Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts-- Learning

Posted By: DKennimer

Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 04:54 AM

I've only fished Ray Roberts twice, both by myself and launched at Jordan and fished Sand Branch and the South side of the island. I'm wanting to go tomorrow and learn one creek. If I find them it'll just be a bonus. I have decided to try Wolf or Indian and dedicate the day to learning the area. I don't want to damage my boat, so I'll be idling these areas. I learned that there is lots of hazards out there, as I almost drifted over a huge piece of concrete with steel in it off the main lake point (the main point of the lake just North of the dam).

I'd appreciate any advice. Didn't know if launching at Jordan or Buck Creek would be best and if one creek was better than another for enjoying the day. I know I just need to put in the time, and slowly learn the lake. I'll fish/search new water from 1:00-5:30.

If you see me out there in a white/black/red Champ 206, say hello. I need a day on the water, it's been too long!
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 05:32 AM

I was out there for a few hours today, didn't really get to fish as much as I hoped. Wind was a little stronger than I anticipated... If you are looking to hit Indian or Wolf, DO NOT launch at Buck. If you don't know the way in, it will take forever to idle over. Launch at Jordan. Indian and Wolf are HUGE, and diverse lakes in and of themselves. Wolf is a neat place when the lake is up, and you can get to the old farm ponds and the creek beyond the bridge (you can navigate way up there when the level it right). Now, I don't know if the fishing is any good up there. I need to do what you are, but I just don't have the patience with that lake!

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 06:00 AM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
I was out there for a few hours today, didn't really get to fish as much as I hoped. Wind was a little stronger than I anticipated... If you are looking to hit Indian or Wolf, DO NOT launch at Buck. If you don't know the way in, it will take forever to idle over. Launch at Jordan. Indian and Wolf are HUGE, and diverse lakes in and of themselves. Wolf is a neat place when the lake is up, and you can get to the old farm ponds and the creek beyond the bridge (you can navigate way up there when the level it right). Now, I don't know if the fishing is any good up there. I need to do what you are, but I just don't have the patience with that lake!

Thanks, David. I figured I'd see if I can find them by breaking them down in thirds. Catching will be a bonus, but I really need to learn the areas to run. When you put thousands of hours in at Fork, it's hard to make myself go elsewhere. But, I need to do it. My back can't handle the 4 hour commute any more. Ray Roberts is about 35 min from me. I just gotta put in the time...
Posted By: Tiltedtitan

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 06:43 AM

I used to go to Roberts. But I have settled in at Lewisville. Don't know how to run North. But I have seen people do it. Would love to hear what you how you do.
Posted By: Rog

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 07:56 AM

Check PM. There are runs up into wolfe and Indian but don’t try them the first time up there or with out following someone you trust a bunch. Use to do well in both and you don’t have to go all the way to the back....
Posted By: Rog

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 08:09 AM

Btw watch the wind forecast this time of year if launching at Jordan. Unless they put up a jetty or other wave block the nw and north wind blow in there and the waves get big when it blows hard. Back in the day witnessed a few boats submerged at the ramp. I always liked isle Dubois this time of year as the point you mentioned and others down south can be awesome in the evenings when they stack up on em. Oh that foundation does hold fish also follow that point out a little deeper, it flattens out a bit and has some brush and stumps on it. Try a cr fluke....
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 02:12 PM

I know it won't help you run the trees but is Martin's map still considered pretty accurate?
Posted By: get-bit

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 03:20 PM

Martins map is the most accurate in my opinion.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: LearnedHat
I know it won't help you run the trees but is Martin's map still considered pretty accurate?

I've used it some this year and it does appear somewhat accurate. I was able to find some brush piles and other cover with it. There is a ton of info there too.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 03:50 PM

Yo Dannie, how’s the health?

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 04:18 PM

Thank you, everyone!! I'll post back this evening.

Rog, I can't thank you enough for your help. I appreciate it very much!
Posted By: propman

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 04:55 PM

I agree with the Matin's Map. It will show you many of the concrete, steel posts, and other obstacles. Take your time and watch the wind. Try to keep up with the direction. Yes, Jordon Park ramp can be a bear if a north wind is blowing or comes in before you get out. Best wind protected ramp is Buck Creek and the areas on both sides of the bridges have produced good fish. All the north creeks can be great but you will not be able to actually cover or discover much in each one if you are only going to take a day to learn them. Can't be done. Use the Martin's map first and then go to the area shown on the map that peaks your interest and then go explore it and try to learn something of that area. I've been fishing Ray Roberts since the 90's and still learn something new about any area I'm in, even if I've been there before. Different times of the year and different days will always change how the fish are relating to that area. Fish can be caught all over that lake but there have been many days of many fish and many more days of a few fish and then again many days with no fish. Just enjoy your time on the lake if they are not biting as it is a beauty. Eagles, ospreys, pelicans, ducks of all kinds, turkeys, deer, and even a bobcat are some of the animals and birds I've seen while fishing. By the way I've caught some nice fish off those foundations on Cate's Point.
Posted By: get-bit

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 07:35 PM

Mike it’s good. Elbow is good to go
Posted By: cob

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/26/17 09:52 PM

I would listen to get--bit. Man knows that of which he speaks on Ray Roberts
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/27/17 12:34 AM

Spent a few hours in Wolf Creek and Walnut. Mainly secondary points with timber. Caught a dink on a SB off a rocky point and had a nice fish chase my speed craw off of some timber I was flipping. That was it. Didn’t have any expectations for the nearly 4 hours I was out there.

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/27/17 04:31 AM

Well... I suck. I fished 1:30-5:00 and didn't get a bite. Oh well, it was a beautiful day and I needed to run the boat. I hadn't had it out in almost two months.

What I did learn was I definitely needed/still need to get a Martins Map. I have one for Fork and it's great. I had one of those maps you get from Academy. It doesn't have as much detail. That lake has great looking stuff all around and I still didn't get bit. I fished creek channels with FB jig and 500D and dug that plug around rocky areas 5-16'. Even tried to squeal one out with a sq bill off the island rocks. I saw lots of Crappie on flats in 24-26 FOW.

I'll get a Martin's Map and schedule a day with Danny to find the lay of the land. That alone would be huge! Being able to run that lake is going to be the bear. There are freaking trees everywhere!! I tried to forget about the trees and concentrate on the structure.. If I go again soon, I'll focus on funnel areas. They should be there this time of year...

Thanks again everyone, I just need about 1,000 more hours on that lake.

Oh yeah, I did manage to lose my new Costa's when I made a little run at the end of the day, the XB needed to breathe. I just bought those damn things. I got about 20 min away from Jordans ramp on the way home and went looking for them. Turned around to see if they fell off while I wiped down the boat. Nope. Must have blown off on that run. I lost another pair about a year ago towing in a guide at Fork. Both were on my shirt collar. Time for some Cablz!!

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/27/17 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: propman
I agree with the Matin's Map. It will show you many of the concrete, steel posts, and other obstacles. Take your time and watch the wind. Try to keep up with the direction. Yes, Jordon Park ramp can be a bear if a north wind is blowing or comes in before you get out. Best wind protected ramp is Buck Creek and the areas on both sides of the bridges have produced good fish. All the north creeks can be great but you will not be able to actually cover or discover much in each one if you are only going to take a day to learn them. Can't be done. Use the Martin's map first and then go to the area shown on the map that peaks your interest and then go explore it and try to learn something of that area. I've been fishing Ray Roberts since the 90's and still learn something new about any area I'm in, even if I've been there before. Different times of the year and different days will always change how the fish are relating to that area. Fish can be caught all over that lake but there have been many days of many fish and many more days of a few fish and then again many days with no fish. Just enjoy your time on the lake if they are not biting as it is a beauty. Eagles, ospreys, pelicans, ducks of all kinds, turkeys, deer, and even a bobcat are some of the animals and birds I've seen while fishing. By the way I've caught some nice fish off those foundations on Cate's Point.

Sound advice and completely understandable. I did see about 20 deer when leaving (twice) bang One really nice buck for this area. It was a beautiful day!!
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/27/17 09:16 AM

DKennemer, I know the concrete that you are talking about! About 15 years ago I bought my first bass boat, a new to me Ranger Commanche. I was fishing there on a main lake point on the troller and drug a piece of that steel the length of my hull. I flipped around to see what it was, and it still had white gel coat on it....
I still remember that sick feeling like it was yesterday. Roberts used to be my favorite lake, but I HATE running up I35 from Burleson now with all the construction. Good luck!

Re: Ray Roberts-- Learning - 11/27/17 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: ToasterWEyes
DKennemer, I know the concrete that you are talking about! About 15 years ago I bought my first bass boat, a new to me Ranger Commanche. I was fishing there on a main lake point on the troller and drug a piece of that steel the length of my hull. I flipped around to see what it was, and it still had white gel coat on it....
I still remember that sick feeling like it was yesterday. Roberts used to be my favorite lake, but I HATE running up I35 from Burleson now with all the construction. Good luck!

Ouch! I know for a fact if I'd had drifted over it, it would have been bad. The metal was about 5/8 thick and about 5 inches wide. Probably sticking up about 8" out of the concrete. I got within a couple feet and thankfully saw the light area, the sun was hitting it just right. I should have marked it, but all I could think about was getting the boat away asap. Yeah, that 35 blows!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum