Texas Fishing Forum

Hot Foot Question?

Posted By: scada1

Hot Foot Question? - 09/09/17 03:43 AM

SO it has been a while, but baseball is winding down and I have another boat that is used, but new to me. Long story short is it has a hot foot. Never had one of these before and not real sure I like it. Couple of questions. 1. What is the benefit of this other than possibly keeping both hands on the wheel? 2. How hard is it to get rid of it and put it back to normal? Cost, etc?

It may be that just not used to it, but it seems like it is a real pain to me. I am not really trying to go run all out all the time anyway.

Thanks
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Hot Foot Question? - 09/09/17 04:32 AM

A lot of guys will say that a hot foot makes a boat safer, but I have never understood that argument unless you aren't wearing the kill switch lanyard and stayed throttled without the hot foot in the case of falling out of the boat. My previous boat, a 97 skeeter had a hot foot and I couldn't get used to it so I removed it. It was pretty simple I thought. Just have to disconnect the hot foot cable and re-install a new throttle cable for the normal hand throttle. I know a few guys that left the hot foot cable there to hook up later if needed/wanted. I bought the Quicksilver throttle/shifter cable package so I had a spare shifter cable and it was about $70. My FX20 came with a hot foot as well and I still would prefer hand throttle. I feel much more in control in rough water when my hand is on the throttle. With the hotfoot I always feel like I am going to hammer down accidentally when hitting a good wave.
Posted By: TLW

Re: Hot Foot Question? - 09/09/17 08:30 AM

"before" all tha 70+ mph and hyd. steering of todays stuff became tha norm it was a lot "safer" on the normal dual cable, big motored hot rods.... still is on tha really fast boats, hyd. or cable steerin'.... a lot can happen ina very short period at 70/80+.. even in "good" water... jmo.
Posted By: scada1

Re: Hot Foot Question? - 09/09/17 05:26 PM

FX That is how I feel. Just different and I am not going that fast anyway. My boat might go mid 50s and that is plenty. Wanting to go fishing not lake cruising and seems a normal throttle would be easier to navigate. Especially in timber.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Hot Foot Question? - 09/12/17 01:05 PM

Hot foots are the way to go with fast light boats. I wouldn't dare drive my Blazer without one. Much quicker throttle response either way, and when going through the chine walk, you NEED both hands on the wheel with blinker trim. Much safer. Now... on your boat only going 50... I still think they are much safer, can let off quick and ease in and out of throttle in rough water, but.. you could probably get away with going back to normal and be alright. It is very easy to change back. Hot foots also save your shift box from more wear and tear. Personally... I'd keep your hotfoot. It is weird at first, but you will get used to it. Then it's like driving a car.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Hot Foot Question? - 09/12/17 01:40 PM

My current boat has one. I disconnected it and reconnected the control box throttle cable. I hate the thing. Makes my foot and leg cramp. It ain't a race boat and I ain't racing. One of these days I may remove the whole thing and sell it for cheap since the pedal is just in my way.
Posted By: jackwabbit

Re: Hot Foot Question? - 09/13/17 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
My current boat has one. I disconnected it and reconnected the control box throttle cable. I hate the thing. Makes my foot and leg cramp. It ain't a race boat and I ain't racing. One of these days I may remove the whole thing and sell it for cheap since the pedal is just in my way.

If you do PM me
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum