Texas Fishing Forum

New Ignition Switch

Posted By: ABit

New Ignition Switch - 10/04/16 12:32 AM

So my ignition switch on my 2012 Nitro Z8 is givin me hell. I plan to order a new one with wires and splice them into the existing connection clip. Any good or bad luck with ignition brands.

Spending $20 on something that could fail when I'm miles from a ramp makes me nervous. As always, thanks guys.
Posted By: OPTI

Re: New Ignition Switch - 10/04/16 02:19 AM

I would suggest buying a mercury switch instead of the aftermarket switches that is in most boats....OPTI

Re: New Ignition Switch - 10/04/16 12:46 PM

Is it normal for a Mercury switch to only last 4 years?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: New Ignition Switch - 10/04/16 01:10 PM

What kind of motor? It was most likely a OEM switch that failed. I have been having to change too many late model ign. switch`s on Merc 4 stroke outboards. Also seeing some starter problems with late model Mercs. I have not had any problems with Sierra ignition switch`s. "Heck" they are all made in Mexico. When you splice the new switch in, solder and shrink wrap the connections.

Re: New Ignition Switch - 10/05/16 12:46 AM

It's a Mercury. I just ordered a new one online from Overtons for $20. I'll post a review on how it works.
Posted By: dustinmoorman

Re: New Ignition Switch - 10/24/16 01:34 AM

I replaced mine early this year with the Sierra International push to choke unit and it works fantastically. Not sure if that's the one you got from Overtons but they are pretty simple mechanisms and shouldn't fail easily if they're new.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New Ignition Switch - 10/24/16 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: dustinmoorman
I replaced mine early this year with the Sierra International push to choke unit and it works fantastically. Not sure if that's the one you got from Overtons but they are pretty simple mechanisms and shouldn't fail easily if they're new.

This. After I left my keys on the truck bumper one day, I went with a Sierra. Never a problem from either. The original was 18 years old. Worked great. Just, like Gary said, shrink the connections. On mine, I didn't have to cut and splice. I cleaned the contacts with 600 grit paper and tightened them down and shrinked over them.

Good as new.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum