Texas Fishing Forum

frying sand bass

Posted By: Darrell

frying sand bass - 07/27/15 02:23 AM

been awhile since I've fried some..would like to know any ideas starting with the filleting..is there a dark strip need to cut out like some fish? what kind of coating, grease, temp, time etc
Posted By: slim1

Re: frying sand bass - 07/27/15 11:59 AM

I just fillet them, put Louisiana Fish Fry on them, and throw them in the oil. Be sure there are no bones left in the fillets.
Posted By: CTW

Re: frying sand bass - 07/27/15 05:52 PM

I don't clean any of the red meat off, I don't think there is enough to mess with. It has never had an off taste to me, I actually prefer sand bass to crappie. I coat the filets in yellow mustard and the use the Louisiana fish fry, flavor depends on what I have or who I am cooking for, and then fry in peanut oil. I have converted several people who would never eat sandbass cooking them like this. Simple and no special preparations.
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: frying sand bass - 07/27/15 07:05 PM

I put Tony's on them the night before sure make them good
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: frying sand bass - 07/28/15 01:32 AM

Soak them in buttermilk for a couple of hours. Then bread and fry. No funky taste.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: frying sand bass - 07/28/15 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: CTW
I don't clean any of the red meat off, I don't think there is enough to mess with. It has never had an off taste to me, I actually prefer sand bass to crappie. I coat the filets in yellow mustard and the use the Louisiana fish fry, flavor depends on what I have or who I am cooking for, and then fry in peanut oil. I have converted several people who would never eat sandbass cooking them like this. Simple and no special preparations.
That is what my brother does.
Posted By: Thumpmeister1

Re: frying sand bass - 07/28/15 02:26 AM

Gotta go with BigBob on the buttermilk. Then the cornmeal with a generous shot of salt-free Tony's and they're good to go. I do my crappie the same way and can hardly tell the difference.
Posted By: SamCollins123

Re: frying sand bass - 08/22/15 06:29 PM

Cook them normal
Posted By: Daniel Mtanous

Re: frying sand bass - 09/11/15 01:34 AM

Skin them, fillet them, wash them real good and dry the meat real good. Rub some oil on them and pamper them in corn meal. Fry them with oil that snaps when you drop a drop of water into it. You only need to fry them in enough oil to cover half of the fillet and a little on the edges. You don't have to drown them. Fry until golden brown or darker. Eat with Ketchup or Tar Tar Sauce. Don't forget the frys! Or Hush Puppies.
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: frying sand bass - 09/18/15 09:32 PM

If you like the flavor of Tabasco this is what I do,dump fillets into a large bowl cover all filets with Tabasco sauce,let set for couple hours or so until the meat turns red,combine as much Nature Seasoning as u want in a bowl with regular yellow corn meal, coat the fillets with the corn meal and deep fry in peanut oil
Posted By: TCK73

Re: frying sand bass - 09/27/15 09:37 PM

They have the fried part covered. We eat them fried some, but usually they are grilled or baked. For the grill, season with your favorite seasoning, and simply grill them. Keep them basted with butter and you will have a good meal. They also go good baked in a dish with some butter and Cavenders Steak Seasoning. You can make almost anything such as scampi, and even fish parmesean and you can't go wrong.
Posted By: Spondoly

Re: frying sand bass - 11/02/15 09:18 PM

Try the usual way you prepare your fish. Before you put fish in oil, put about 15 whole jalapeņo in the oil until they get pretty black. Take peppers out and then fry fish as usual. Gives the fish a roasted pepper/chili taste that everyone wants to know what you spiced your fish with. It will not be hot. Use peppers to make tartar sauce if you want to. Enjoy !!!!!
Posted By: swarner

Re: frying sand bass - 02/24/16 03:17 AM

They are not bad. Cut the red out of the meat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum