Texas Fishing Forum

Katsudon. Japanese breaded pork cutlet over rice.

Posted By: Kattelyn

Katsudon. Japanese breaded pork cutlet over rice. - 02/10/14 10:16 PM

Per request. This is one of those "Japanese home cooking" meals that is easy to make at home but you need the ingredients to make it right. Its really REALLY good, and easy to make. Especially if you already know chicken fried steak.

Going to give instructions to cook for 3 people. Generally, portions are 1 pork chop and 1 egg's worth of sauce per serving.

First, you do the pork chops..
3 boneless pork chops
Dredge in beaten egg then in 1 cup panko bread crumbs. I've found double dipping them (dip in beaten egg, then in crumbs, then back in the egg, then in the crumbs again) Makes a marvelous thick crispy crust.

Your sauce:
2 cups water
3 tablespoons mirin
4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 teaspoons dry Dashi stock powder (this is a bonito based stock and used in most japanese foods)
3 tablespoons Sake
Half an onion sliced into thin rings.

Simmer with the lid on until the onions are soft and have picked up the flavor of the broth. Beat three eggs and add to the liquid and cook just until they're set (about a minute)

Slice the pork cutlets into bite size pieces and serve over rice with a ladle of the egg and onion broth over the top with thin sliced green onions.

Not quite the best pic in the world, but mine none the less.

Posted By: Thumpmeister1

Re: Katsudon. Japanese breaded pork cutlet over rice. - 02/23/14 10:40 PM

Thanks for posting the recipe. Back in the mid sixties I consumed massive amounts of Katsudon when stationed at Misawa Air Base, Japan. It was great "street food". I don't think I ever had it in a restaurant. Always from a little pushcart and always washed down with a good Japanese beer.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Katsudon. Japanese breaded pork cutlet over rice. - 07/02/17 03:06 AM

Bumping this for Lloyd.
Posted By: Lloyd5

Re: Katsudon. Japanese breaded pork cutlet over rice. - 07/02/17 08:29 PM

That sounds damn good - I got to try that!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum