Texas Fishing Forum

Bass/catfish ceviche

Posted By: josephwesley

Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/05/10 10:01 PM

Do bass and/or catfish make good ceviche?

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/05/10 10:41 PM

If not, what's a good fish you can catch for ceviche?
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/06/10 12:15 AM

Crappie makes really good ceviche!
Posted By: Catchin'_Lugers

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/06/10 01:48 AM

I would say no to catfish and bass!!
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/06/10 06:00 AM

Well you can try it but you might chit thru a screen door and never hit a wire. Citris acid cooking raw meat, strange.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/06/10 08:25 PM

Heck yes! Fresh filet from a Bass makes great ceviche!! Made it twice this summer. Never tried catfish, though.

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/06/10 11:41 PM

Awesome. I think I'll go with Bass. How do you all prepare it? Is there a way to cook it that it still tastes great? Any recipes online that I should check out?
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/09/10 09:26 PM

Just take a FRESH filet and cut it into small bite size pieces. Squeeze the juice of a couple of lemons onto the fish, mix and refridgerate. The fish will turn white as it "cooks" in the lemon juice. I like to add salt and a little pepper, too. I let it sit over night and then mix in some fresh pico de gallo a couple of hours before serving.
Posted By: chuck44l

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/09/10 09:57 PM

This is a very common method for cooking carp as well, I have been told that the lemon juice will also disolve the bones. Don't know for sure as i have never tried it.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/09/10 11:48 PM

I've never seen anything black bass isn't good in. They're second only ro crappie for eating.
Posted By: ToneyC

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/11/10 10:03 AM

Hey guys,

Not trying to rain on the ceviche parade (I love ceviche) but you are taking a huge risk by making it out of a fresh water fish. Freshwater fish contain bacteria and parasites that are more prolific or possibly dangerous than saltwater fish. Link

"Tapeworms are far nastier. They live in lots and lots of freshwater fish, to the point that only the foolish would even think about eating a wild trout or largemouth bass raw." Link

I would NEVER make ceviche with any kind of freshwater fish. There's a reason why you never see freshwater fish served as sashimi at sushi restaurants. I'm pretty sure "cooking" raw freshwater fish in lime or lemon juice does not kill the bacteria.

All I'm saying is be careful guys!! I wouldn't want to see anyone get unnecessarily sick! thumb
Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/12/10 08:47 PM

I have been making ceviche out of bass for many years. If I am fishing and catch one that takes the hook deep, I throw it in the live well and it is on its way to swim in lime juice!!!
Posted By: PROLINE19

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/13/10 04:32 PM

I make my ceviche out of stripers. make sure you trim all red meat off. yummmy cheers

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/14/10 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: ToneyC
Hey guys,

Not trying to rain on the ceviche parade (I love ceviche) but you are taking a huge risk by making it out of a fresh water fish. Freshwater fish contain bacteria and parasites that are more prolific or possibly dangerous than saltwater fish. Link

"Tapeworms are far nastier. They live in lots and lots of freshwater fish, to the point that only the foolish would even think about eating a wild trout or largemouth bass raw." Link

I would NEVER make ceviche with any kind of freshwater fish. There's a reason why you never see freshwater fish served as sashimi at sushi restaurants. I'm pretty sure "cooking" raw freshwater fish in lime or lemon juice does not kill the bacteria.

All I'm saying is be careful guys!! I wouldn't want to see anyone get unnecessarily sick! thumb

+1
Posted By: fwbret/txfishes

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/16/10 06:56 PM

google:

Dioctophyme renale

There are plenty more, but this should be enough to get you started.

All it takes is a single parasitology class in college to keep you away from this idea.

Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/16/10 09:18 PM

Stick to marine fish for ceviche. Parasites are no fun.
Posted By: Starless

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/20/10 12:46 AM

Everything makes good ceviche lol.
Posted By: fwbret/txfishes

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/20/10 02:35 PM

Tapeworm, It's What's for Dinner
Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/20/10 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: chuck44l
This is a very common method for cooking carp as well, I have been told that the lemon juice will also disolve the bones. Don't know for sure as i have never tried it.

Well, I have had some carp ceviche marinating in lemon juice for 8 hours now....so I will try it and see if the bones are dissolved!

Looks good...lessee how it tastes........Mmmmmmmm.....kinda chewy at first.....unghhhh! I thinng I hitth uhh boann...or somet...."HARK!"....."COUGH!"......"WHEEZE!"............... "CHOKE!"................." HACKA-HACKA-HACKA-CHOKE-WHEEZE-HACKA-HARK-WHEEZE! ...................... "PATOOIE!

Whew! That was close! Don't believe all that you hear! grin eeks bouncy
Posted By: RaThEr_Be_FiShIn

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/21/10 01:23 PM

NASTY JUST NASTY.....I THINK I THREW UP IN MY MOUTH

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 08/21/10 03:02 PM

Doof
Posted By: Craig K

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 11/17/10 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: PROLINE19
I make my ceviche out of stripers. make sure you trim all red meat off. yummmy cheers

Stiper would be the best freshwater fish. Bass would be good but never tried it. The firmer the meat the better.

To those who have tried crappie: Does the meat break apart too much?
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 12/12/10 12:16 AM

I have seen a small yellow worm in bass flesh many times. I called the TPW and they didn't tell me what it was but said it is all safe if you fry it.I will not be eating raw bass or anything else in fresh water.
Posted By: wpedigo

Re: Bass/catfish ceviche - 12/18/10 12:09 PM

I've never used freshwater fish. Bass might be OK. I can't imagine crappie not falling apart. IMO stripper would be better because of it's coarse grain. Saltwater fish anyway.

I always drop my fish and shrimp in boiling water and cook until it changes color. Cook separately. Cool and place in zip lock bag with fresh key lime juice. Careful not to get any pulp in it. Let chill and mix with pico de gallo. I always add a jar of pimentos and top with avocado.

Do not stir. Fold together so fish does not fall apart. Been doing it that way 20 years and never had a complaint. You can't tell any difference.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum