Texas Fishing Forum

Steering

Posted By: Bobby Milam

Steering - 10/15/17 12:06 AM

I have a '94 mercury 115. It is getting hard to turn. I recently greased it and it improved for awhile but is getting very stiff again. I'm sure it is time to replace the cables but am thinking about going to hydraulic steering instead. What are some good brands to look at? Price would be an issue so looking to see what I might be able to get into at a decent price since my motor is on the smaller size and which to stay away from
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Steering - 10/15/17 12:39 AM

I would go with Sea Star. I know the Bay Star is rated for it and is cheaper, but once you experience a bypass in a turn, you will feel like I do. I will never forget that day!
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Steering - 10/15/17 12:41 AM

Disconnect the steering cables from the motor and turn the wheel. If it's smooth, your cables are fine. Before i plunked down a chunk of change for new steering, I would pull the shaft out of the tilt tube and clean it up. Use a shotgun bore brush and mop with solvent on the tilt tube until patches come out clean. Then use light oil on the shaft and go back to greasing the zerks
I had the same issuer with a Yamaha and finally figured out that by forcing grease in the zerks I was just adding to the already impacted grease and other trash. It went from hard to steer to smooth as butter.

Re: Steering - 10/15/17 01:16 PM

Ok I'll try it. I cleaned them a little but not thorough when I pulled the motor recently. The wheel was turning fine when disconnected from the motor. I just know now I am really having to crank hard on the steering to navigate at slow speeds and it is getting old fast
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Steering - 10/15/17 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
The wheel was turning fine when disconnected from the motor.

Then you definitely have a gunked up tilt tube.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Steering - 10/15/17 02:53 PM

Uflex.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Steering - 10/15/17 03:17 PM

Never ever put grease on steering cables. It will always dry out and pack in the tube. Lithium silicone penetrating oil anything but grease.

Re: Steering - 10/15/17 10:38 PM

Ok will clean it out and use some lithium silicone. Thanks.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Steering - 10/17/17 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
Never ever put grease on steering cables. It will always dry out and pack in the tube. Lithium silicone penetrating oil anything but grease.
+1, I used silicone and kept the rods clean. I learned long ago that those grease fittings they sell to replace the nut on the end of the steering tube should be outlawed.
Posted By: TripletsFish

Re: Steering - 12/03/17 05:56 PM

Cable on my '99 Mercury 150hp EFI broke yesterday at 45mph. We banked hard right and did a 360. It scared the [censored] out of the high school boys riding with me. How difficult is it to replace?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum