Texas Fishing Forum

Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area?

Posted By: Gamblinman

Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/13/18 04:28 PM

I'll be near the coast next week and wondering if there is fresh shrimp off the boat available in the Port Aransas - Rockport area? Have a better idea?
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/13/18 05:28 PM

Call some Local Bait Camps...they may have some on ice. Prices vary depending on the size of shrimp your looking for.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/13/18 08:04 PM

Mom's is open, and Aransas Bay Bait Company has live shrimp if you're looking for bait. If you're wanting eating seafood, you want Alby's.

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/13/18 09:12 PM

To consume...sorry, should have been more specific. I want to bring 5 to 10 lbs. of Jumbo shrimp home.

Thank you both!

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/13/18 09:18 PM

Then you definitely want Alby's there in Rockport.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/14/18 06:48 PM

Dumb question can you freeze fresh shrimp?

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/15/18 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: snake oil

Yes..it freezes well. Freeze just like fish..in bag with water covering.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/15/18 07:19 AM

Thanks..
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/15/18 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: snake oil

I suggest to get a vacuums sealer, Costco has a pretty good one and they run it on sale with a rebate from time to time.

No water needed then, and tends to retain more of it's flavor. They say most of flavor is in the head if you cook with it.

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/15/18 11:22 AM

In the D/FW area most of the Asian Grocery stores will have Wild Caught Texas Shrimp for sale most of the time for about $6.99 per lb, make sure you get the wild and not farm raised.

Night and day difference in taste as well.
Posted By: horton5303

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/15/18 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
In the D/FW area most of the Asian Grocery stores will have Wild Caught Texas Shrimp for sale most of the time for about $6.99 per lb, make sure you get the wild and not farm raised.

I dont trust those places at all.

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/16/18 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: horton5303
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

I dont trust those places at all.

I have been shopping at them for years, I get some of the best tasting shrimp from there. I can't eat what is farm raised now of days, taste too bland and dull. Only similar shrimp I have found is at market street and it is double the price of Asian Stores.

They have a pretty good selection of fish as well, they even sell black bass. Overall the quality is very good and the price is very competitive. There vegetable sections are fairly impressive as well.

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/21/18 11:12 PM

Just a quick Thank you to everyone for your advise. I stopped at Alby's in Rockport and loaded up with fresh Jumbo Gulf Shrimp. It is excellent.

If you want shrimp in the Rockport/Fulton area, these are the folks to see!!

Another good job by TFF members directing another member in the right direction!
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/22/18 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Just a quick Thank you to everyone for your advise. I stopped at Alby's in Rockport and loaded up with fresh Jumbo Gulf Shrimp. It is excellent.

If you want shrimp in the Rockport/Fulton area, these are the folks to see!!

Another good job by TFF members directing another member in the right direction!
I should have sent money with you. Next time maybe.

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/22/18 02:41 AM

[quote] I should have sent money with you. Next time maybe.[quote]

Sorry you missed out. I would have gladly brought some back, then again, I had no idea of the quality I was going to find until I saw them. I made a big batch of Shrimp creole today and it was delicious. I froze 5 containers.

Big shout out to Kattelyn for the information.

Posted By: Ojai Angler

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/22/18 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Kattelyn
Mom's is open, and Aransas Bay Bait Company has live shrimp if you're looking for bait. If you're wanting eating seafood, you want Alby's.

Hi,
Other than maybe cleanliness, can you share what difference you would think there would be between live bait shrimp and live shrimp for consuming?

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/22/18 12:34 PM

Most bait shrimp has already been frozen. I'm going to guess that a lot of the culinary shrimp become bait shrimp when it gets old.

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/22/18 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Most bait shrimp has already been frozen. I'm going to guess that a lot of the culinary shrimp become bait shrimp when it gets old.

Um, bait shrimp is live and kicking. wink

Mostly size. We like to eat larger shrimp but the bait stores sell that same shrimp to restaurants.

Re: Can I get fresh shrimp this time of year - Aransas- Rockport area? - 03/22/18 08:12 PM

LOL..I'm a freshwater fisherman. My ignorance shines.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum