Texas Fishing Forum

My first attempt at seafood stew/chowder,........

Posted By: Ojai Angler

My first attempt at seafood stew/chowder,........ - 03/20/18 02:04 PM

I kept thinking about a fish ( soup )?, I used to get at a Japanese restaurant in California.
I've never seen anything like it since, so I just winged it and made my own.

cream base (half & half), Snapper, Atlantic Cod, Shrimp, Lump Crab, Scallops, and small oysters, with scallions and Cajun seasoning.

OMG !!!! very good !!
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: My first attempt at seafood stew/chowder,........ - 03/20/18 09:59 PM

That looks good. Did you get REAL scallops or chunks of a Stingray. A little New Potatoes and whole kernel corn would have been nice too. I ate a lot of that stuff in N.Carolina when I lived near the coast. I forgot Clams too.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: My first attempt at seafood stew/chowder,........ - 03/20/18 10:18 PM

It looks great like it is. It doesn't need anything else.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: My first attempt at seafood stew/chowder,........ - 03/21/18 02:06 AM

sounds like a courtbullion or fish stew. delicious!
Posted By: Ojai Angler

Re: My first attempt at seafood stew/chowder,........ - 03/21/18 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: V-Bottom
That looks good. Did you get REAL scallops or chunks of a Stingray. A little New Potatoes and whole kernel corn would have been nice too. I ate a lot of that stuff in N.Carolina when I lived near the coast. I forgot Clams too.

Well, at $22.95 a lb., I hope they were real, I think next time I would leave the scallops out as they didn't seem to take on any of the seasoning flavor, and the only clams I could find are frozen ones that are about the size of a nickel when you thaw and open the shells.

I might add mussels and another type of fish, but the ingredients for that pot was around $100.00 so I didn't want to add any starchy potatoes.
Posted By: 1Fisher77316

Re: My first attempt at seafood stew/chowder,........ - 03/30/18 11:02 PM

We make a basic potato soup as the base for our seafood soup. We add a can of minced clams in ours and it works well. After reading some ideas here on TFF we also use a can of shrimp soup. That really adds to the flavor. Of course whatever fish fillets we have available and usually a pound or so of shrimp. I try to avoid it but my wife really likes me to add mushrooms as well. Your looks delicious!
Tight lines and Good Cooking!
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: My first attempt at seafood stew/chowder,........ - 04/04/18 12:24 PM

TFF Check this one out. Great recipe.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum