Texas Fishing Forum

Replacing a Tank.......

Posted By: V-Bottom

Replacing a Tank....... - 09/03/17 10:56 PM

It's been on mind for a while to ask this, so hear goes. I have a Wellcraft CC, 20', that has a 50 gallon fuel tank below deck. It's a Poly tank. Since I spent a lot of money getting the fuel system repaired, tank to and including the engine...because of bad gas/water etc. I want to ask if anyone has ever had their fuel tank like this replaced? The only way to do this is cut the darn deck up.My deck is not bare as I have has Safe Floor installed long ago. What am I up against here...cost to replaced or have the tank cleaned If possible? ed
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Replacing a Tank....... - 09/04/17 04:24 AM

I have a wellcraft also. I would think you would have a tough time getting the section glassed back in. And I think you would always have problems with stress cracking etc. no way would I do that. I would buy a gallon of semi truck air line alcohol to pour in it after pumping everything out I could get. The alcohol will bond with the water. Then pump it out as much as possible. Mine has a fuel gauge sending unit under the access panel under the console footrest. Maybe remove the sending unit, lower the trailer jack so fluids run to the front of the tank, and swab out any remaining water and alcohol. Then fill with good non ethanol gas and star tron fuel conditioner. None of us like to think about it but we all get small amounts of water in our gas at times. Condensation is always present to a degree. Our outboards are built to burn minute particles along with the gas mixture. Just not ounces at a time. Good luck.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Replacing a Tank....... - 09/04/17 09:51 AM

how bout just add water separator filter inline.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Replacing a Tank....... - 09/04/17 01:13 PM

I thought everyone had a water seperator. If he got a lot of water in the tank it needs removed first. The water seperator will clog up quick if not.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Replacing a Tank....... - 09/04/17 01:17 PM

how bout just add water separator filter inline. Second this, with a big filter with a water drain.

Re: Replacing a Tank....... - 09/04/17 02:55 PM

#1.....I've had a fuel water separator from Day 1. I have changed many filters since Day 1. It was just a few months ago, I changed out the old mount with a new one and the filter. I have taken the access cover off, put a new sending unit in the tank and pumped out all the gas I could. BTW....I use Star Tron too. After I had my sled rewired and got all that nasty factory garbage out of there...I took the boat to Finish Line Marine and had the fuel system completely reworked. Next, I put 3-4 gallons of good gas back in the tank , sloshed it around over bumpy roads and drained that out as much as possible. As it stands now have a new potable 13 gallon aluminum tank with E-Free gas in it.
What bothers me,is not knowing if any sludge / or goo is stuck to the inside of the tank just waiting to dissolve into new gas and then run my Merc off that tank again. Does anyone here run an inline fuel filter between the tank and the water/fuel separator?
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Replacing a Tank....... - 09/05/17 11:48 AM

If you have a good water/water separator, you don't need another fuel filter. They remove water and debris. A 10 micron Racor is all you need.

Re: Replacing a Tank....... - 09/05/17 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
If you have a good water/water separator, you don't need another fuel filter. They remove water and debris. A 10 micron Racor is all you need.

It's a good one Bob..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum