Texas Fishing Forum

Keeping fish on ice

Posted By: Tommar

Keeping fish on ice - 04/11/18 01:42 AM

How long can fish be kept on ice before cleaning? Do you slit the gills and bleed them out?
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/11/18 02:42 AM

i don't know how long, but i usually don't clean my night fish untill the next day when i get up. sometimes that's around noon. 12 hrs is ok, but i'd be real careful after that.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/11/18 03:09 PM

Kept trout for two days on ice and they were fine...I did keep them in a plastic bag
Slitting gills will help clean up the meat but it makes a mess in the cooler...
Posted By: HumanSeine

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/12/18 02:46 PM

i have only let uncleaned fish stay in my cooler overnight. Never cut them or anything and they were good for food.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/12/18 06:05 PM

Thanks guys. Fish were fine.

FYI some guys in the OT said they have up to 48 hours.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/12/18 07:31 PM

I have kept fish on ice with rock salt on top for up to 4 days. In fact, the fish were partially frozen when I got home. Just keep the water drained off.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/12/18 11:30 PM

Just don't let them float in ice water. Be OK for a couple days. No bleeding. But that depends on what species of fish ya got on ice.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/13/18 03:56 AM

If you got a yeti or other really good cooler, you can leave them for 3 days, if they are packed well and it is not too hot during the day time...put the cooler in a shady spot, and open the drain plug occasionally, to prevent water build up...as long as you don’t get excessive water from the drain hole, forget opening the lid to look at them or the ice...ideally, you just leave them on ice for 12 hours, which will make filleting easier.

If the weather is hot and the lake water warm, put your catch directly into an ice chest, instead of the live well...the result will be better tasting fish...hope this info helps
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/15/18 01:15 AM

I've kept catfish up to 4 days on ice before no problems
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/15/18 10:27 AM

My friend in the restaurant business said catfish fully packed on ice are safe for 3 days. I don't understand anyone not filleting fish the day they are caught. Safer quicker and get it over with.
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/15/18 01:04 PM

Agree with Jackie. If I can't fillet them right away, I don't keep them.
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/15/18 04:51 PM

The reason I fillet them after on the ice is because I don't like to clean fish alive and I would rather clean the fish all at once instead of cleaning fish multiple times during a camping trip
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/15/18 11:11 PM

Spoilage originates in the innards and gills. Gut and gill the fish, and they'll stay good for a long time. I've kept them in baggies and on ice for a week or more, and they were still good. Another thing you want to do is rinse out the body cavity after cleaning.
Posted By: Mac817

Re: Keeping fish on ice - 04/30/18 05:10 AM

I have a problem when their gills are light pink or white.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum