Texas Fishing Forum

transom question

Posted By: ArgyleFloater

transom question - 11/01/16 02:52 PM

I am buying a Tohatsu 5hp motor, which weighs 57 lbs. I have a 14' aluminum jon type boat and was wondering if I can keep it mounted on the boat, versus taking it on/off everytime? I am getting old, fat, and cranky and would like to keep the motor mounted. My travel is usually no more than 30 minutes.
Problem with this thought?
Posted By: CADD

Re: transom question - 11/02/16 02:42 AM

I don't think it would do any harm, the transom gets lots of stress just motoring down the lake.

Travis
Posted By: Dmaxdriver

Re: transom question - 11/02/16 07:28 PM

the trick is to make sure the motor does not "bounce" when going down the road. it's those shock loads that break transoms. either use an outboard brace connected to the trailer, or in your case, I think a strong bungie cord around the lower unit and connected to the trailer itself would keep the bouncing to a minimum.

I used a brace on my 15ft alumacraft with a 25hp merc 2 cycle (cheap insurance in my mind). It didn't weigh much more than your Tohatsu
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: transom question - 11/02/16 09:44 PM

i have an 8hp Tohatsu/Nissan on my 12' jon boat that hasn't been taken off in at least a decade. And I've pulled it hundreds of miles. To keep it from bouncing I just put it in reverse and that engages the lock so that it doesn't lift up.
Posted By: ArgyleFloater

Re: transom question - 11/02/16 10:45 PM

Spoke with a marine mechanic today and he said no worries on it staying on the transom. The only thing he recommended was to put bolts through the transom at the mounting clamp. He said that is needed for more "sharp turns" out in the water, which sometimes twists the head and the clamps creep up the transom. he stated he has seen numerous engines do this that later became submarine engines.....
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: transom question - 11/03/16 09:48 PM

Yes bolt it on and use lock nuts and get a transom saver that goes from the lower unit to the trailer, if you have the time and metal you can make one.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: transom question - 11/03/16 11:01 PM

take engine off when done for the day, turn it around and remount to boat, let lower unit sit on seat.

there fixed it for ya. takes all the shock out and you don't have as much work to do.

also stores easier.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum