Texas Fishing Forum

All Composite Hulls

Posted By: ROT Angler

All Composite Hulls - 06/07/17 03:07 PM

Around what year did manufactures get away from using wood in transoms and floors of fiberglass hulls, or have they? I know it will vary per manufacturer but I would like to know who does, or doesn't and what years they made the switch.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/07/17 10:02 PM

Skeeter was in 97 or 98.
Champion was around 2002 or 2003.
Posted By: gander

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/07/17 10:32 PM

After reading things on this forum about this exact subject.I take it just because you do not have a wood transom does not mean you are problem free when it comes to moisture/water issues regarding a transom.There are some very boat smart people that I am sure will respond to your question.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/08/17 02:38 AM

Triton was '97. I had on of the very first ones.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/08/17 11:39 AM

It started around 1990. Today top bass boats do not use wood. There are better products available for stiffness but wood is just cheaper and works well if done right and you seal it when you drill it.
Posted By: ROT Angler

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/08/17 12:56 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I have an older Skeeter and Ranger and it surprises me that they would cut out floor drains, exposing the wood core and just slap some carpet and a grate over it without sealing the exposed wood. Same issue with the holes for the thru hull fittings and anywhere else they drill and install anything. I have removed everything attached to the hull with a hole drilled in it and sealed them but it's good to know some manufacturers have stopped using wood.
Posted By: jackwabbit

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/08/17 07:20 PM

Skeeter was 96
Posted By: D Miner

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/09/17 03:14 AM

"Composite" just means a mix of materials, so you can have plywood in an "all composite" hull.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/09/17 04:15 PM

Water WILL delaminate layers of fiberglass (or ANY material) if it gets in & doesnt get out. Proper maintenance,sealing, & inspection has to be done on ANY hull. False security happens when the "marketing" ploy is used by claiming "All Composite Hull". Just be AWARE that All Composite does NOT mean maintenance free & you NEVER have to worry anout THAT hull. Sea Cast is about as water proof (least affected by water) as anything, but, if you're using it you've ALREADY past that stage. Its GOT to bond to something.
I laugh every time I hear someone say "I have an all composite hull so I dont have to worry about it". It's no use even trying to explain. I just snicker & walk away & say "OKAY".
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/09/17 06:01 PM

Fiberglass, costa board, klegecell and other materials used in hull laminates are all porous to water intrusion. The barrier is gel coat and sealants. Just like your shower stall if you let water into the laminate it will eventually give up and fail.

In other words it's mostly marketing blather and there is no such thing as a never fail hull.
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/09/17 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: ROT Angler
Around what year did manufactures get away from using wood in transoms and floors of fiberglass hulls, or have they? I know it will vary per manufacturer but I would like to know who does, or doesn't and what years they made the switch.
Was wondering same thing, What about Bass Cat???
Posted By: BCB

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/24/17 02:41 PM

Not disputing Pat, though gelcoat is permeable also which is why blisters can happen. Vinyl Ester barrier coats do reduce or prevent permeation, depending on the make up of the barrier coats. Some are not true vinyl ester barriers and hybrid barrier coats can absorb moisture. Then the application is critical also.

Bass Cat model year 2000 and later hulls are all fiberglass. That is Stringer, Transom, Hull and Flooring in totally fiberglass referenced materials. If you care for them then they should not suffer from water intrusion and the continued sealing of installed components is the maintenance area. Things like jack plates, engines, transducers, battery boxes, oil tanks and other brackets require inspection to prevent water intruding screw mounting holes.

Bass Cat hulls have absolutely zero foam core, Aires, Klegecell, Coosa board and other items which absorb moisture. The transoms are full width all fiberglass with a mixture of gel, resin glass and Spherecore. The glass stacked is 1.5 oz. fiberglass matting, 24 ounce woven roving, and a combo of 10 mm and 6 mm imported German Spherecore.

The newer Premium series hulls are all Vinyl Ester resin (AME-6001 or AME-6061) in the outside laminate of the deck and hull, and overall 60% of the entire laminate with a proprietary Isothalic resin back laminate structure. You can add the option if Vinyl Ester resin to the Advantage and Vision models also, a good idea if your keeping them as it should eliminate blistering. There is a Vinyl Ester barrier coat behind all BCB models gel coat, because gel coat is totally a porous material and permeable by water.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/24/17 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: ROT Angler
Thanks all for the replies. I have an older Skeeter and Ranger and it surprises me that they would cut out floor drains, exposing the wood core and just slap some carpet and a grate over it without sealing the exposed wood. Same issue with the holes for the thru hull fittings and anywhere else they drill and install anything. I have removed everything attached to the hull with a hole drilled in it and sealed them but it's good to know some manufacturers have stopped using wood.
I removed all screws in my Ranger and sealed. Anytime I screw something whether it is on cap or hull I seal screw holes. I just resealed everything on transom motor bolts included. Rangers that have the front live well are prone to the front deck getting soft around the seat base. Only problem I have had in 30 years. Reinforced that area a few years ago and it is solid as a rock now.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: All Composite Hulls - 06/24/17 05:17 PM

My statements were general and directed at the general "composite" statement most builders try to bs a gullible boat buyer.

Ricks attention to detail should make anyone looking at a hull and ask the question that goes deeper than "composite" and learn what really matters. The more you know the happier you'll be with your decision.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum