Texas Fishing Forum

Does mid grade oil do the trick?

Posted By: BCBassCat

Does mid grade oil do the trick? - 05/20/17 02:58 AM

Just had my xr6 rebuilt due to some over heating issues. Possible carburetor problem. No definite answer... How much difference is there between cheaper, mid, and higher end oil?
Posted By: YAMADOGGY

Re: Does mid grade oil do the trick? - 05/20/17 03:04 AM

new in 2000 use mid grade tcw3 never had a problem,,,,,there is gonna be all kinds of opinions im sure that's what I have done with my boat/motor
Posted By: YAMADOGGY

Re: Does mid grade oil do the trick? - 05/20/17 03:06 AM

YAMAHA VMAX 150
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Does mid grade oil do the trick? - 05/20/17 03:09 AM

I've always used the Merc Premium Plus in mine and mid-grade fuel as well as seafoam mix in my 2001 xr6 and it has done well and runs as good as the day I bought it new. I've always been one that believes you get what you pay for. Also lower unit service with water pump every other year with new plugs. I also replaced popet diaphragm and thermostats at 10 years.
Posted By: boocat

Re: Does mid grade oil do the trick? - 05/20/17 01:49 PM

for another couple of bucks, why not the good stuff?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Does mid grade oil do the trick? - 05/20/17 02:36 PM

I would use the oil that the easiest for you to get in a mid range price. I personally prefer Pennzoil Premium Plus. I like the price too.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Does mid grade oil do the trick? - 05/20/17 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
I would use the oil that the easiest for you to get in a mid range price. I personally prefer Pennzoil Premium Plus. I like the price too.

I also use Pennzoil Premium Plus.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Does mid grade oil do the trick? - 05/20/17 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: boocat
for another couple of bucks, why not the good stuff?

Given the cost of a rebuild or replacement, why skimp on something as cheap as oil. As far as I'm concerned, where my motor and wallet are concerned, the best is just barely good enough.

At the very least stay away from the Walmart and West Marine stuff. Pat Goff can probably tell you some stories about motors that are trashed after running a year on cheap oil.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum