Texas Fishing Forum

snapping turtle?

Posted By: fishfree

snapping turtle? - 08/05/17 10:21 PM

have you eaten fresh water snapping and/or alligator turtle? How would you describe the taste and texture?

I catch one on occasion while fishing and let them go but I remember my grandfather's neighbor, some 60+ years ago, butchering a huge soft-shell turtle from the Red River. Seemed like a lot of work. He said it tasted like chicken.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: snapping turtle? - 08/05/17 10:35 PM

I've eaten sea turtle. It was very good. Don't know about other types.
Posted By: KQT

Re: snapping turtle? - 08/05/17 10:46 PM

Check the regulations on alligator snapper, I think it's a no-no. I think they use green ear sliders in New Orlean, surly a Cajun will know.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: snapping turtle? - 08/06/17 01:22 AM

Way back when I was a kid, I remember my aunt made turtle and them talking about how there's seven different kinds of meat on a turtle. Big old snapper. I remember a bite and it was kinda similar to frog, but a dark meat. Richer, but fishier and muddier. I wouldn't say no, but I didn't get that recipe from her before she died and I have absolutely no idea what she did or how.
Posted By: psalty

Re: snapping turtle? - 08/06/17 01:56 AM

I remember watching a video on YouTube where a fellow was "butchering" a turtle. What a burden !!!
Check out cleaning turtles on YouTube and decide for yourself.
KFC sounds a lot less burdensome and besides a little dude that sightly attractive deserves to snap until glory calls.
Some folks keep them as pets ?? noidea
Posted By: fishslime

Re: snapping turtle? - 08/06/17 03:51 PM

That's a sure nuff snapping turtle for sure!
Posted By: Yamonne

Re: snapping turtle? - 08/06/17 07:15 PM

They do taste like chicken. I still know people to this day that will keep every snapping turtle they catch because 1. they have too many of them in their ponds and 2. they taste really good
Posted By: greenen

Re: snapping turtle? - 08/07/17 10:12 PM

Lots of work for very little output on the meat. We cleaned and cooked a few growing up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum