Texas Fishing Forum

Beer Can Chicken Question

Posted By: V-Bottom

Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/05/17 04:21 AM

I have been watching a few videos on cooking chicken this and one guy brought up the question about where the Coloring material on the can go. Did it burn up and the chicken absorbed it? I also saw a lady cooking one using a Sprite can and when the bird was done, the can seemed to be unaffected. What is your experience doing this?
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/05/17 03:41 PM

Been doin beer butt chickens for years I don't put them over direct flames push your heat source to one side if your concerned about can wrap it in aluminum foil
Posted By: GunsUp18

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/05/17 04:23 PM

I had the same concern and these holders help. I as well as others believe the flavor comes more from the position of the chicken more than the beer itself. I've also seen folks put in oven safe dishes filled with beer in the bottom as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Smokey-Beer-Chicken-Holder/dp/B000XE63M2
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/05/17 05:20 PM

i almost always use Miller Lite cans. seem to be a lot of them around here, and i've never had the ink come off. i use indirect heat also. i put a 1/4 stick of butter in the 1/2 full can.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/05/17 06:29 PM

I have done them for years with no problem as to anything coming off the can. I don't think it matters what is in the can as it doesn't really get hot enough to evaporate. Therefore, I just put some water in it to help keep the chicken moist and have never been able to tell any difference in regards to taste. The taste comes from what you season it with. I douse it liberally with lemon/pepper both inside and out.

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/05/17 06:53 PM

Thanx for the input. I ordered a Dual Can setup yesterday. Now to look into some good rubs.

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/05/17 08:13 PM

What ever rub you use put some in the 1/2 can of beer also use room temp beer not cold

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/05/17 09:35 PM

Got Cha ^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Naggler

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/06/17 12:03 AM

The Sittin' Chicken is the best I have used...slow smoke em and the bird slides off the holder easily.

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/06/17 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Naggler
The Sittin' Chicken is the best I have used...slow smoke em and the bird slides off the holder easily.

So...where do ya get the stuff?

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/06/17 05:03 AM

Originally Posted By: V-Bottom
Originally Posted By: Naggler

So...where do ya get the stuff?

Thought that may have been rub but it's a
porcelin container

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/06/17 11:11 PM

V-bottom
Starting at the neck of the bird work your fingers between the skin and meat to separate soften a little bit of butter and mix it with your spices and rub it it between meat and skin - great results I also stick a whole jalapeņo in neck hole it holds in steam from beer can
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/07/17 04:57 PM

The Sitten Chicken holder looks good. I have a similar one that came from Canada as a gift. Works a lots better than the wire contraptions which almost require two people to get the chicken off after cooking. You pour liquid into the built-in "can" instead of using an actual can. Highly recommend getting one of these if you do them often.
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/08/17 12:55 AM

been doing chickens with beer cans for years, ink ken bee absorbed by chicken but me feel effect no brain damege cause eye can reed adn rite reel guud...dirp

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/08/17 04:58 PM

I'm happy for ya...^^^^^^^^
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/10/17 02:10 AM

Try this instead. Cut up some chopped onions and red or fingerling potatoes and arrange in the bottom of a Bundt cake pan, salt and pepper until it looks right. Season and butter a whole chicken inside and out and instead of a beer can, put your chicken rear on tube of the Bundt pan. There's just enough moisture in the onions and potatoes to add steam to the chicken and the chicken drippings bathe your veggies in a delicious sauce. Great flavor and an easy meal.

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 01/10/17 04:20 PM

Now that's an idea there. Sounds D-licious. Now to find one of those pans. Thanx
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 02/28/17 12:23 PM

I do mine in the convection oven set at 350 degrees F. Takes about 1.5 hours.

I use a stand designed to hold the can in a metal cake pan to catch the drippings. I also use a can opener to cut out the entire top of the beer can. It works very well and leaves a clean edge.

In the 1/2 can of beer, i drop in some chunks of white onion and some sliced jalapeņo.

After placing the chicken over the can, I rub it down with olive oil and then apply dry Cajun spice rub.

I plug up the neck cavity of the chicken with either a large chunk of onion or potato.

Cook until the thigh measures 180 degrees F.

Every time I do it this way, the skin is nice and crispy, and the joints are so loose, I just slightly twist, and the wing comes right off the body.

Enjoy!
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 03/03/17 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Yakker
I do mine in the convection oven set at 350 degrees F. Takes about 1.5 hours.

I use a stand designed to hold the can in a metal cake pan to catch the drippings. I also use a can opener to cut out the entire top of the beer can. It works very well and leaves a clean edge.

In the 1/2 can of beer, i drop in some chunks of white onion and some sliced jalapeņo.

After placing the chicken over the can, I rub it down with olive oil and then apply dry Cajun spice rub.

I plug up the neck cavity of the chicken with either a large chunk of onion or potato.

Cook until the thigh measures 180 degrees F.

Every time I do it this way, the skin is nice and crispy, and the joints are so loose, I just slightly twist, and the wing comes right off the body.

Enjoy!

This is exactly how I do mine with a couple of things added --- I like to cram rosemary down the neck cavity and tuck rosemary and garlic cloves under the wings.

I have a two chicken beer can tray...cook these for a party and there is nothing left in a half hour...people can not stop eating it!!!! YUM food

Always great to do this on a charcoal grill...most of the time I do it in the oven though....lazy lazy!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 03/03/17 03:40 PM

We've got a couple of special dishes to cook beer can chicken. One has a trough to catch drippings that you can put rice in and cook it while smoking the chicken. Good stuff.
Posted By: ~Moose~

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 03/22/17 07:57 PM

I use one of those porcelain contraptions they were talking about. It works the best. I used to fumble with the wire models and cans until I found this. Add seasoning and a jalapeno to the beer. Coat the chicken with just a little bit of olive oil to hold the rub. Sprinkle a generous amount of Cavenders inside and out. Cook on the grill with indirect heat until you hit 165 internal temp (I always check the thick part of the thigh). You can throw some wood chips of your choice on the coals early on for some added flavor if you choose. Then I remove the chicken, wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Always makes a good bird!
Posted By: MuskogeeMac

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 03/24/17 07:54 PM

A beer can inside a chicken isn't going to boil until it reaches 212 degrees. I'm sure it keeps it moister. But I doubt it is steaming.

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 03/24/17 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: MuskogeeMac
A beer can inside a chicken isn't going to boil until it reaches 212 degrees. I'm sure it keeps it moister. But I doubt it is steaming.

what temp do you cook at? i go to at least 250 for whole chicken. i put 1/2 stick of butter in the can with the beer. i think it makes a great difference.
Posted By: MuskogeeMac

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 03/25/17 11:08 AM

I cook at 250 also. But the can is inside a 50-70 degree bird.

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 03/25/17 01:39 PM

this mine. i think the heat transfers to the liquid. maybe not to boiling, but at least to steaming. the heat in smoke can in the bottom of the smoker transfers enough to ignite the wood chips. i'll find out for sure tomorrow. i'm doing a brisket and a chicken. i'll slip a internal thermometer into the can thru the neck of the bird. love this field testing.
Posted By: wupbass

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 04/19/17 12:38 PM

Field test results?? just wondering....

Re: Beer Can Chicken Question - 04/19/17 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: wupbass
Field test results?? just wondering....

when the chicken reached 160 inside, the beer in the can was also 160. i had another 1/2 full can on the side, just out of curiosity, and it was 180. don't know if it was steaming or not. when i opened the door there was so much smoke, i couldn't tell. the chicken was very moist and tender, but personally, i like it a little more done. that was 4 hrs at 225. i couldn't get the smoker any higher without flaring up the wood chips. will try the pellets next time. i think it needs more field testing. lol.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum