Texas Fishing Forum

What is a Bar?

Posted By: Bonedoc

What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 03:40 AM

I was reading a FLW article about fishing mainlake bars and really did not understand what one is. Hoping someone here can explain or even show a screen shot of Navionics or Lakemaster that demonstrates what a mainlake bar looks like.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 04:00 AM

It's a shallow ledge. Imagine a point jutting out in the lake but instead of tapering off, the edges are a 2-3 foot sheer drop.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 04:02 AM

Like that but if it were underwater
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 04:11 AM

I beg to differ with you KD, but I have always heard the term "bar" associated with sand. As in sand bar. Which to me is a un-vegetated underwater point that tapers off into deeper water.

In tidal water bars are normally exposed at low tide. In rivers and streams sand bars are something a boater must look out for so as not to get stuck on one when the tide is going out.
Posted By: str1249

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 04:19 AM

Like "Sand bass" are called "White bass" up north, a bar may be the same as a saddle. A shallow underwater ridge between islands, or between an island and mainland.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 05:02 AM

I don't know....
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 01:23 PM

Can you give the link to the article; so we can better understand the exact wording of the write-up.

From the ones I have fish on the TN. River and Ohio River they are silt, shell and sand deposited usually on the bend in the river. They are also called shoals and developed by shale deposits and build up right next to the river channel. Some of these are man made from dredging. All of them are not related to points, as they stand alone and can very well be there one year and gone the next due to flooding. Bars are formed by the current on a river system as the water moves silt, shells and floating debris down the river. This material will begin to hang up on the lip of the channel and continue to build in height and width over time producing a high spot next to the channel. How fast these develop depends on the lay of the contour in that area and the bend in the river producing the power to pile these debris up in one spot.

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 02:00 PM

https://www.flwfishing.com/tips/2016-11-16-fishing-bars-with-sam-lashlee
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 02:13 PM

Good article. I will stick with the same explanation of what a bar is and how they are formed on the TN. River. Although in some of his explanation of a bar it is connected to an island or high ground and extends out toward the channel.
Posted By: HDVS

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 02:24 PM

Sand and pea gravel bars that are usually at the mouths of coves on the Tennessee river. They also r on the main river coming off islands and shallow ledges.

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 02:31 PM

Thanks. I thought the article was very interesting as well
Posted By: BAllen91

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 02:55 PM

A guy on Fork has a bar on his dock, he once gave me a beer when I was fishing around his dock.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 03:58 PM

There's one on the main lake on Lewisville that I often fish around
Posted By: J C Outdoors

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 04:10 PM

Bars are created by the river flow and the shallow ones can change somewhat throughout the years depending on river flows and flooding. You can have multiple bars that parallel each other between the main river ledges and the shoreline or an island. Some are sand, some are gravel and many are a combination of both. They tend to have holes created by current on the downstream side of them. If you find the right bar and it has a shell bed on it you might find the goose that laid that golden egg.
Hope this helps.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/08/17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BAllen91
A guy on Fork has a bar on his dock, he once gave me a beer when I was fishing around his dock.
frkazoid

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/09/17 01:51 AM

http://www.ice-fishing-source.com/lake-structure.asp

I found this article thought I would share it.
Posted By: 361V

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/09/17 06:39 PM

Most of these sure look like points to me. Guess I've been calling em wrong but fishing em right. :-)
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/09/17 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: str1249
Like "Sand bass" are called "White bass" up north, a bar may be the same as a saddle. A shallow underwater ridge between islands, or between an island and mainland.

A "bar" is totally different than a saddle.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/10/17 10:14 PM

Place where you troll hoping you don’t get a big girl. Enough beers and you’ll just be happy you caught one even if she’s a throwback 👍
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/10/17 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Jobie99
Place where you troll hoping you don’t get a big girl. Enough beers and you’ll just be happy you caught one even if she’s a throwback 👍

A 2 at 10 and a 10 at 2
Posted By: Phototex

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/13/17 05:37 PM

I read somewhere that Davy Crockett shot a bar in Tennessee.
(Sorry - sometimes I just can't help myself.)
Posted By: CHewes

Re: What is a Bar? - 11/13/17 09:41 PM

This is a screen shot from my iPhone using the Navionics App of a series of sand bars at the mouth of a river. All of the images show are underwater except for the small amount of grass that is shown at the very top of the photo. The river channel is clearly visible for safe passage with the dark green water that matches the bay water.

I hope this helps!

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum