Texas Fishing Forum

Chilli

Posted By: hallfns

Chilli - 11/20/16 09:22 PM

Who has a recipe they would share? Beef...
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Chilli - 11/20/16 09:49 PM

I love chili am also very very critical of it. I have found a very simple recipe for it not the best just real good eating chili and easy to make.
1 pouch of McCormick regular chili mix
1 can crushed tomatoes do not drain Red Gold
1 can tomato sauce Red Gold
cumin and chili powder to taste about 1/2 ts each is it use good chili powder not the cheap stuff McCormick, Mexene if you can find it, use 1 lb ground chuck drain most of liquid
Brown meat, drain add everything else simmer about 45min to hour eat. Add some water if need while simmering and stirring.

Prior to this recipe I threw out about 3-4 of every 5 pots I made. Not the best but very good. Never beans in it.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Chilli - 11/21/16 02:00 AM

Same-ish recipe as above, as it's simmering though I toss in a scoop of brown sugar. Also I blend 1 habanero and 2-3 chunks of garlic in about a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of cream. Stir it in and let simmer, evenly distributes the heat and I prefer it over cayenne.

(Is no beans a Texas thing)? hmmm
Posted By: ArgyleFloater

Re: Chilli - 11/21/16 02:08 AM

Heat good.....Beans bad
Have to go north of Red River to have beans in ur chili...
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Chilli - 11/21/16 02:36 AM

google Joe Coopers World Championship Chili. i never put tomatos in chili.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Chilli - 11/21/16 03:16 AM

Carrol Shelby chili kit and half chili ground, 1/2 hamburger grind. It is outstanding chili.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Chilli - 11/22/16 10:33 PM

That must be it, i'm from way north of the red river. Chili without beans is called stew hmmm
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Chilli - 12/13/16 07:22 PM

Colorado Mountain Chili

1st set of ingredients
2-3 lb. Venison or Ground Sirloin
1 Lg. Sweet Onion (chopped)
1 T Butter
2-4 T Chili Powder
2 T Seasoned Pepper
1 T Paprika
2 t Salt

2nd set of ingredients
2-10oz. cans Rotel Chili Fixin’s
28 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
28 oz can Diced tomatoes
1 T Cumin
2 T. Chili Powder (optional)
1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar (optional)
1 can Tomato Paste

Directions
1. Cook onions in butter over medium heat until caramelized then add chili meat.
2. Cook until done then add remaining ingredients from 1st set.
3. Let simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Add 2nd set of ingredients and stir until ingredients are incorporated.
5. Simmer over low heat for another 30 minutes.
6. The longer you let it simmer, the more chili flavor you will get.

More chili powder can be added to 2nd set of ingredients to give it a kick and if you do not like it sweet, just leave out the brown sugar. Tomato paste can be added to thicken the chili.
Posted By: MikeB@TX.

Re: Chilli - 12/14/16 05:35 PM

EASY EASY EASY

3 lbs. ground chuck
1 medium onoin
2 cloves garlic
1 bell pepper
3 tbsp. Gebhardt Chili powder
1 tsp. Cumin
1 28oz. can of Tomatoe sauce
1 14oz. can of cut tomatoes
12oz. water
pinch of cayanne pepper
1 tsp. sugar
salt to taste

Brown meat and saute onoins,garlic and bell pepper.
Add other ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Chilli - 12/15/16 07:02 PM

• 2 lbs chili grind sirloin steak
• (salt and black pepper to taste)
• 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
• 2 cups water
• 2 teaspoons paprika
• 4 teaspoons cumin
• 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 cup chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (add more if you like it spicier less if you dont)
• 2 tablespoons masa harina flour (added last)
• 1/4 cup hot water
• 1 15 oz can chili beans. (optional)
Brown and season with salt and pepper the ground meat and add to large pot or skillet. Add the tomato sauce and water and all the spices (masa is not a spice so you will add that later) …and stir until the mixture starts to boil….turn down heat to low and let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes (pot should be covered)….during this time you should stir the mixture about every 5 or 10 minutes. .. at 30 minutes you want to check the consistency of the chili ( thick or thin) usually it will be very loose and thin so you should add the 2 tablespoons of masa to the ¼ cup hot water and stir to make a slurry and slowly stir the masa/water mixture in the chili ….this will thicken up the chili..in about 5 -10 minutes…if you want beans in your chili you can add them at this point, we use Bush brand chili beans and drain off as much of the liquid from the beans as you can. Stir in the beans and heat for another 5-10 minutes and then it is ready to serve or slow simmer (covered) until ready to serve.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Chilli - 12/18/16 07:08 PM

Lawry's chili seasoning is my favorite. I use deer meat and lots of diced onions and garlic. I also use Bush's chili beans (pinto) and the juice off of them makes the chili that much better. I do a high simmer 3 or 4 times as long as what they call for, about an hour.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Chilli - 12/19/16 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Lawry's chili seasoning is my favorite. I use deer meat and lots of diced onions and garlic. I also use Bush's chili beans (pinto) and the juice off of them makes the chili that much better. I do a high simmer 3 or 4 times as long as what they call for, about an hour.

If you ever had some real chili seasoning you would be amazed at the difference.

Re: Chilli - 12/19/16 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

If you ever had some real chili seasoning you would be amazed at the difference.

Where can I get some?
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Chilli - 12/19/16 04:49 PM

I could sit here and give a dissertation on the origins of chili and whether to use prepackaged chili seasoning mix or to start with the dried guahillo, chipotle, and ancho chilies. I know how to do it from scratch... and that it's based off a pared down mole sauce... and the truest pot of chili doesn't contain tomatoes. It's literally just meat, onions, peppers, and garlic.

HOWEVER.

Chili has evolved. And what I love, somebody else would find weird. If you want a serviceable chili, Williams chili seasoning has been on the market for decades for a reason. It's good, cheap, and folks like it. There's as many recipes for chili as there's been cooks in the state of Texas over the past 180 years. There's no "one true Texas chili"

Here's the base that everything else comes from.
5 pounds beef cut into small bits.
5 tablespoons cumin
5 large onions, chopped
10 cloves garlic, crushed
10 New mexico red chile pods - remove seeds, stems, and any white ribs.
6 cups beef broth
Oregano, to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

In a separate pot, add 2+ cups of water to boil. When it boils, add your chilies and make sure they're covered by the water, put a lid on it, and turn off the burner. Leave it sitting for 10 to 15 minutes until very soft. Puree the soft pods in a blender.

In a large, heavy bottom pot, brown the beef. Add the cumin, chopped onions and garlic. Cook until onions go clear. Add the pureed pods, oregano, salt and pepper to the stew pot, stirring the mixture well. Cook the chili from 3 to 4 hours over low heat, adding water and stirring as necessary.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Chilli - 12/19/16 05:28 PM

I get really sick and tired of folks beating the drums about beans in chili. I've found one common thread whether or not your chili has beans in it. And it depends on how rich your folks were when they were growing up. If they needed to bulk out the chili to make it so everybody had enough to eat, then there's beans in it.

That said, don't even think coming in the same county as my chili with kidney beans. And you can keep your sugar in your cornbread and out of my chili. Yes, I have encountered this mess up north. Kentucky folks eat WEIRD.

The original Wick Fowler's chili.
2 lbs beef
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups broth
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
1+ tablespoon dried minced onion
1/4+ teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 cup chili powder
1 teaspoon ground red pepper

Brown beef in a heavy bottom pot. Add tomato sauce, 2 cups broth, paprika, cumin, onion flakes, garlic salt, chili powder, and ground red pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it simmers, the better it gets. Slow and low simmering makes it good. Add water as needed. Taste before you add any salt.

If you want it thicker....

2 tablespoons masa harina flour
1/4 cup hot water
Dissolve 2 tablespoons masa into 1/4 cup hot water to make a thick, but flowable mixture. Add masa mixture to chili. Cover and simmer another 15-20 minutes.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Chilli - 12/19/16 05:35 PM

Where can I get some?

http://www.penderys.com/

They're down in the hospital district in fort worth. I suggest the Pentry's original and the Top Hat. Also pick up some Cumin. they have every spice you can imagine.
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Chilli - 12/19/16 05:37 PM

This is marvelous.

Chili Blanco

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 slices thick cut bacon
1 large white onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 tsp ground cumin
1-2 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper
1-2 cups chicken broth
4 cups of Great Northern beans (rinse if using canned beans)
1 small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 small can diced green chilis, drained

shredded Monterey jack or Mexican blend cheese
fresh limes
chopped cilantro

Cook the chicken and shred, chop, or dice it. I dice it and then cook in a little olive oil.

Render the fat from the bacon and sauté until crispy around the edges.  Remove from pan, leave 3-4 tablespoons of bacon fat in the pan. Add the onion and some salt, sauté until they have a little color.

Add the garlic, cumin and oregano to the onions, sauté for a couple minutes over medium heat. 

Add the chicken stock.  Turn down the heat to a very low simmer.

Add the beans, the meaty parts of the bacon (strip off the cooked fat and give it to the dog), the green chilis, and a touch of just the adobo sauce from the canned chipotles.

Add the chicken. Simmer for 90 minutes or 2 hours or until you like it.

Sometimes I add some powdered chipotle.

Spoon into a bowl.

Squeeze some fresh lime juice on top, garnish with chopped cilantro and shredded cheese. You can also throw on some sliced avocado.

Re: Chilli - 12/20/16 02:56 PM

Where can I get some?

http://www.penderys.com/

They're down in the hospital district in fort worth. I suggest the Pentry's original and the Top Hat. Also pick up some Cumin. they have every spice you can imagine.

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum