Texas Fishing Forum

Need advice, Optimax 175 dies when idiling.

Posted By: Ricky1

Need advice, Optimax 175 dies when idiling. - 03/12/17 01:27 PM

Just got the engine back from shop which is 100 miles away but problem still exists. Thought I might get some ideas to check.
2014 Optimax 175 with 85 hours. Problem is the engine dies when idling. Will not re-start unless bulb is pumped up, it gets soft when it dies. Sometime when I try to plane off, the engine stalls then picks up and planes. Engine runs fine at higher rpm's with no issues.
No gas smell in storage areas or sump so I assume the hoses and bulb is fine.
Any input or ideas to check would be appreciated.
Ricky
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Need advice, Optimax 175 dies when idiling. - 03/12/17 02:15 PM

Pump up bulb and let sit for a while without starting the motor. If the bulb goes soft it may have a bad check valve. Replace the bulb. Cheap item. Other than that I have no idea?
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: Need advice, Optimax 175 dies when idiling. - 03/12/17 05:09 PM

If you can keep it running by pumping the bulb it could be a bad fuel pump.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Need advice, Optimax 175 dies when idiling. - 03/12/17 05:32 PM

I have seen a problem with some of the electric supply pumps.
Posted By: OPTI

Re: Need advice, Optimax 175 dies when idiling. - 03/12/17 07:57 PM

Could be pulse driven fuel pump or the electric low pressure fuel pump that keeps the vapor separator tank full where the high pressure pump in located or like earlier mentioned primer bulb or have even seen a stuck or sticking anti-siphoning valve cause this problem.....OPTI

Re: Need advice, Optimax 175 dies when idiling. - 03/13/17 11:21 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will be home this Wednesday and will check it out.
Ricky

Re: Need advice, Optimax 175 dies when idiling. - 03/22/17 03:11 PM

Guys,
Just got time to inspect the engine. I found one of the top lines from the VST that goes to the cover on top of the engine was not attached. I plugged the line in and changed the bulb, engine runs perfect again.
Thanks for all the replies.
Ricky
Posted By: OPTI

Re: Need advice, Optimax 175 dies when idiling. - 03/23/17 01:59 AM

It was more than likely the primer bulb that fixed the problem the line on top of VST is just the vent line for the VST Glad it running good for you....Opti
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum