Texas Fishing Forum

What Cut of Meat Help....

Posted By: V-Bottom

What Cut of Meat Help.... - 11/30/17 09:52 PM

Getting ready to make me some Beef Jerky. I have been researching different cuts of meat. i.e. Eye of Round, Flank Steak etc. but I need to know what ya'lls Go - To cut is. Being a rookie at this, I could use the input. Whatever cut I use, I would like the butcher cut it to a 1/4" minimum.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: What Cut of Meat Help.... - 11/30/17 10:03 PM

Eye of round. You want the leanest cut you can find.

Re: What Cut of Meat Help.... - 11/30/17 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Kattelyn
Eye of round. You want the leanest cut you can find.

That's what I figured. Any FAT content will make the jerky Spoil
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: What Cut of Meat Help.... - 11/30/17 11:32 PM

Make sure it is cut with the grain, not across the grain.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: What Cut of Meat Help.... - 12/01/17 03:35 AM

eye of round but you want to soak it in a brine over night with the pink salt unless you plan on eating it with in 2 weeks. it will mold even in airless environment if not.

Re: What Cut of Meat Help.... - 12/01/17 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: scruboak
eye of round but you want to soak it in a brine over night with the pink salt unless you plan on eating it with in 2 weeks. it will mold even in airless environment if not.

Thanx...something I have to research for sure.
Posted By: Flymeister

Re: What Cut of Meat Help.... - 12/01/17 04:11 PM

My butcher puts the eye of round in the freezer for a few hours then slices it at a 15 cut. I use this https://www.himtnjerky.com/jerky-cure-and-seasoning-kits/. Never has failed me or spoiled. I like the black pepper/garlic the best. But all are good. I smoke mine in my Pit Barrel Cooker www.pitbarrelcooker.com.

Re: What Cut of Meat Help.... - 12/01/17 08:55 PM

After the meat is cut to thickness, 1/4", how many of you pound it with a meat hammer to tenderize?
Posted By: karstopo

Re: What Cut of Meat Help.... - 12/02/17 04:32 AM

I like eye of round or just about any venison. I don’t pound either. I’ve done with or across the grain. With the grain turns out with a little tougher, but that’s not a really bad thing in jerky. For more tender jerky, cut across the grain. The himtnjerky cure is good, but measure pretty carefully.

I take the frozen meat out of the freezer and thaw in fridge then cut with sharp thin knife when it’s semi frozen. I shoot for a little thinner than 1/4 inch, more like an 1/8. Dries in the dehydrator faster and we just like it thinner. I store my finished jerky in fridge.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: What Cut of Meat Help.... - 12/04/17 02:26 AM

I use sirloin steak or round steak. Cut 1/4 inch thick and smoke for a couple of hours after marinating overnight in soy sauce with some wooster and liquid smoke. After smoking, I season with Greek Seasoning and some pepper and put it on a dehydrator for several hours.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum