Texas Fishing Forum

Grilling Red Fish

Posted By: Woodpecker (Jim)

Grilling Red Fish - 05/13/10 07:02 PM

I grilled some redfish a while back and it was great. Does anyone have a reciepe for ingredients to put on the slabs. I fileted them and left the skin and scales on one side.
Posted By: RHO

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 05/13/10 07:35 PM

i grilled Hybrids on Saturday - left the scales on one side ..... meat side I covered in olive oil and used cajun seasoning - it was really good!
Posted By: searay

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 05/14/10 09:43 PM

I make a tin foil pouch and put the filets in then add zucchini, squash.onions, bell peppers butter and a couple of pounds of shirmp and throw it on the grill
Posted By: Craig K

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 05/15/10 04:25 AM

I'd put them on the grill skin side down, brush with melted butter mixed with minced fresh garlic. Some fresh chopped cilantro, squeeze of lemon, and your favorite seasoning.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 05/15/10 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Woodpecker
I grilled some redfish a while back and it was great. Does anyone have a reciepe for ingredients to put on the slabs. I fileted them and left the skin and scales on one side.

It's my favorite way to cook a fish. I don't think what you put on the slab is important, except paprika for the coloring. I use cheap chili powder instead of paprika. I spray both sides with WM butter flavored non stick spray.

The flavor comes from the dipping butter. I put tabasco, lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt into the butter before I melt in in the microwave.
Posted By: Catchin'_Lugers

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 06/06/10 01:28 AM

Skin on, Blackening Seasoning, Olive oil, a little garlic powder to taste. AND PLUS ONE ON THE DIPPING BUTTER
Posted By: RaThEr_Be_FiShIn

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 06/06/10 04:39 PM

red fish on the half shell

- blackening seasoning
- melted butter all over the fish before you put it on the grill
- hot gril

=goodness

dont forget the mango salsa

mangos, red onion, cherry tomatoes, jalepeno, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper
Posted By: Leever

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 06/07/10 05:51 PM

I would definitely go skin on. Keep it simple, melted butter and fresh lemon on the top.
Posted By: Saltwater Freek

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 06/09/10 07:18 PM

I agree with everyone about leaving the scales on. It keeps the juices in. Not sure if you guys use this seasoning, but "Slap yo Momma" cajun seasoning from Louisiana is probably the best thing that I use. Sprinkle a little bit on the fish along with tobasco sauce and butter. food
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 06/15/10 09:19 PM

use any spice you would use on a steak
we all have favorites and they change from person to person
I also think you can't go worng with orange, lime or lemon juice as well
Posted By: spiny norman

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 06/15/10 10:31 PM

On the halfshell with butter, fresh garlic and a bit of Old Bay Seasoning.
Posted By: Colby

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 07/28/10 03:25 AM

I've had Teriyaki Grilled Redfish...Talk about make your tounge slap your brains out.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 08/01/10 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Catchin'_Lugers
Skin on, Blackening Seasoning, Olive oil, a little garlic powder to taste. AND PLUS ONE ON THE DIPPING BUTTER

you can do most all fish like this. + a little cajun seasoning = awesome
Posted By: clarajames

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 08/02/10 10:35 AM

I am crazy fish lover and i really like your recipe.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 04/14/15 09:28 PM

bump
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 04/23/15 05:47 PM

On half shell. I like to put melted butter on fillet and then do a little cajun seasoning and some Hidden Valley ranch mix (the powder to mix) then put some French's fried onions on top and grill
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 04/23/15 08:25 PM

Coconut rum, fresh, chopped garlic and ginger root, fresh rosemary, lime juice, safflower oil and coarse ground black pepper. Marinate in ziploc overnight and grill on the half-shell.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 05/19/15 09:32 AM

Put Tonys or whatever seasoning you prefer on the meat. Then give it a good coat of real mayo. Top it with canned artichoke hearts and capers. I actually like to pour the juice from the artichoke hearts on the meat before the mayo. This is on the half shell with scales on
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 05/20/15 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Craig K
I'd put them on the grill skin side down, brush with melted butter mixed with minced fresh garlic. Some fresh chopped cilantro, squeeze of lemon, and your favorite seasoning.

YES! just enough seasoning so you can still taste the fish.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 05/20/15 12:24 PM

I grill catfish fillets using a blackened fish spice and Capt. Bill's Cajun mix. I bought a cast iron griddle at Academy that works great. A little olive oil and high heat. You do want to do this outside!
Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 05/22/15 06:13 PM

All you need is some lemons and a seasoning you like. Leave the skins on and bake them until done, works amazingly. It also makes whiting worthwhile. The meat falls right off the bone. And the skin too.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 05/24/15 12:32 AM

Sounds good.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 05/25/15 02:07 AM

Grilled half shells are great with just about everything in the spice rack, dill, garlic, black pepper and some of the brine from jalapenos in the can work out very well.
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Grilling Red Fish - 05/25/15 02:04 PM

I grill a ton of redfish. I've tried it a bunch of ways and one of my favorites is this: season the fish with cajun seasoning, take 4-5 pads of butter and place them down the middle from tail to head. Take thinly sliced tomato and cover the pads of butter, slightly over lapping each slice. Lightly season the tomatoes with more cajun seasoning. Grill scale side down and once fish is almost done the squeeze a lemon over the fish and cook for a few more minutes. I think this is a version of OldFrog's redfish recipe and it's the best way to grill redfish. Blackening and baking is another story.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum