Texas Fishing Forum

How fast do you lose Depth reading

Posted By: Rutster

How fast do you lose Depth reading - 11/30/16 05:12 PM

I have a question about Speedometers and bass boats in general. I have never seen a regular speed gauge work correctly, especially on modern bass boats. I have a Humminbird Helix 10 with 2 transducers. The side image on back and the puck in the hull. Obviously the side image doesn't work on plane and the Y splitter cable shifts to the puck. It works fine till I get up to around 40-50 then loses the reading. How am I supposed to know how deep it is while running 70?? how fast do you lose depth?
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 11/30/16 05:28 PM

Slow down if you don't know lake. I loose bottom at around 30 MPH. I have a big center console
and I have no need to run 70 even if it would.If it will read at 70 will bet it won't read right at idle .
I use mine to find fish . If you are a bass you probally just want to read structure.
Johnny
Posted By: TCK73

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 11/30/16 06:15 PM

Mine does not lose reading at any speed. It's on a CC and 48mph is top end. I still go slow over new water
Posted By: T Bird

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 11/30/16 06:16 PM

Try maxing out your ping speed.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 11/30/16 09:38 PM

Air bubbles is your culprit. If it was stuck down with quick cure epoxy, it'll be full of bubbles. Sonar does not ever shoot through air. Use fiberglass resin, it's thinner and sets slower. Prepping the spot, cleaning the spot and proper install will let the unit work at any speed you want to go.
Posted By: steve@S2Marine

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 11/30/16 10:06 PM

i loose reading as soon as i hit the gas.

i only have a transducer on my skid plate, well above the bottom of boat.
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 12/01/16 01:23 AM

If it would work at 70 , wouldn't it be too late to do anything if you ran over some shallow water ?
Not trying to be a smart _____ Just thinking, I don't run that hard if I'm not sure of the depth.
Posted By: ScottCook

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 12/01/16 01:30 AM

Interestingly, I'd lose depth at around 35 - 40mph with the Lowrance Elite 7 and a Lowrance through hull transducer. I've upgraded to the Helix 10, but still use the same transducer via an adapter, boat tops out between 55 and 60 depending on loading, and I don't lose depth at all now.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 12/01/16 05:27 AM

I lose it around 10 MPH. I just use my map card and know the lake. I wouldn't be running 70 if I didn't know the lake well enough to know the approximate depth and hazards.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 12/01/16 06:43 AM

My in hull transducer is epoxied in the very center back of the boat. If I stay trimmed down in relatively smooth water, I can go 60. Once I trim up and/or get air under the hull, I lose it.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 12/01/16 01:58 PM

I lose it around 30-35 with my Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp, transducer mounted on the transom. Same as above, usually just slow down if I don't know the lake, speed up when I do and go off GPS.
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 12/03/16 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
Air bubbles is your culprit. If it was stuck down with quick cure epoxy, it'll be full of bubbles. Sonar does not ever shoot through air. Use fiberglass resin, it's thinner and sets slower. Prepping the spot, cleaning the spot and proper install will let the unit work at any speed you want to go.

Pat hit this one outta the park. LOL Had to have the one in my new Ranger changed because it didn't read at speed. Tech told me it had air bubbles in epoxy and he ground it out and redid with slow drying epoxy and now it never goes away at any speed.
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 12/03/16 11:56 AM

Mine is a transom mounted.
Johnny
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 12/03/16 01:19 PM

Only ones that I have seen that never lose signal have the transducer laminated into the hull.
Posted By: Rutster

Re: How fast do you lose Depth reading - 12/06/16 04:06 PM

This is great info guys thanks a lot. Its not that I don't know where im going just like things to work the way they are supposed to work. Im not going to run WOP in places im not familiar with.

Thanks TFF
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum