Texas Fishing Forum

Is this a new thing

Posted By: Jaredk

Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 02:18 AM

Or have i just not noticed it before? Seen it here twice in the last few days. Why are people saying “blacks and smallmouth”?....smallmouth are black bass...
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 02:26 AM

Blacks are large mouths,small mouths are called brown backs or bronze backs is what I always thought
Posted By: Jaredk

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 02:33 AM

Black bass are largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, guad, shoal, etc. when people are strictly talking about LMB, they never call them “blacks”.
Posted By: Bug-e

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: E8C-ENG
Black bass are largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, guad, shoal, etc. when people are strictly talking about LMB, they never call them “blacks”.

This. Black bass refers to all of the 14 recognized bass species in the genus Micropterus.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 02:37 AM

I always do and always have. Might be a regional think but I agree... A black bass is a largemouth. A smallmouth is not a largemouth. Nor is a smallmouth a black bass. If I'm talking smallmouth I call them "smallies" , "bronze backs" or even "brownies".

If someone asks me what I'm fishing for I might reply with "black bass". I never have considered that to mean anything other than a largemouth
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 02:42 AM

You got to keep up with the hip lingo.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper

Must be the same lingo that calls cover structure and vice versa
Posted By: Slefler

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: K.D.

thumb
Posted By: olemanfish

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 08:22 AM

black bass or large mouth is not part of the bass family. they are part of the sunfish family. the same goes for small mouth. texas has only one native bass. i think its the yellow bass. i am not sure of that but i know they only have one native bass.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 01:09 PM

Why can't they just be bass? Why have a color? All bass should be equal ...
Posted By: triton37

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 01:38 PM

Don't hook, fins up.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: olemanfish
black bass or large mouth is not part of the bass family. they are part of the sunfish family. the same goes for small mouth. texas has only one native bass. i think its the yellow bass. i am not sure of that but i know they only have one native bass.
You are right that Texas has only one native Bass but it`s the "Guadalupe" not the "yellow" thumb
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/12/17 02:34 PM

Lol
Posted By: toofy

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/13/17 03:49 AM

I always do and always have. Might be a regional think but I agree... A black bass is a largemouth. A smallmouth is not a largemouth. Nor is a smallmouth a black bass. If I'm talking smallmouth I call them "smallies" , "bronze backs" or even "brownies".

If someone asks me what I'm fishing for I might reply with "black bass". I never have considered that to mean anything other than a largemouth

What's black about them? They look green to me.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/13/17 01:36 PM

They look like succulent bass fillets to me.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/13/17 01:50 PM

Not even gonna touch this ....
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/13/17 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
Originally Posted By: olemanfish
You are right that Texas has only one native Bass but it`s the "Guadalupe" not the "yellow" thumb

Nope, Yellow Bass is right. Guadalupe is Micropterus Treculii (Micropterus is the Sunfish Family, Black Basses).

Though, I thought the temparate basses (White and Stripers) were native to Texas, just not necessarily in the numbers and in freshwater. Oh, we did have native northern strain LMB as well, The Guad is the only "Endemic" species however.
Posted By: LuvWater

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/13/17 08:12 PM

That's what I have always called them. I'm just a dumb country boy.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/13/17 08:22 PM

The yanks call them Largies and Smallies.
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/14/17 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
The yanks call them Largies and Smallies.

I referred to Largemouth as just bass and called Smallmouth "smallies"

Charlie Moore calls them Larry's and Sally's
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/14/17 02:33 AM

some folks up norf call smallmouth green bass
Posted By: cob

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/14/17 02:50 AM

In my world it has always been Largemouth, Brownies or Smallies, Spots or Kentuckies,and ( since I retired and moved to Central Texas) Guads or Guadeloupe.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Is this a new thing - 11/14/17 01:57 PM

Exactly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum