Texas Fishing Forum

chuck roast on smoker

Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

chuck roast on smoker - 07/01/15 03:14 PM

How long would you cook it?
Posted By: smooth move

Re: chuck roast on smoker - 07/01/15 05:44 PM

not trying to be a smart A$$, but, till it's done to your liking. the bigger it is, the longer it takes and the min per pound will increase with thickness. if i cook a 3" thick roast, i rub it, then sear it in a skillet(both sides), then cook on smoker at 250 for 4 or 5 hours. i imagine it would take longer if you don't sear it. i like searing as apposed to a smoke ring, because it seals the juices in better. i'd love to hear how others do it.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: chuck roast on smoker - 07/01/15 05:47 PM

The last one I did I put it in the smoker with a rub from ObieCue using Pecan wood for 3 hours, then took it out wrapped it in foil along with beer and Worsterchere sauce and some other spices and put it in the oven cooking at 225 all night. Took it out in the morning, wrapped it in a towel, put it in an ice chest and let it sit for 45 minuites. Took it out and put it in a big foil pan and cut it up and poured the juices out of the foil on top of it. It was awesome even for breakfast.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: chuck roast on smoker - 07/01/15 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: TBassYates
The last one I did I put it in the smoker with a rub from ObieCue using Pecan wood for 3 hours, then took it out wrapped it in foil along with beer and Worsterchere sauce and some other spices and put it in the oven cooking at 225 all night. Took it out in the morning, wrapped it in a towel, put it in an ice chest and let it sit for 45 minuites. Took it out and put it in a big foil pan and cut it up and poured the juices out of the foil on top of it. It was awesome even for breakfast.

dang---that sounds good, bet it fell apart----taco filler!
Posted By: fishslime

Re: chuck roast on smoker - 07/02/15 12:10 AM

I do these all the time instead of briskets. I smoke them about 4 hrs. open, then wrap in foil, and smoke another 4 hrs. They are great - no waste and more tender and have more flavor than any brisket. I'll never buy another brisket.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: chuck roast on smoker - 07/02/15 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: fishslime
I do these all the time instead of briskets. I smoke them about 4 hrs. open, then wrap in foil, and smoke another 4 hrs. They are great - no waste and more tender and have more flavor than any brisket. I'll never buy another brisket.

Yep. Can't afford brisket.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: chuck roast on smoker - 07/02/15 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: fishslime
Sounds good and easy,thanks everyone
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: chuck roast on smoker - 07/03/15 05:50 PM

sounds like a good idea
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: chuck roast on smoker - 07/18/15 04:52 PM

I don't bother smoking chuck roasts, too flat. I just do them on the grill like a huge steak, hot coals about 6 minutes a side with the lid down (no matter what you hear don't look!) Slice Guatemalan style, on the bias across the grain, about 1/4" thick slices. Family loves it. It's a very tasty piece of meat and doesn't need a lot of seasoning.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum