Texas Fishing Forum

75 hp etec prop question

Posted By: plk1122

75 hp etec prop question - 09/01/17 07:53 PM

Hey folks,

I currently have a stock aluminum 14x17 prop (part 177131). My max rpm is 5100 and i think i go ~34mph (gps) on 1860 cc boat.

I would like to get another prop, Number 1 for a back up, Number 2 to maybe get a better performance, go faster, prevent boat form porpoising. Props are very confusing and from what i gather its kind of a pick one, try it out and if its not good then pick another one. The rpm range is pretty good with the 14x17 prop so I think its good to stick with that but they make all different kinds of and manufactures of props. Anyone have an suggestions? Is cupping a good thing on a prop?
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: 75 hp etec prop question - 09/03/17 02:03 AM

Call Josh over at Steve's Custom Props in Quitman. He'll shoot you straight. He helped me setup my rig and predicted the result of every change we made.

As you might already know, weight distribution makes a big difference as well. My XP1860 porpoised horribly until I moved the two TM batteries under the center console, it helped a lot but still porpoised. Jackplate, then a new prop, and she's doing about all I could expect her to now.

Yours have a jackplate on it? If not, I'd consider that before a prop.
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: 75 hp etec prop question - 09/08/17 12:54 PM

If everything is set up properly on the motor then you definitely need a smaller pitch prop. 13" or 15". That motor needs to turn up higher rpms.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum