Texas Fishing Forum

what size fuse?

Posted By: smooth move

what size fuse? - 08/09/17 10:49 PM

i have a 30 amp? fuse as a main fuse coming off the battery to the main fuse block under the console. when i'm working on the electrics, i keep blowing it. not during regular use of the boat, just when working on it. should i go bigger? what's standard? it's a small in line fuse holder with a sealed cap. could i use a breaker with a reset button like the trolling motor and jack plate use?
Posted By: John175☮

Re: what size fuse? - 08/09/17 11:06 PM

I have a 60a breaker for my panels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LZ7OO9K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: what size fuse? - 08/09/17 11:16 PM

Use a resettable circuit breaker and trip it when you are working on electrical stuff. Don't over fuse it. If you have #10 wire feeding the console, then use a 30A CB. Fusing beyond the rating of the wire is only asking for a fire. A larger fuse won't fix your issue of blowing it. A scredrive shorted across terminals will blow a 100A CB as fast as a 10A. 60A breaker is for the trolling motor and that is if the manual calls for it. The only place to use a 60A breaker is for the trolling motor and that is if the manual calls for it. There are places where bigger is better. This is not one of them.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: what size fuse? - 08/09/17 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: John175 ®
I have a 60a breaker for my panels.

htt
[url=ps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LZ7OO9K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1][url=ps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LZ7OO9K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1][url=ps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LZ7OO9K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1]ps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LZ7OO9K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url][/url][/url]

Man, i completely forgot about seeing one of those on my buddy's boat. didn't realize it was 60 amp. thanks.
Posted By: CADD

Re: what size fuse? - 08/10/17 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
Use a resettable circuit breaker and trip it when you are working on electrical stuff. Don't over fuse it. If you have #10 wire feeding the console, then use a 30A CB. Fusing beyond the rating of the wire is only asking for a fire. A larger fuse won't fix your issue of blowing it. A screwdriver shorted across terminals will blow a 100A CB as fast as a 10A. 60A breaker is for the trolling motor and that is if the manual calls for it. The only place to use a 60A breaker is for the trolling motor and that is if the manual calls for it. There are places where bigger is better. This is not one of them.

ditto
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum