Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex Users -Boat Scale

Posted By: BoomBoom

Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 01:29 AM

Finally got an Ultrex for my 20ft Triton. I'm planning on getting on the water with it for the first time tomorrow. I have a question on the Boat Scale feature. Right now it shows zero, should I set it to +2? The motor is 36V with 110 thrust. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Jobucko

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 01:40 AM

I suggest you try it on +2 a couple of times then switch it to -2 just to see the difference. When I first installed my Ulterra 80 I think the default setting was +2 and the SpotLock was really harsh/aggressive when it stopped and or adjusted the boats position. Changed it to -2 and it really calmed down.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 02:29 AM

I have mine set on 0 and I use an 80 on my 20ft boat.

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 03:09 AM

Do y'all find yourself using the remote much? I'm most interested in the Spot Lock feature and that can be activated/deactivated with the foot pedal.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 03:35 AM

Mines in +1. I don't use the remote at all really
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 04:00 AM

I sometimes let my 9yr old son operate the TM with the remote. Other than that, I use the foot pedal, spot lock or link.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 12:33 PM

I kick it up to 2 when in big winds/waves and want to hold a spot. Yeah I know it's for boat scale but big winds and waves cause the boat to "seem" larger to the trolling motor. Other than that I keep it at zero.

I use the remote all the time in open water. Shallow or in stump fields I'm on the pedal.

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 01:06 PM

I use the remote occasionally in open water or to mess with my son when he is at the bow. But most of the time I use the foot pedal.

If we fished the same lake over and over again then I would probably use the remote more and the link features with the HB more, but we never put in the time to utilize that stuff.
Posted By: StratVoodoo

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 01:13 PM

Not to hijack the OP, but how to you adjust the setting?

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 01:56 PM

Use the menu up and menu down buttons on your remote to get to the System menu. You will see Boat Scale as an option under System menu.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 03:20 PM

I can not wait to be asking question about how to use my Ultrex!!!! Good luck - I watched a dude in the wind last Sunday sit and crappie fish from his back seat in 20 mph wind --- can not wait!
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: BoomBoom
Do y'all find yourself using the remote much? I'm most interested in the Spot Lock feature and that can be activated/deactivated with the foot pedal.

Not really. The only time I use it is if I need to go across a cove and tie something on, I'll just steer it with my remote. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 04:04 PM

This is what i do/ Remote is in my closet!
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 04:37 PM

Use the remote to create a path for you to follow. The foot pedal works well for straight lines, but the remote can store waypoints. Basically, you can use the remote to record your path. Then, you can replay it, forwards or backwards.

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: krawlin 47
I can not wait to be asking question about how to use my Ultrex!!!! Good luck - I watched a dude in the wind last Sunday sit and crappie fish from his back seat in 20 mph wind --- can not wait!

I'm pretty amped up too! The only downside I can see is that there is 'no give', like my old Fortrex, if you hit a stump.

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/10/17 05:52 PM

We have hit a number of stumps, rocks, and ran it ashore, and I am still on our first shaft. I think you just have to not be moving at on 10 power and you will be fine.

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/12/17 12:27 AM

Ok y'all got out on the water briefly today and lost 3 crankbaits on brushpiles. wink As far as boat scale is concerned, zero or 1 is plenty sufficient in moderate to low wind. I about fell out of the boat on +2. Also, the motor is alot quieter than my previous Fortrex.

Now for the questons, not sure what I'm doing wrong, but auto-pilot is not working. I have foot-pedal speed set to 6 and the motor barely moves forward. Am I mistaking autopilot for Cruise Control???? Does autopilot only control direction?

When utilizing spot-lock, if the wind is at my back, the transom wants to swing around almost like its in the jog mode. In to the wind, it holds the spot almost perfectly. When I look at the remote, the icon actually shows spot-lock jog, but I didn't activate it. Not sure if the icon is just showing jog is an option, since I have the heading sensor.

Going to head out tomorrow and hopefully work out the bugs.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/12/17 12:59 AM

The auto pilot >>>>>I THINK<<<<< holds "SOG" (speed over ground) and uses the N button to maintain a heading and speed. Haha....it pretty cool to set the speed lowish on a crosswind, as the boat will crawl sideways down the bank.

I like the power steering and it's ability to hold a direction. I use it a lot when changing rods, baits, relying, etc while jumping between docks or spots.

The thing amazes me every trip in a new way. It is durable. I used it as a " power pole" today to fish in 2ft of water. Just drift into a spot and deploy and let the motor dig into the rocks.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/12/17 01:01 AM

.....and anytime the spot lock is used, "jog" is the default display. It's ready to move in increments.
Posted By: Bigguy1

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/13/17 08:46 PM

Have not even taken my remote out of the bubble wrap it came in.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/13/17 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: BoomBoom
Originally Posted By: krawlin 47

I'm pretty amped up too! The only downside I can see is that there is 'no give', like my old Fortrex, if you hit a stump.
scared OH chit so when you see that stump coming you just close your eyes and hope you don't here snap? I have tested my Fortrex in a big way several times!
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Ultrex Users -Boat Scale - 11/14/17 04:20 PM

Set it on -2. Your boat doesn't weigh 5,000 lbs. It has nothing to do with the strength of the wind.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum