Texas Fishing Forum

Lucas stop leak hydraulic fluid

Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Lucas stop leak hydraulic fluid - 07/27/17 02:57 PM

I was thinking about trying this in my tilt/trim on my Yamaha. It has a leaky seal and I don't have the time/cash to put it in the shop right now.

Might it work for a while?
Posted By: boatman025

Re: Lucas stop leak hydraulic fluid - 07/27/17 05:05 PM

don't think it will work trim rams are mushroomed and took out seal

if can help I can get ram and replace same day
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Lucas stop leak hydraulic fluid - 07/27/17 05:07 PM

My thoughts on stop leak type additives...what else is it going to stop in the system. It might work, then again, it might backfire and stop the whole system from operating, causing additional cost of removing, cleaning, replacing seals and pumps. I think I would continue to add fluid as needed until time/money allows for repair.

You might do a search on YouTube to see if the repair is something you can handle in a few hours, saving you time /money and accomplish the needed repair sooner.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Lucas stop leak hydraulic fluid - 07/27/17 07:39 PM

I put some Lucas stop leak in a power steering unit and it was like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound.
The only thing that stops a leaking seal is a new seal or all the fluid finally leaks out.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Lucas stop leak hydraulic fluid - 07/27/17 08:03 PM

I bought a tool to open them up and replaced the seals myself. Cost less than a shop.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Lucas stop leak hydraulic fluid - 07/27/17 09:37 PM

If your rams aren't mushroomed, then removing the caps and replacing the seals (likely where it's leaking) is pretty easy. If they are mushroomed... then it's a pain in the [censored] unless you just go ahead and buy the already assembled ram/cap/seal assembly. If you do that, each one is about $150. Part #: 64E-43820-09-00
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Lucas stop leak hydraulic fluid - 07/27/17 09:57 PM

My rams aren't mushroomed. I guess I'm gonna try to figure out which spanner I need to get the caps off and which seal kit I need. Its a '99 Yamaha 115 2 stroke.
Posted By: TrailHand

Re: Lucas stop leak hydraulic fluid - 07/27/17 11:03 PM

If you replace the seals and it still leaks around the cap/rams you may have worn out caps. I had that problem. new caps solved it.
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Lucas stop leak hydraulic fluid - 07/28/17 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: EastTexasBassin
My rams aren't mushroomed. I guess I'm gonna try to figure out which spanner I need to get the caps off and which seal kit I need. Its a '99 Yamaha 115 2 stroke.

Ignore the part # above then. Mine was a 225hp HPDI, but I got the trim caps off with this. https://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-pin-wrench-36554.html

The single tilt cap needs a different tool, but I didn't have to replace the seals on that one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum