Texas Fishing Forum

Freezing Tomatos

Posted By: butch sanders

Freezing Tomatos - 07/14/17 08:33 PM

is it worthwhile & what is best method
we cannot keep up with our supply
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: Freezing Tomatos - 07/14/17 09:49 PM

best method: put them in the freezer with a popcicle stick so you can have a tomaterpopcile later. it's really good, try it.

Re: Freezing Tomatos - 07/14/17 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
best method: put them in the freezer with a popcicle stick so you can have a tomaterpopcile later. it's really good, try it.

you want some Buzzard
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Freezing Tomatos - 07/15/17 12:25 AM

I've been freezing mine to save to make salsa later. I washed and dried them and just put them in a gallon zip lock. These are the smaller Improved Porters so I can fit a lot in a bag. I pulled a bag out last weekend to make a batch and let them thaw. I was thinking it's going to be a real PITA to shock boil and skin all these. Once they thawed the skins peeled right off. It was great. And they kept their flavor. I would say 75+% of the maters lost their firmness, but even the ones that stayed firm pilled very easily.

In closing. If you want your maters to stay firm and not skin easily don't do what I did lol.

Re: Freezing Tomatos - 07/15/17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Derek 🐝
I've been freezing mine to save to make salsa later. I washed and dried them and just put them in a gallon zip lock. These are the smaller Improved Porters so I can fit a lot in a bag. I pulled a bag out last weekend to make a batch and let them thaw. I was thinking it's going to be a real PITA to shock boil and skin all these. Once they thawed the skins peeled right off. It was great. And they kept their flavor. I would say 75+% of the maters lost their firmness, but even the ones that stayed firm pilled very easily.

In closing. If you want your maters to stay firm and not skin easily don't do what I did lol.

that is the method i wanted to confirm
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Freezing Tomatos - 07/24/17 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
Originally Posted By: Derek 🐝

that is the method i wanted to confirm

That's what we do. It works. Banner year for tomatoes.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Freezing Tomatos - 08/13/17 12:39 AM

How did you dry them?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum