Texas Fishing Forum

What think ye?

Posted By: E White

What think ye? - 08/15/17 12:39 PM

I'm looking at the 2018 TRACKER® Pro Guide™ V-175 SC, going to put the 115 on it and wanted the high sides for safety in high winds on big lakes. I'll be doing a lot of open water fishing and wanted to be able to handle it like a larger center console boat but don't want to spend the money for a larger boat.

Does anyone have one that can comment on this?

Thanks
Posted By: Cast

Re: What think ye? - 08/15/17 01:33 PM

Oh man, a 17 1/2' boat is not a big boat on Texas lakes. I ran a 17 1/2' bass boat with a Merc 225 on it and it could take a beating, which it did pretty regular. Think BIG. I'd go again with a 21' CC but no less on open water.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: What think ye? - 08/15/17 01:47 PM

It is a very small boat. Great on really flat windless days or if you are going to fish smaller lakes or close to shore. It is low to the water and with even a mild 5-7 mph wind, you can wash some water onboard. When you say "open water" that means you need a boat that has more of a center console style to it with a higher edge and won't take on water. Look at a used center console.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: What think ye? - 08/15/17 10:46 PM

Rally rough water like you get on Texoma and Raybob will eventually beat the tracker aluminum boats to pieces. They are cheap for a reason.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: What think ye? - 08/17/17 01:58 AM

get biggest you can afford new or used ..
Posted By: CatchNReleaseIntoHotGrease

Re: What think ye? - 08/17/17 08:25 PM

I have the little baby brother to that boat. I have a 2003 Tracker Pro Deep V16 with walk through windshield. I have a scrappy little 50 hp merc that tops off at a raging fast 28 miles per hour on a very calm day. LOL!!!! I fish Grapevine Lake which for the most part is choppy due to wind or other boaters. I get thrown around like a wet noodle, but I never take on water. I'm sure if I hit Texoma maybe a different story. (:-) The deep v hulls on those trackers can really cut through the waves so I believe that 17 foot deep hull would be better than a 18-20 bass boat in my humble inexperienced opinion.

My friend had an 18 foot Tracker Targa back in day and that had a 150 I believe. That thing was fantastic on big water in Michigan. It still boils down to what you can afford. I just wish I wouldn't have skimped on my 16 and got an 18 instead.

Good luck on your purchase and hopefully you find something functional within your budget. But I think you will find the 18 more adequate that the 17 at minimum in the Tracker models for your needs.

Re: What think ye? - 08/28/17 06:17 PM

Maybe I forgot to mention this is a deep v-hull boat.

Will it set up high enough to take on some of the rougher lakes like Texoma or Tawakoni <sp>.

I've looked at CC boats and they all seem to be out of my price range. I'm really not interested in a CC or a walk through wind shield.

Again thanks!
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: What think ye? - 08/28/17 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: E White
Maybe I forgot to mention this is a deep v-hull boat.

Will it set up high enough to take on some of the rougher lakes like Texoma or Tawakoni <sp>.

I've looked at CC boats and they all seem to be out of my price range. I'm really not interested in a CC with a walk through wind shield.

Again thanks!

If you find a CC with a walk thru windshield please post a picture.

Re: What think ye? - 09/05/17 01:19 PM

I agree it would be an anomaly. I meant to say a CC or with a walk through.

Thanks for pointing that out!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum