Texas Fishing Forum

Winterizing Outboard

Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Winterizing Outboard - 12/01/16 03:11 PM

Alright guys, I've got a noob question, but don't wanna screw up my motor so I've got to ask. Have heard all sorts of things about winterizing your outboard, wanna get a true answer as to the best way to do it/what I need to do. I plan on fishing at least once a week or at the very least once every 2 weeks through most of the winter so I should be running the motor on a pretty regular basis. Mainly concerned about making sure I don't have any water in the engine when it does dip below freezing. Thoughts?
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Winterizing Outboard - 12/01/16 03:12 PM

trim the motor down all the way so the water runs out of the hub. Nothing else you need to do.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Winterizing Outboard - 12/01/16 03:22 PM

Might want to make sure that lower unit oil has no H2O in it.

Re: Winterizing Outboard - 12/01/16 04:19 PM

Is it common for water to be in the Lower unit oil?
And thanks Huck, figured I wouldn't have to do much since it will be running, just don't need my lower unit cracking. I'll trim it down when not in use.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Winterizing Outboard - 12/01/16 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: T-racer
Is it common for water to be in the Lower unit oil?

not unless you have a problem your unaware of. If your prop shaft seal is bad it's possible you have water in the lower.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Winterizing Outboard - 12/05/16 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: T-racer
Alright guys, I've got a noob question, but don't wanna screw up my motor so I've got to ask. Have heard all sorts of things about winterizing your outboard, wanna get a true answer as to the best way to do it/what I need to do. I plan on fishing at least once a week or at the very least once every 2 weeks through most of the winter so I should be running the motor on a pretty regular basis. Mainly concerned about making sure I don't have any water in the engine when it does dip below freezing. Thoughts?

Dumb question will the boat be garage kept or outdoors? If it's garage / storage room kept, just trim the motor all the way down until the water drains out. But like it was suggested be sure there's no water in the lower unit oil. I would change out the gear oil prior just to verify there's no water in it (will be milky colored)... Either way trim it down all the way. My last boat had zero issues and it was kept indoors and it stayed trimmed down when not in use.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Winterizing Outboard - 12/05/16 06:38 PM

Yep, trim it down when not in use, and use it often enough that winterizing isn't an issue.

Re: Winterizing Outboard - 12/09/16 05:08 PM

I think I'm using it often enough that winterizing isn't an issue. Really doesn't ever go longer than 2 weeks without being run. Have it trimmed all the way down right now for this little cold blast we are getting. Mike, it is kept outside though. I'm at college and enjoy fishing during the week, unfortunately covered boat storage isn't an option here, haha! I've got a cover on it at all times, best I can do.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum