Texas Fishing Forum

Beef Heart - Delicious and Different

Posted By: Lloyd5

Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 05/31/17 06:30 PM

Beef heart is an outstanding meat. Easy to cook, has great texture, is lean and healthy and tender. Usually pretty cheap too.

I'd like to see if anyone else eats it and how they cook it.

I cut it into thin strips and saute in a skillet on low heat, covered pan, in butter and red wine with onions, salt, pepper, and garlic. I let it cook a good long while, probably 40 minutes or so, so it gets plenty tender.

Either served straight up or over rice. Easy and quick and good. The texture is excellent, tight and chewy but tender. It has a good clean bite. It has a taste that reminds me slightly of gizzard crossed with steak.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 05/31/17 08:07 PM

Had it in tacos a few times. It's good.

Re: Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 05/31/17 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Had it in tacos a few times. It's good.

Tacos! clap That would work! Fajitas too I'd think.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 05/31/17 09:09 PM

pig and deer also.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 06/02/17 08:41 PM

Sliced thin and chicken fried, it's good, but I prefer the tongue.
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 06/03/17 12:17 PM

Growing up my Mom made beef hearts and gravy over mashed potatoes. I would give anything to have it one more time
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 06/03/17 07:25 PM

Sounds good
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 06/03/17 09:23 PM

One of the recipes I didn't get from my aunts. I remember beef heart tacos and in gravy but I went after the tongue so much more. I've never tried to cook it here. Too many picky eaters would turn their noses up at it.
Posted By: Beer Money

Re: Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 06/03/17 09:59 PM

My wife cuts it in strips and marinates it. It's then skewered and grilled. It's a traditional dish for us on Peruvian Independence Day.
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 06/13/17 03:19 AM

Planning on trying heart tacos this week. Wife saying she won't touch them. Told her hope she enjoys raw veggie tacos then! roflmao Always annoying when people aren't even willing to try something new. Lol

Re: Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 06/13/17 12:11 PM

Oh yes I agree. The rule when I was raising my kids was that it was okay to not like something, but only after trying it. Don't want to try it? Fine, no food at all then.

They tried everything once they believed. They liked almost everything they resisted trying.

My wife will try new foods, but she rarely likes anything different from what she grew up eating. She approaches new foods with a negative attitude so there's not much chance of her liking it. I suspect that is because her family ate a very small and boring menu of items.

Drives me crazy when people won't try a new to them dish - but then there's no way in hell that escargot will ever cross my lips so I guess I can understand it a little.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Beef Heart - Delicious and Different - 06/25/17 05:50 PM

I eat the heart of every big game animal I take. Slice it thin and fry it up. Always tasty.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum