Texas Fishing Forum

Marine Grade Plywood - where to buy?

Posted By: ETX_Chad

Marine Grade Plywood - where to buy? - 05/15/17 06:30 PM

Anyone know where you can purchase marine grade plywood in the DFW area? I have a friend restoring a boat but can't find it.
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: Marine Grade Plywood - where to buy? - 05/15/17 06:51 PM

fort worth plywood
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Marine Grade Plywood - where to buy? - 05/15/17 10:09 PM

The only difference between exterior and marine is that marine is not supposed to have voids in the layers of wood. Don't believe that. They both use the same type of glue and both should be coated with epoxy after installation.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Marine Grade Plywood - where to buy? - 05/16/17 04:19 AM

Look for a lumber yard near you. They should sell it and other types. Check and see if you even need it. When I replaced a deck on my last boat the lumber yard advised that I didn't need marine grade for that.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Marine Grade Plywood - where to buy? - 05/16/17 12:48 PM

there is a lot of difference in regular plywood an marine plywood if you don't believe it cut a piece of each 3 in by 3 in an put it in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks.
Posted By: fishin1228

Re: Marine Grade Plywood - where to buy? - 05/16/17 07:30 PM

regular treated plywood needs to have a layer of epoxy on it for sure . if you are replacing wood on a pontoon you need a layer of epoxy on both sides unless you get it from ft worth where we've bought it before for a toon
Posted By: CraZyNOTRT

Re: Marine Grade Plywood - where to buy? - 05/16/17 10:39 PM

When I rebuilt my transom I did not use marine plywood. its too expensive and hard to find. I used an high quality ACX rated plywood called AraucoPly. Stuff is super strong and has very little to no voids. Think I saw like 1-2 small voids out of both sheets. Homedepot may still sell it and I think lowes has it also.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Marine Grade Plywood - where to buy? - 05/21/17 08:30 PM

Their's quite a bit of difference actually. It's made of entirely Douglas Fir or Western Larch. It's graded B or better where Ext. Plywood is graded in the C range. Knots and knot holes..It can have knots but NO knot holes and comes sanded. Waterproof adhesives, thickness of layers, and the use of a sealer..... TOP SHELF of the PLYWOODS....$$$$$$$ !!!!!
Posted By: MAK747

Re: Marine Grade Plywood - where to buy? - 05/23/17 08:20 PM

Fort Worth Plywood is where I purchased it from. Be ready for some sticker shock!
Posted By: fishin1228

Re: Marine Grade Plywood - where to buy? - 05/24/17 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: MAK747
Fort Worth Plywood is where I purchased it from. Be ready for some sticker shock!

yep for sure
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum