Texas Fishing Forum

Hush puppy recipe

Posted By: ArgyleFloater

Hush puppy recipe - 11/04/16 12:31 AM

Anyone have a good hush puppy recipe they would like to share?
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Hush puppy recipe - 11/06/16 12:19 AM

Have made them for many years many different ways. The easiest and very good way is to use self-rising corn meal (1/2 TO 1 cup depending on how many are eating), add jalapenos, onions, etc. as you like, and stir in buttermilk till it is a consistency to drop off a spoon with effort. I also throw in a small handful of whole kernel corn (frozen). Do not put egg in it as it will cause them to brown too fast and not get cooked in the middle. (I learned this after many years of less than desirable results.) Deep fry in 325 degree oil till they float. Need to keep the temp down lower than what you would fry fish as, once again, they will brown too quickly.
Posted By: wupbass

Re: Hush puppy recipe - 11/06/16 09:11 PM

Use a small scoop or disher. That makes them a consistent size and a lot easier to cook evenly.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Hush puppy recipe - 11/06/16 10:46 PM

1c cornmeal
1/2t baking powder
1/2t salt
2 tbs minced onion

beat together 1 egg and 1/4c milk and add dry ingredients
add minced japs for a kick

...from 'Joy of Cooking'
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Hush puppy recipe - 11/11/16 03:08 AM

throw some creamed corn in them!!

For what its worth, I think the ones in the store are about as good as you can make, and a whole lot easier.
Posted By: Chevy4dr57

Re: Hush puppy recipe - 11/11/16 05:01 PM

I never cared for hush puppies until someone made them while we were fishing in Mexico.
Instead of using milk he used V-8 juice. It gave them a very distinctive taste that I really liked.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Hush puppy recipe - 11/17/16 01:10 AM

V-8 juice? Am going to try that one. I sometime make squashpuppies with mashed boiled yellow squash in the batter. The V-8 might be a good addition.
Posted By: slim1

Re: Hush puppy recipe - 11/17/16 12:44 PM

Best hush puppies I ever had were made with stone ground corn meal. They were great.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum