Texas Fishing Forum

MotorGuide Trolling Motor Issue - same speed for all settings

Posted By: Uncle Fish

MotorGuide Trolling Motor Issue - same speed for all settings - 10/31/16 07:16 PM

I need some assistance, as I'm leaving for a 3 day fishing trip with friends Tuesday night and ran across a problem yesterday working on the boat. I had the boat out last weekend and everything with the trolling motor worked fine. Those batteries were about 5 years old, so I replaced them new ones. When I hooked everything back up, the trolling motor worked, but all 5 settings were the same speed (appears that they are all on 5/High).

I assume I either hooked something up wrong or ironically, something went out in the handle/switch. I'm not very knowledgeable with wiring and one thing that puzzles me is the wiring setup. I have a 4 prong plug at the front of the boat, and have 3 wires running to the 2 batteries in the back of the boat: 2 wires are red, and 1 is black. I don't know what the other red cable is for? I tried hooking up the other red cable on the positive... then left it off completely. The trolling motor works either way, but no change in speed with the different settings.

My setup is as follows:
early 2000's model MotorGuide 71 lb thrust, 24 volt, 2 batteries (I have one red going to the positive on Battery 1 and one black going to the negative on Battery 2... then a jumper going from Battery 1 negative to Battery 2 positive). It's a hand control and you change the speed by turning the handles. I have 2 Big Foot on/off switches mounted... one on each side of the deck.

Any help is appreciated with 2 questions:
1. Any ideas what the other red cable is for and where should I connect it if needed?
2. Any suggestions as to why all of the 5 settings on the trolling motor are the same speed?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: militarybrat

Re: MotorGuide Trolling Motor Issue - same speed for all settings - 10/31/16 07:38 PM

2 reds and 1 black is a 12volt/24 volt setup. Try switching the 2 reds as you may have them reversed easy mistake to make.
Posted By: Uncle Fish

Re: MotorGuide Trolling Motor Issue - same speed for all settings - 10/31/16 08:39 PM

After speaking with a friend, the boat is probably wired for a 12/24 setup, but since my trolling motor is 24 volt only, the other red cable is not used. That would explain the extra cable. But I still have the issue of the trolling motor stuck in high speed only, even when I try turning the handle to other speeds.

Is it possible that it has to be in the water to work properly with the different speeds? Seems like a stupid question...lol. Just trying to think of possible issues.

My friend also said it might be the resistors on the circuit board, but that's beyond my abilities smile
Posted By: BOZZ

Re: MotorGuide Trolling Motor Issue - same speed for all settings - 10/31/16 10:08 PM

My motorguide had a toggle switch under the head that was for hi speed only.
Might check that.

Good Luck
Bozz
Posted By: Biscuits

Re: MotorGuide Trolling Motor Issue - same speed for all settings - 11/01/16 08:15 PM

Sounds like you have the switch on the pedal in rabbit position. Flip it back.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum