Texas Fishing Forum

Jon Boat Trailer

Posted By: TexY3TI

Jon Boat Trailer - 12/01/16 08:06 PM

Hey everybody, This is my first post and I'm looking for some advice from boat owners.

I purchased my dad's 12' Jon boat 3 years ago and I've been taking it all over North Texas fishing and Hunting. I load it in and out of the back of my truck (some of you may have even seen me at your lakes.)

I need a trailer and could care less what it looks like as long as it is legal and can carry a boat.

I've had a few dead ends on craigslist, and have thought about buying a trailer to assemble from Harbour Freight. I don't want to put a bunch of money into this because I'm about a year or two away from buying a full sized boat.

Anybody have any ideas of places to look or cheap ideas to hack a regular trailer or any comments about whether buying a trailer in a box and putting it together is a good idea and will last long enough.

I'll post this in different forums so you may see this post again. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: ArgyleFloater

Re: Jon Boat Trailer - 12/02/16 12:30 AM

There is a guy in Fort Worth that I saw on Craig's List that had trailers listed starting @ $275. i think.
I lucked out...bought a mod v 14' boat with trailer for $300. Trailer was trash but an acquaintance of mine offered to sell me an old trailer for $50. By the time we fixed that one up, it cost me ~ $200.
I assume you have already looked on CL
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Jon Boat Trailer - 12/02/16 05:30 AM

I'll have a galvanized trailer for you in two weeks. Registered and good to go. Pm me if your interested.

Re: Jon Boat Trailer - 12/02/16 04:59 PM

Argyle, I did look on Craigslist and I try to check it on a regular basis. I know its going to be hard for me because its a great boat and I got a deal on it for $250.

And me being me I don't want to pay more for the trailer than I did for the boat.

I understand it may not happen, but I am hoping to luck into something or to run into somebody who has rigged something that would work.

Pat, Thanks for the reply. How much are we talking. A fully registered, Galvanized trailer may be more than I can spend.
Posted By: ArgyleFloater

Re: Jon Boat Trailer - 12/02/16 11:00 PM

Totally understand your reasoning but...you still have to get a trailer. I was in the same boat(no pun) until I happened on my trailer.
Good luck to you!

Re: Jon Boat Trailer - 12/03/16 01:31 PM

I hate the whole craigslist ordeal, I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than take those calls. The trailer is about 5 years old, tires are a year old, everything works. I'm thinking $300 if I don't have to deliver it.

Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Jon Boat Trailer - 12/04/16 12:55 PM

I have a couple that would work on a small boat. Your a ways off from me but this is free, just take boat that is on it.

Re: Jon Boat Trailer - 12/05/16 05:44 PM

Pat, that sounds like a great deal, and that price just fits what I can do. I really appreciate the offer, I just don't know that I would be able to make a trip like that for a while. I will continue to look, and just carry my boat to my duck hole until something comes through.

Thank you everyone for the considerations and I you guys come across anything keep me in the loop.

Re: Jon Boat Trailer - 12/06/16 12:34 AM

Where are you at?

Re: Jon Boat Trailer - 12/12/16 05:14 PM

Sherman, Tx
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum