17 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: M. Alexander
Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead

I concur. I've yet to catch to catch a DD in almost 40 yrs of fishing frown , but you asked about 5lb and up...I've caught a fair share of 6-9lbers...on shaky heads, buzzbaits, jigs, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, C Rigs, T-Rig worms, etc...in depths of 8" to 20'...in pads, grass, rock, creek channels, points, etc...

I won't argue that there aren't things one can do to move the odds slightly in your favor for bigger fish, such as putting in time on a specific body of water to learn where bigger ones live, but short of that I think there's a lot of luck involved.

Even luck is useless if you are not prepaired to take advantage of it when it strikes. I feel like a great angler is always a prepared for the "luck" when it happens. Also, an angler that knows how to find bigger fish isn't just lucky, they have the talent it takes to fool one when they find it. Most of these guys in this thread are just modest....saying the big ones will bite anything. They are better than average fishermen and to them it might seem as though anything will work.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/29/17 04:35 PM

Great post!
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/29/17 07:19 PM

Just one more thing I didn't mention, and guys that have fished with me will tell you that I do actually do this.

When I pull up to a spot, I say loudly and clearly- "Dang, I left my net and scale at home"

The big girls are a lot less hesitant to bite if they think you're without a net and/or scale.

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/29/17 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

5 pound and up category?

If you're really, really lucky and know how to cast you have a pretty good chance to catch a 5 pounder. The higher the weight, the harder they are to catch. Takes more skill, more knowledge, more time and lots more luck. When I caught my DD I had been catching a lot of 5-8 pounders in that area and had been fishing that area for a couple of years. One day I was really, really lucky and made the right cast with the right lure at the right time and BINGO, caught a 14.19. So I would say that was and is the right combination. Luck, lure, location and time. Oh and presentation. I was pitching a jig and craw worm at a specific spot in 18 FOW. Of the 5 though I'll take luck.

But you proved our point about location being critical. You already had an established big fish area. Establishing those spots is the deal to consistently put big fish in the boat. Catching random big fish rarely happens. There's a reason you catch a big one especially deep.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/30/17 03:58 AM

All good posts.
I suggest reading Lunker Lore by Josh Alwine.
Also read John Hope- Tracking Trophies.
Also read Richie White- Sight Fishing book.

Fish in the right place at the right time and know what both of those things mean.
Fish 8-12ft at night and anchor up.
Know how to catch big spawning bass-sight fishing.
Fish 12-4pm in the afternoon during spring if your going pre spawn.
Fish slowly-very slowly- or—bang your bait off of stuff a lot.
Be quiet.
Fish alone.
Fish Jan-April.
Use good equipment and fresh line/good knot.
The harder you try the luckier you will get!
There ya go!
Go get em!

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/30/17 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

5 pound and up category?

But you proved our point about location being critical. You already had an established big fish area. Establishing those spots is the deal to consistently put big fish in the boat. Catching random big fish rarely happens. There's a reason you catch a big one especially deep.

Yep, location was one of the 5 ingredients for success in catching large bass and it's getting easier with all the electronics available today and information gathered and shared by professional anglers. But luck is still big in my mind. Who knows if I had been 10-20-30 minutes later at that particular location with that particular lure at that particular depth if I would have caught that particular bass. I failed to mention that bass had just eaten a crappie. In fact the crappies tail was still visible in the basses mouth when we weighed her so it wasn't like she was hungry. Don't know why she wanted my jig/craw worm other than it was just there and it was my lucky day. banana

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/30/17 05:33 PM

Imo you created your own luck by already fishing a known big bass area.
Posted By: Luke Scribner

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/30/17 06:17 PM

One place that I consistently find big fish is places with rocks and deep / steep drop offs (ex: bridges, around boat ramps, etc.) these are places that don't usually get a lot of pressure, over the past year I've caught 10 fish over 6 pounds in these areas. They hold big fish and allow them to transition back and forth pretty easily.
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: Hunting Big Fish - 11/30/17 06:36 PM

With my personal experience it’s a lot about timing.. With that been said put your self in a known big fish area and try and figure out when the big fish are there feeding.. I’ve got several spots and have notice that the big fish only feed at certain times of the day and it changes from day to day..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum