Texas Fishing Forum

Lower unit

Posted By: logan.chadwell

Lower unit - 08/20/17 04:04 AM

Just got my first boat when we stored it and put the trim down oil drops out of the lower unit. Can you help me out what is the problem?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Lower unit - 08/20/17 12:17 PM

Compare the drip with the lower oil. Johnsons and Evinrudes are known for dripping residual oil mixed with gas when stored.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Lower unit - 08/21/17 07:25 PM

You have to determine if it is LU gear oil or just residual fuel/oil mix. Remove the LU drain plug and let a little out and check the color. If its a uniform oily color no water has entered the case. If it is a milky/frothy color water has entered and the seals need to be replaced. Oil can still seep out without water entering the case. Remove the prop and leave the motor tilted down with a bucket, cardboard or something clean underneath for a couple days. You should be able to tell if it's gear oil or residual un-burnt fuel/oil mix.

Option 2 is to take it to a shop and have them do a pressure test of the lower unit. Test and simple seal replacement should be around $150-$200.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Lower unit - 08/22/17 02:50 AM

Smell it..gas and oil smell like gas. Gear or trim fluid stinks.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Lower unit - 08/22/17 04:49 AM

My oil reservoir is on my motor and it is notorious for leaky lid seal. If I fill mine and tilt it forward oil will leak out, come out bottom of motor and run down the shaft. Scared me when I first saw it. Now I know never fill more than 3/4. Might be something simple. To check the lower unit, loosen the bottom screw until oil starts to run out. If it has been sitting water will separate and be the first thing to come out. If it has been run lately and it hasn't been separated, it will come out milky.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Lower unit - 08/22/17 12:35 PM

my 150 does that from under cowl all the way down but its old like me ..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum