Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/21/17 04:05 PM

RIP Monti
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/21/17 05:20 PM

5 & 6 lbers under every pad.....
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/21/17 10:11 PM

Are they shutting down the power plant facility temporarily or permanent?
Posted By: BAllen91

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/21/17 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol Man River
Are they shutting down the power plant facility temporarily or permanent?

Permanent from my understanding.
Posted By: One fish Bill

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 12:06 AM

Luminant, a subsidiary of Vistra Energy (NYSE: VST), today announced plans to retire its Monticello Power Plant in Titus County, Texas. In total, approximately 1,800 MW of power will be taken offline in January of 2018.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 12:11 AM

Sign of the time.

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 12:34 AM

Does Martin Creek and Perky still generate?
Posted By: CoyAintNoGoldFish

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 12:56 AM

Too bad all the fish are gonna die. They’re never adapt to the new Water temperatures and get bigger. It’s game over for ole Monti.
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 02:54 AM

Right
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 03:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Yes, Martin Creek is still alive and well for now. Perky belongs to SWEPCO and it's doing well also.

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 04:05 AM

thumb
Posted By: Derick Maschmeier

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 12:41 PM

That's horrible news. Only got to go there a couple of times.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Yes, Martin Creek is still alive and well for now. Perky belongs to SWEPCO and it's doing well also.

If they are coal fired plants their days are numbered. Seems like I heard they were going to convert a couple but Monti and Fairfield go away in Jan and Feb, Welsh will also go offline in the next couple of years.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 01:09 PM

It's anyone's guess what effect this will have on the fish, bait fish, spawn, vegetation, anglers, etc. but Buda13 is correct, these coal powered plants days are numbered. It's also anyone's guess what effect the closings will have on the customers who depend on them for electricity. Not many winners in this deal. The "end of an era" definitely describes the event. The closing of Monti brings back memories of the Jerry Dean guide days. I'm sure everyone on here has their own memories, mine is getting my one and only citation from a game warden for a throw cushion. Oh well.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: CoyAintNoGoldFish
Too bad all the fish are gonna die. They’re never adapt to the new Water temperatures and get bigger. It’s game over for ole Monti.
Not even sort of accurate. Monti was one of the original lakes the state stocked Florida strain largemouth bass because it was a power plant lake with warm winter temps. Resulted in a state record bass from Monticello in 1980. Since then the state found that the Florida strain flourish anywhere in Texas, "hot water" or not. The bass in Monticello will not float belly up because Monticello stops generating. "Not get bigger"? Kind of like they don't grow next door on Fork? They will act like the bass on all other Texas lakes. I will miss the unique winter fishing opportunity that this and other power plant lakes have afforded us. I will always remember casting weightless soft plastics into shallow pad fields with 70 degree water while it was freezing and sleeting outside. The EPA is quickly taking this opportunity/tradition away from me. cry
Posted By: Ynot

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/22/17 08:01 PM

I agree 361V !!! I remember those days when Monticello first open, fishing in the sleet and snow. It was great and still is and will continue to be!

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/23/17 01:59 AM

Lake Monticello sucked today. Caught one fish over 2lbs. At least it was 4.5lbs. Caught about 40 fish today, but all under 2lbs except the one.

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/23/17 02:33 AM

Caught 40 and the lake sucked ? Hmmmm
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/23/17 02:34 AM

Lake Monticello sucked today. Caught one fish over 2lbs. At least it was 4.5lbs. Caught about 40 fish today, but all under 2lbs except the one.

That has been the norm for the last month+. I think someone told the fish the plant was shutting down and has them freaked out already

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/23/17 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Caught 40 and the lake sucked ? Hmmmm

When you’re used to catching at least a few over 5 and you catch 40 1lbers? Yeah... I’d take 1 6lber over 40 1lbers every day.

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/23/17 02:40 AM

Probably only caught 4 fish over 1lb

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/23/17 04:24 AM

Wow!! That’s a dink festival. Man. What’s going on out there?

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/23/17 03:24 PM

No idea. I fished both bridges, ran south to find hydrilla (which was all but gone) but caught a few. Some of the only quality. We fished reeds for a bit. The Water seemed like it was 1-2’ low. Only things I didn’t do was fish offshore humps and flip pads. Talked to several guys who went passed us on the RR bridge and flipped pads. Most caught none. Some said they had one or two. Fished the discharge with 33 other boats. No one caught anything. One guy said he caught several 5lbers on the big bridge that morning, but I was there most of the morning and never saw him catch a fish. I did see a bank fisherman catch a 6lber on a minnow.... if you’re looking for big fish, stick to the main bridge and cross your fingers.

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/23/17 09:29 PM

Been awhile since I've been, what's the ramp fee ? Do they still have a entry person or is it a drop box ? Thanks

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/23/17 09:59 PM

$2/person

Re: Lake Monticello, get it while it's hot! - 11/23/17 10:05 PM

$2/person

Thanks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum