Texas Fishing Forum

Frying Bluegill Fillets Question

Posted By: SlowDown

Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 06/09/17 04:54 PM

When using a packaged breeding mix to fry bluegill fillets, should I sprinkle salt on the fillets before I bread them, or will the mix have enough salt already in it?
Posted By: SwampyMarsh

Re: Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 06/09/17 06:08 PM

Give it a little taste and find out. I prefer my fish salty so I would just add some to the breading.
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 06/09/17 06:22 PM

I always end up adding stuff to whatever mix I use. Cayenne, Old Bay, Tony's, or whatever I feel like. Swampy is right though, give it a taste test first.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 06/09/17 07:04 PM

Depends if the breading is seasoned or not. Louisiana Fish Fry has several varieties of seasoned but they also sell unseasoned. This has no salt in it. I find the seasoned packages to contain too much salt for my taste.

Just use 2 parts cornmeal, one part flour and season to taste.

Re: Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 06/09/17 07:48 PM

Thanks very much for the replies. I know my question is kind of dumb, but I have always felt that food taste better if it is cooked with the right amount of salt on it instead of adding salt after it is cooked.

I'll add a little salt to the breading mix this time and see how it comes out. When I cook fish on the grill, I use Old Bay, so will add at least a teaspoon of it too.

Fouzman, if this doesn't come out good tonight, I'm going to do what you say and mix my own. Will probably have to keep adjusting the salt and seasonings for a fry or two to get it right. Thanks again.

Re: Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 06/10/17 02:03 AM

Ok, I'm done with store bought fish fry mixes. I used a box of Zatarain's Lemon Pepper Fish Fry and added a teaspoon of salt. The amount of salt was fine, but the dang stuff was so hot with cayenne that it burned. My wife flinched when she took the first bite, and she can tolerate hot spices better than I can.

I have used Zatarain's before and didn't have this problem. I'm guessing they made up a batch and did not get the seasonings mixed well throughout, leaving some extra hot. Anyway, this motivates me to mix my own from scratch in the future. Just thought I'd give you a report, since you were good enough to give me some feedback before I cooked it.
Posted By: wupbass

Re: Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 06/10/17 07:42 PM

Don't season. You can always season later as it comes out of oil.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 06/13/17 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Depends if the breading is seasoned or not. Louisiana Fish Fry has several varieties of seasoned but they also sell unseasoned. This has no salt in it. I find the seasoned packages to contain too much salt for my taste.

+1,..... and I LIKE salt!!!

I buy the seasoned and mix/thin it with cornmeal.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 06/17/17 01:48 AM

Clean, scale, mix corn meal with salt and pepper,dash of paprika and garlic powder, Fry whole at 350*
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 06/17/17 02:03 PM

Going on 71 years old and I still can't get past plain old yeller corn meal and hot hot grease.
I salt my fish and then shake in a bag of yeller meal. No milk no egg no nothing but yeller cornmeal and salt. Never had a single person complain about my fish cooking or that they didn't like it.
Posted By: Lloyd5

Re: Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 06/17/17 04:43 PM

I'll add that Lard makes the best grease to cook bluegills in. Clean, scale, cook whole, roll in mustard, then in yellow cornmeal, then into screaming hot lard. Yes, that is old school grandma's recipe. Still the best.
Posted By: Woodwzrd

Re: Frying Bluegill Fillets Question - 09/13/17 02:09 AM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum