Texas Fishing Forum

BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker

Posted By: ou.sooner

BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker - 05/24/15 02:20 PM

I've posted this over on TX BBQ Forum as well but thought I'd try here too.

Do any of you guys (closer to Dallas the better) have or know someone that has a Shirley Fabrication smoker? I'd really like to take a look at one without driving all the way to Tuscaloosa. I'm wanting a trailer model but would be happy to take a look at any model.

I'm in Carrollton but willing to drive a bit to see one.

Thank you!

Re: BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker - 05/29/15 04:40 PM

Alright then let me change the direction of this thread a little.

I am currently using an Old Country Pecos Smoker from Academy. I've really enjoyed it but my cooking is outgrowing it and I'm starting to look at trailer smokers. Right now I am looking at Shirley Fabrication and Johnson Smokers out of Ennis. What are you guys that have trailer smokers using? Any suggestions or recommendations?
Posted By: Countyline22

Re: BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker - 05/29/15 06:02 PM

I don't know what kind of money you are looking to spend but you need to take a look at Jambo Pitts. Just Google them. There is a reason why you see a lot of the professional BBQ guys using them.

Re: BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker - 05/29/15 09:32 PM

I've looked at Jambo. They are nice. Would like to stay in the $3000 - $4000 price range. Jambo starts at $5500.

I've also looked at East Texas Smoker Company. They have a decent looking pit with lots of trailer space.
Posted By: Shingles

Re: BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker - 05/30/15 05:00 AM

Ou get in touch with tritonman... He is our TFF resident BBQ GURU! Post this in the OT as well. Lot of guys down there know a thing or two about BBQ and smokers
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker - 05/30/15 05:33 AM

There are any number of Shirley Fabrication smoker reviews on Youtube if that will helf any

Re: BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker - 05/31/15 08:26 PM

Thanks guys. I've watched most of the YouTube videos as well as the Shirley Fabrication Facebook videos. Read most of the threads on the BBQ Brethren as well. Can't find anything bad said about them. I'm going to visit a couple of pit makers closer to home but really leaning toward Shirley right now.
Posted By: Ringer1

Re: BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker - 06/20/15 02:50 PM

There is a guy in Rockwall that makes some very nice pits. He makes them the way you want them. Big Phil's Smokers and Metal Works.

Facebook also has a "Smokers Buy Sell Trade" page that has some really nice trailer smokers.

I bought my smoker from a gentleman on this forum. He made it from scratch and I love it. It's not the prettiest thing but I get compliments on it all of the time.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker - 06/24/15 07:38 PM

Dave Klose in Houston does fantastic work but like Jambo pits, they come at a very steep premium.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker - 06/26/15 01:17 AM

I would go with Johnson if you're looking to save some coin, but still have great quality. Not because he's from Ennis. Jambo and Johnson are both customers of mine. I sell them the machinery they make their pits with. Both are real quality pit builders and really good guys. I'm actually meeting up with Johnson tomorrow and going to try and beat him down on a Compact Patio.
Posted By: hallfns

Re: BBQ guys - I need some help on a smoker - 07/04/15 10:59 PM

R&O Smokers here in Granbury fooer up some nice pits!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum