Texas Fishing Forum

Motor "problem"

Posted By: EZ_Legend

Motor "problem" - 01/04/17 01:34 AM

On New Year's day I got out on the water and did the same startup, warmup and run as always. I was buzzing across the lake 35-40 mph and engine starts to bog and dies.

I tried to start with a couple of cranks and it tried too but didn't start.

I pulled the cowling and the breather and it was obvious that it flooded out.

Could this mean I need to rebuild carbs or does it sound like the electric choke kicked in?

I left it open and fished for about 45 minutes then it stared right up and no issues the rest of the day.

Never had this happen, never an issue cold starting or running.

It's a 1996 Johnson Fast Strike.

Thanks!
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Motor "problem" - 01/04/17 05:34 AM

If it ended up running fine the rest of day, and was good after that, I'd almost say it was just some sort of fluke and to not worry much about it. For some reason too much fuel got taken up. I really don't know, probably not a very good answer but I'd just keep an eye on it in the future, maybe run it on a hose the next couple days and observe? Have never had this issue with my 93 fast strike.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Motor "problem" - 01/04/17 01:18 PM

Intermittent issues almost always end up electrical. Like kill switch, ignition switch or power pack.

Re: Motor "problem" - 01/04/17 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: T-racer
If it ended up running fine the rest of day, and was good after that, I'd almost say it was just some sort of fluke and to not worry much about it. For some reason too much fuel got taken up. I really don't know, probably not a very good answer but I'd just keep an eye on it in the future, maybe run it on a hose the next couple days and observe? Have never had this issue with my 93 fast strike.

Thanks! It is definitely not normal. Someone suggested it might be the power pack beginning to go out. Thanks!

Re: Motor "problem" - 01/04/17 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
Intermittent issues almost always end up electrical. Like kill switch, ignition switch or power pack.

Gotcha, this is the second suggestion that referenced the power pack. Thanks!
Posted By: OPTI

Re: Motor "problem" - 01/07/17 02:47 AM

Power pack or possibly the optic sensor the sensor rarely fails but have seen it. Just a suggestion....OPTI

Re: Motor "problem" - 01/10/17 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: OPTI
Power pack or possibly the optic sensor the sensor rarely fails but have seen it. Just a suggestion....OPTI

Thank you!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum