Texas Fishing Forum

OptiMax 2 Stroke Oil

Posted By: ABit

OptiMax 2 Stroke Oil - 10/21/16 02:54 PM

My Opti 200 is my first two stroke. When I bought it, it had blue oil in the reservoir in the back of my Nitro. After a discussion with Mercury, they suggested DFI Synthetic Blend.

Below is what I bought but the oil is brown which made me feel like I bought the wrong thing. Having Mercury brand and Quicksilver brand to choose from drives me nuts but maybe that's just me. I'll eventually figure it out.
Posted By: dustinmoorman

Re: OptiMax 2 Stroke Oil - 10/21/16 03:23 PM

I believe you're fine here. Someone with more knowledge and experience will chime in soon, but up until this point for me, I haven't really cared the color of the oil so much as the oil weight and viscosity. This stuff is getting burnt up anyway, and I'm sure blue looks better in a clear reservoir on a showroom floor than brown.

As long as my bottle of oil says TC-W3 it is getting mixed in my boat and burnt on the weekend.

cheers

Re: OptiMax 2 Stroke Oil - 10/21/16 04:51 PM

It just blew me away when I found it to be brown. I'm a car guy so when I see brown oil, I think engine oil.
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: OptiMax 2 Stroke Oil - 10/21/16 05:13 PM

Mercury and Quicksilver are exactly the same. The blue oil was probably Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus.
Posted By: NITRO Z8

Re: OptiMax 2 Stroke Oil - 10/22/16 12:21 AM

I use the DFI in my 200 HP and have now for 3 years. So I would say your fine with it.
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: OptiMax 2 Stroke Oil - 10/22/16 01:37 PM

The Opti / DFI oil is brown. You can run your oil reservoir down then just poor it in and go.

Re: OptiMax 2 Stroke Oil - 10/22/16 08:26 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I'll be siphoning out the remainder of what's left in the tank and switching to the DFI!
Posted By: rooster tail

Re: OptiMax 2 Stroke Oil - 10/28/16 05:59 PM

You can mix the 2 oils. As per Mercury recommendation only use dfi oil in your optimax and pro xs. Several years ago Mercury said you can use the blue oil but later changed that and said only use dfi ! Do to studies. Please take the time to research this yourself on Mercury's website.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum