Texas Fishing Forum

Dressing recipes.

Posted By: Kattelyn

Dressing recipes. - 11/26/13 05:33 PM

Everything starts off with good cornbread. If you don't have good cornbread, you don't have good dressing. So, here's my recipe for cornbread.

1 3/4 c cornmeal
tablespoon sugar
a teaspoon each of baking soda, baking powder, salt.

Add to this 2 cups buttermilk and 2 eggs.

Preheat your oven to 450 with the cast iron skillet in it. Add in two spoonfuls bacon fat. When its heated up, pour in the cornbread batter and bake 20 minutes until golden brown.

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/26/13 05:33 PM

here's the basic dressing. Its from this base that everything else is made.

1 recipe of cornbread made the day before and cooled and torn into bits.

Saute together 1 chopped onion, 1 cup minced celery, 1 bell pepper, 1/2 c fresh parsley, a heaping spoonful minced garlic.

When the onions go clear, add 1 teaspoon each of sage and thyme. Salt and pepper.

Mix your cornbread and veggies together, add 1 1/2 to 2 cups good stock, 1 stick melted butter, and 2 large beaten eggs pat down in the pan, cover with aluminum foil, bake at 350 for 30 minutes, take off the aluminum foil and finish for 10 more minutes.

Squash stuffing = add 1/2 lb yellow squash to the veggies while you're cooking.

Mushroom stuffing = Add 1/2 lb mixed mushrooms to the veggie mix and have mushroom chicken stock.

Oyster stuffing = add 1 pint shucked oysters and use the liquor in with the stock.

I liked adding raisins to the mix. And diced sun dried tomatoes.

Another good one is to add another bell pepper to the mix, and 1 lb cooked crumbled breakfast sausage, and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper.

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/26/13 05:34 PM

Here's your basic white bread stuffing recipe. Variations are going to be made from this recipe.

1 lb day old white bread cut into 1/2" cubes French bread is best for this. You want something that's got a firm texture but some folks just like to use sandwich bread. Its fine in a pinch but french bread gives you a better mouth feel.

Saute together 1 minced onion, 1 cup minced celery, big heaping spoonful minced garlic, 1/2 c fresh parsley, teaspoon each of dried sage and thyme.
Optionally you CAN add 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon cloves. Some folks like it.. I don't as much.

Mix together the bread and the veggies and add 1 - 1 1/2 c chicken stock and 2 eggs and 1 stick melted butter. Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes until everything has set up.
----

Or you can add in 12 oz breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled to this and 1 cup diced apples fried with the veggies.

Or 1 lb of mixed wild mushrooms

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/26/13 05:34 PM

Sweet potato dressing.

Boil and mash 2 lbs sweet potatoes

Saute together 1 minced onion, 1/2 c celery, 2 cups diced apples.

Mix into the mashed sweet potatoes and add 1/2 c apple cider
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves
2 cups dry breadcrumbs
1/4 - 1/2 cup stock

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/29/13 10:48 PM

I really like the cooked, crumbled, breakfast sausage. I did it this year for the first time and it was a great touch.

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/20/14 10:47 PM

bump
Posted By: LumberKat

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/21/14 02:44 AM

Cornbread Dressing

Ingredients:
1 large chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery
3 packages of crumbed jiffy cornbread (make the day before)
6 crumbled buttermilk biscuits (make the day before)
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoons ground sage
1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
1 stick butter
32 oz chicken broth

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400° F.
1. Sauté onion and celery in 1 tablespoon of butter. Let cool.
2. Mix onion, celery, grated cornbread and biscuits, parsley flakes, poultry seasoning, sage and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add melted butter to mixture.
3. Stir until well blended.
4. Add chicken broth to dry ingredients and mix well. The dressing should have a wet but not soupy consistency like a quick bread batter (banana bread/corn bread).
5. Add mixture evenly into 9x13 baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
6. Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 400° F or until dressing is lightly brown on the top.
7. Remove from the oven, fluff with a fork, and serve.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/21/14 04:33 AM

2 pans cornbread large pans homemade or 4 pkgs mix
2 cans bisquits
1 chicken or hen cooked to be separated from bone and put in dressing
Broth from cooked chicken
1 extra can chicken broth and water until dressing is moist
1 stick butter
1 onion and 1 stalk celery-use only end half the tenderest
2eggs and sage black pepper and salt to taste
cook at 400 1 hour or until done,extra 15 minutes if you wish
Posted By: dontdoit

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/23/14 02:54 AM

Easy Squash Dressing

2 cups cooked squash
2 cups cooked cornbread
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 stick butter
1 large onion chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together and bake in buttered casserole dish for 30-40 minutes @ 400 degrees.
Recipe can be easily doubled.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/28/14 02:01 PM

The easy squash dressing is good. I make one very similar - add chopped pimentos, celery, cooked chopped chicken, and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. It makes a great meal with the chicken added.

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/17/15 02:20 AM

bump
Posted By: Banjo Lure

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/20/15 06:52 AM

yall are making me hungry grill
Posted By: swarner

Re: Dressing recipes. - 02/24/16 03:12 AM

Thanks for all of these!

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/23/16 04:01 PM

bump By request. Tis the season.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/23/16 04:30 PM

Katt, did my mama teach you to cook? We are kindred spirits in the kitchen. Try adding a little Jack Daniels to the sweet taters before cooking. Real good in Sweet Tater pie.

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/23/16 04:56 PM

I learned how to cook from my aunts... and they were born anywhere between 1906 to 1921, and they had me officially take over Thanksgiving dinner when I was 15 while everybody was still alive and able to teach me. The only thing I didn't get was Sissy's rolls. I'm still trying to get that perfect "lighter than air" crustless yeast roll. I've got regular rolls down perfect. And my kolache bread is out of this world. But the "lighter than air" dinner rolls I'm still struggling with... where they're 90% air and the remainder is just buttery goodness. Little buttery pillows.
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/23/16 06:32 PM

Wish I got my Dad's dressing recipe before he passed. He made the best.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/23/16 06:44 PM

my wife makes the best cornbread dressing with giblet gravy. nothing exotic or out of the ordinary, just mouth watering good. she's cooking the cornbread now. think i'm going to have go outside or i'll get into it.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Dressing recipes. - 12/01/16 08:52 PM

I had a bunch of dressing leftover. I had some big old crappie we caught...so I made a Cajun style dinner...warmed it I up in a pot and added a sauteed bell pepper, some Cajun seasoning, a bottle of clam juice,and some boiled shrimp...let that sit while I blackened some crappie filets on the griddle...made a batch of mixed vegetables and dirty rice...turned out great.

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/16/17 01:24 PM

Tis the season. Making this easy to find.

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/16/17 02:21 PM

Y’all try adding chopped onions and celery to your dressing cornbread mix prior to baking it. It makes for great cornbread at any time but really rocks in dressing.

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/16/17 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Y’all try adding chopped onions and celery to your dressing cornbread mix prior to baking it. It makes for great cornbread at any time but really rocks in dressing.

A little corn and some peppers doesn't hurt either.

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/16/17 02:55 PM

True! A can of chopped hatch chilis is a standard around here.

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/16/17 03:19 PM

I swear I'm going to start calling you bubba. wink I swear we were raised by the same folks cooking wise at least.

It still surprises me every once in a while when you talk about your oyster dressing. I haven't been able to make that in 15 years simply because everybody else would look at me funny for it.
Posted By: squib

Re: Dressing recipes. - 11/19/17 04:51 PM

Tamale and Jalepeno Cornboard Dressing

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/tamale-and-jalape-o-cornbread-dressing-261266

This is the best I have ever had.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum