Texas Fishing Forum

Seat Pedestal Removal

Posted By: pwarren

Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/27/17 03:28 PM

I need to remove the seat pedestal to replace it, but I have no idea how. Do I unscrew it? Does it just pop out? The base is located underneath the carpet and bolted into where the front cooler is. It's a 1992 Ranger 481V if that matters. I think it's the original pedestal. Pictures for reference:

Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/27/17 03:58 PM

unscrew to the left might be frozen on,
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/27/17 05:22 PM

it looks like someone has already taken a pipe wrench to it.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/27/17 05:23 PM

I have the same issue on mine.
Can't unscrew it with anything.
Posted By: StratVoodoo

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/27/17 06:56 PM

If you can apply it without getting any on the carpet, might want to put a penetrant on it and let it sit out in the sun for a while to heat up and try it. Fluid Film & Kano Kroil are two of the best I've seen at freeing up seized metal parts. Also, from the picture that looks like a Springfield Spring-Lock pedestal that's missing the release button. Can you see a black plastic piece inside the pedestal itself?
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/27/17 07:04 PM

i'll take a shot at it if you want to bring it up to denton, if i get it out, you mow my yard, lol, just kidding, or am i, lol, good trade???

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/27/17 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: StratVoodoo
If you can apply it without getting any on the carpet, might want to put a penetrant on it and let it sit out in the sun for a while to heat up and try it. Fluid Film & Kano Kroil are two of the best I've seen at freeing up seized metal parts. Also, from the picture that looks like a Springfield Spring-Lock pedestal that's missing the release button. Can you see a black plastic piece inside the pedestal itself?

I couldn't see anything in that little hole where it looks like the release button would be. At the same time, it's very difficult to see in that hole since it's so close to the carpet. I can certainly try to look in there again today after work. But you're right, it does look like that's what it would be. Just not sure how I could release it without anything in that hole.

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/27/17 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: spankyttx
i'll take a shot at it if you want to bring it up to denton, if i get it out, you mow my yard, lol, just kidding, or am i, lol, good trade???

Haha that would be a good trade if you were a lot closer. It would take me at least an hour 1 way to get to denton from my house.
Posted By: StratVoodoo

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/27/17 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: pwarren
Originally Posted By: StratVoodoo

I couldn't see anything in that little hole where it looks like the release button would be. At the same time, it's very difficult to see in that hole since it's so close to the carpet. I can certainly try to look in there again today after work. But you're right, it does look like that's what it would be. Just not sure how I could release it without anything in that hole.

The catch could still be in there if it is a Springfield. Might be able to press it with a screwdriver and rotate it out. The Spring Lock pedestals have a hook that catches the base and locks it in.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/28/17 01:44 PM

Go buy a large strap wrench (lkke for oil filters) use some pb blaster (spray the shaft and let it run down, protect carpet with plastic) you can put a cheater on the wrench so you can work it back n forth. Geg it broke loose and it should come out.
Posted By: ringer

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/28/17 01:54 PM

I fought this like hell on my Champ. The hole is the button and they probably pushed it all the way in trying to get the lower keeper to come out. I cut a U shaped slot in 3/4" plywood for the base and used 2x4 on both sides of the top and two bottle jacks. Get both tight and slowly jack up both sides. That got mine out then I bought the plastic insert that takes the hole down for a 3/4" pin base. I tried the strap wrench and even a pipe wrench with no luck.

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 02/28/17 02:51 PM

I was able to get it out with a pipe wrench. It took like 15-20 minutes of turning, but it eventually came out. It's not threaded but somehow turning it to the left "unscrewed" it and it came out. Thanks for all the help!

Posted By: EZ_Legend

Re: Seat Pedestal Removal - 03/01/17 02:41 AM

I keep a strap wrench handy. Don't go cutting out that insert, they are supposed to fit that way. I had a friend but a boat that someone cut out the plastic sleeves... needless to say the seat posts wobbled since.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum