Texas Fishing Forum

Cleaning the bilge?

Posted By: crankbait745

Cleaning the bilge? - 08/27/17 01:50 AM

Thought about putting dawn soap in the bilge area of my Jon boat with a couple gallons of water. Do you think it will clean the bilge as I drive down the road to the lake? Never tried it, just wondering. Thanks
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Cleaning the bilge? - 08/27/17 04:42 AM

May turn into a bubble bath by the time you get there. I doubt it'll will do anything without adding a little elbow grease.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Cleaning the bilge? - 08/27/17 12:58 PM

Yes, it will clean the bilge. I used to do that when I loaded up to go home from the lake. Got home drain and rinse and the bilge was spotless. But with the "clean and dry" rules, it could get you a conversation with a game warden now.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Cleaning the bilge? - 08/27/17 06:49 PM

I was going to put it in on the way to the lake and then rinse it out at the carwash.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Cleaning the bilge? - 08/27/17 09:32 PM

I did this in my Blazer. Filled boat with water and dawn, drove around the block a few times. It sure helped.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Cleaning the bilge? - 08/28/17 12:16 AM

I get the Dish washer little packs and put 1 or 2. Less bubbles and works great.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Cleaning the bilge? - 08/28/17 02:01 PM

It works great. I've done exactly that for years. Not so much anymore as i premix now. When i had oil tank in bilge area, inevitably, some oil WAS spilled while filling tank sooner or later. I put plug in, added detergent & Mean Green & about 3" of water,( dont overload as water is 8.33 lbs per gallon. About 50 gallons willl do. Drive around, stopping fairly hard. It sloshes all the way to the front. You'd be surprised at what washes out( plastics,nuts ,washers,etc etc. & all oil,grease etc.. When you pull the plug you'll need to keep unstopping the drain from all the debris that will be coming out usually. Then it'll be clean as a whistle. Maybe two or three times if it's really bad. I like the dishwasher packets idea also.
Posted By: RANGER SKI

Re: Cleaning the bilge? - 08/28/17 02:16 PM

I put a bar of ivory soap in bilge. after a couple of months I just add another one.
Posted By: Royce Sanders jr

Re: Cleaning the bilge? - 08/28/17 02:21 PM

I've also done the bar soap, put it back there no worries.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Cleaning the bilge? - 08/28/17 02:42 PM

NO soap! It is not a pretty sight when it continues ot make bubbles over and over. Get a 5 gallon bucket of water and mix with bleach. Mixing ratios are on the bleach. I pour mine in at the anchor well or what ever forward hatch to the bilge you have so that it runs all the ways trough. Have the plugs in so that the bleach can sit a while and kill off any growth. After a few hours I drain it and let it dry thoroughly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum